Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Yeah I think they are called map lights. I replaced all my other interior lights with red LEDs, but the map lights are white-ish and sorta throw it all off. Planning on taking the rearview mirror assembly apart this weekend to see what I can figure out

Reactions: Zaythedad
I did mine last week. Not bad at all. I didn't read the write-up on the toggle switches (rear wiper and O/D)... thinking it was the LED on top. I might have to buy new switches due to the orange light not engaging once the switches are turned on.

I did mine last week. Not bad at all. I didn't read the write-up on the toggle switches (rear wiper and O/D)... thinking it was the LED on top. I might have to buy new switches due to the orange light not engaging once the switches are turned on.
The led on top of the switches is a different size than the bulb on the bottom. You shouldn't need new switches, just the correct bulb: NEO3 for top, NEO4 for bottom.

The led on top of the switches is a different size than the bulb on the bottom. You shouldn't need new switches, just the correct bulb: NEO3 for top, NEO4 for bottom.
Yeah, I had a few beers down... I was jamming the neo4 where the neo3 goes. Broke the silver/metal connectivity part to the bulbs. I got it to work after using some electric-tape, keep the bulb in place.

Took apart the mirror and pulled the map light boards. I don't have much soldering experience but it looks pretty straightforward. These are 5mm diameter, and I want to do all red, but how not sure which viewing angle or if there are any amp/volt considerations. Any suggestions on selecting replacements?

angleview.png

bottomview.png

topview.png

It looks to me like there normal 5mm leds and any amp/volt requirements are being handled elsewhere in the chain and not on that board. If that is indeed the case, then it's just a matter of de soldering the white led's and replacing them with red ones.

Finished replacing the map lights with all red LEDs. I used two of these in the middle and four of these on the edges. They were a little tricky to get in there but it helped to put them into the clear lens assembly so that they didn't move while I was soldering. I'm quite pleased with the outcome, hard to capture in a picture but it looks really neat at night.

Finished up my dashboard with white LED's, was way better.
I ordered the leds for fotwell and hvac as well, but the led's in the guide isn't the same socket type that is in my car.
I think the hvac is t5 and the fotwell is 1157 socket or something like that. weird.

Finished up my dashboard with white LED's, was way better.
I ordered the leds for fotwell and hvac as well, but the led's in the guide isn't the same socket type that is in my car.
I think the hvac is t5 and the fotwell is 1157 socket or something like that. weird.
Which year is your TJ? The HVAC bulbs on 1997 slider controls may be different than 1998-2006 dial controls.

Nope. But the hvac bulb looks like this:

View attachment 85741
That bulb looks a bit larger than the NEO4. I'm guessing it could be a NEO5 (5mm). Did it twist out with a quarter-turn?

Just a heads up @Chris, once we determine the correct bulb, we may need to update the bulb list for the HVAC sliders on 1997 models.