Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

The "SMD" portion of the description is how many LED panels are on the fixture. 5 panels vs 18 panels.

The 18SMD should fit as it is the same length as the 5SMD according to the dimensions. However, it looks like the 18SMD might be mono-directional, meaning it will only put out light in one direction. That would be fine for the dome lights, but I think it could make the footwells look strange because of the orientation of the footwell receptacle. However, I do see that they are polar, meaning that they have to be inserted in a specific direction in order to work properly.

Edit: since they are 18SMD, that means they have panels on both sides. Should be good to go!

Thanks. I had no clue what the SMD was. Thanks for the great explanation. :D

Reactions: nk24
Just thought I would throw in my results since I decided to go with “warm white” and no one else has a photo.
View attachment 62150
View attachment 62151

The color is pretty much spot on with stock, just much brighter. My only thing is that the HVAC symbols came out more a whiteish-blue than the original color that matched with everything else. Which is weird because the LEDs are the exact same color as the bulbs I pulled out.

Wish I could see a side by side image of warm white and bright white. I was about to order bright white. But with all the comments about them not dimming. I'm wondering if warm white might be the sweet spot. These look pretty nice. And I don't mind the heater controls either.

Anyone try warm white next to bright white?

I did this mod back in 2013 and it has been a great, trouble free upgrade. The only problem is that now you notice how dim the radio is. There was/is a write up somewhere on the world wide web that shows how to disassemble the factory radio and install leds. I'm hoping someone reading this has a link to that thread as I can't seem to find it regardless of how i word the search.

I did this mod back in 2013 and it has been a great, trouble free upgrade. The only problem is that now you notice how dim the radio is. There was/is a write up somewhere on the world wide web that shows how to disassemble the factory radio and install leds. I'm hoping someone reading this has a link to that thread as I can't seem to find it regardless of how i word the search.

Which stock stereo do you have? Might be alot cheaper to replace with an aftermarket. And you'll probably end up with a way better stereo. That lights up as bright as you want it. Plus if you have the smaller stereo you can put in one with a removable faceplate. And a double din would for sure be a huge upgrade with whats offered on those currently.

Yeah, i forgot to mention that. I'm not going aftermarket just because people don't steal factory radios. Been that way sense I had one stolen decades ago & a jeep being the secure vehicles they are, I'm just not interested. Plus, I'm not an audiophile so the factory head unit is fine with me & I'm not the kind of guy thats going to walk around with a faceplate in my pocket. That is if I even remember to take it with me in the first place. :)
As far as cost, I know how to solder so I'm thinking it only going to cost the price of bulbs.
Here's a picture that I pulled off the internet of the kind of radio I have.

Yeah, i forgot to mention that. I'm not going aftermarket just because people don't steal factory radios. Been that way sense I had one stolen decades ago & a jeep being the secure vehicles they are, I'm just not interested. Plus, I'm not an audiophile so the factory head unit is fine with me & I'm not the kind of guy thats going to walk around with a faceplate in my pocket. That is if I even remember to take it with me in the first place. :)
As far as cost, I know how to solder so I'm thinking it only going to cost the price of bulbs.
Here's a picture that I pulled off the internet of the kind of radio I have.
View attachment 80030

Ya know. Those are some very good points. I only have a removable faceplate stereo because the PO put one in. After reading your comments. I think I'd rather have a stock stereo. Taking the faceplate on and off is a PITA. Good points.

Reactions: Sam Solo
Yep, I've refrained from looking up new radios for the same reasons as @Sam Solo, but I am a bit of an audiophile. Right now I'm doing the research on the stereo system to see how much I can upgrade before the new parts exceed the capability of the factory unit.

I also need to do this lighting mod.. Pretty sure that, aside from my gauge cluster, only about half of my interior lights actually still function. The Locker light is intermittent, trending towards never, the shifter light hasn't worked since I bought it. HVAC panel lights don't work, passenger footwell doesn't work, etc..

Well just ordered the necessary bulbs. Should be here Thursday. Will.post pics when done went with cool white clusters and blue interior. Hope it looksbadass.

Can we get a idea on how to remove dash and change those bulbs?
There are several how-to videos on Youtube. The one I had bookmarked looks like it has been removed for some reason. It's fairly straightforward and you only need basic tools.

Hey guy's, I just got my lights in for the floors and sound bar. I have one slight problem. I can't find the passenger floor light. LOL I thought it was burnt out because I have never had light over there since I got the Jeep. Went to put the new led light in, and I don't see a place for it. Does a 1999 TJ Sport have a passenger floor light?? If so, can someone give me some insight on where it would be hiding? LOL

Ok, I think I may have figured it out. Maybe. Here is a pic of my passenger side looking up under the dash. The green circle is a plug that is missing what ever plugs into it. The red sqiuble (sp) is where I think the light is supposed to go, but mine is gone. There is a hole just to the left of that Philips screw. I am guessing that the fixture probably attaches to the hole and held in by the Phillips screw?

IMG_1138.jpg

@Chris or @nk24 or anyone else that has done this. I'm looking at the link on the first page for the HVAC and Rocker Switch lights. The product page linked on Superbright LEDs Doesn't seem to match what I have in my Jeep. The NEO4 that is direct linked is definitely not correct, when I look at the dimensional drawings. NEO3 seems close, but still not exact. Any ideas?

@Chris or @nk24 or anyone else that has done this. I'm looking at the link on the first page for the HVAC and Rocker Switch lights. The product page linked on Superbright LEDs Doesn't seem to match what I have in my Jeep. The NEO4 that is direct linked is definitely not correct, when I look at the dimensional drawings. NEO3 seems close, but still not exact. Any ideas?

Oh man, it's been a while so I can't recall for sure, but I can tell you for 100% certain that it was either the 3mm or 4mm bulbs, and they did indeed fit. I want to say it was the 3mm, but I know I ordered both just to be certain, but one of them definitely fits, I guarantee it.

I wish I could confirm which one it was for sure. If you end up finding out, let me know, that way I can edit the original post if need be.

The neo4 fit in the bottom of the switches and light up the icons. The neo3 bulbs fit in the top of the switches and light up the on/off indicator.

Reactions: Mike_H
Thanks for the awesome write up! Does anyone know which bulbs are in the rearview mirror lights? I'd like to replace those too with red LEDs, but not sure how to identify the correct LEDs

Thanks for the awesome write up! Does anyone know which bulbs are in the rearview mirror lights? I'd like to replace those too with red LEDs, but not sure how to identify the correct LEDs

You have lights in your rearview mirror?

I want lights in my rearview mirror.. wtf. :p