Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Updated the overheads with cool white, and dash panel, climate & floor wells with red. The dash and floor looks great, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the red climate knob backlight.

I'd done this swap before in my old Ranger pickup, and it wasn't much different in the Jeep. Pretty effortless and quick, though I guess this means I'll have to upgrade my stereo to make the colors match.

Oh, darn.

Thanks to @nk24 for all this information!

Below you'll find a guide to replacing all the interior lights on your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LED bulbs. There's links to the bulbs you'll need, and you should find it's a pretty straight forward job.

Depending on what model of Jeep you have (i.e. Rubicon, Sport, etc.), you may need more or less bulbs for your rocker switches. I say that because an automatic Rubicon with a hardtop has 4 rocker switches, whereas a Sport model with a manual transmission and no hardtop may only have 1 rocker switch. It just depends on your model and factory options.

Parts Required (1997-2002)
Parts Required (2003-2006)
Tips
  • Rocker switch lights: You'll need 4mm LEDs for the switch light illumination bulbs, and 3mm LEDs for the switch indicators (the lights that come on when you turn the with to the on position). The number you need of each depends on how many your particular model has.
  • If you have a Rubicon model, don't bother trying to replace the axle locker switch unless you're experienced with soldering, as those bulbs require soldering.
  • Remember that the cluster and the rocker switch lights are polar, meaning that they have to be oriented in the correct direction. Make sure you test them before you button everything back up.
  • LED replacements are much brighter than the stock bulbs. If you're going to do one switch with LED, I would recommend doing them all.
  • There are a few differences for the '97-'02 models. Cluster and rocker switches are the same as above. There is only one light in the soundbar, and that is the same as the footwells/shifter as shown above. There is a separate light in the rear of the hard top, and that is the same as the lights in the sound pods as shown above.
Hey, thank you for the write up. On my 1998 Sport, the instructions for the instrument cluster worked fine. However, there's only one footwell on the drivers side ( at least that's all I could find anyway ), and the LED bulb does not fit.

I have the slider heater and cooler unit as well and couldn't get the 3 hvac bulbs in the guide to work to replace these:

and I've also got this bulb in my hard top which makes sense that it doesn't work as its not a factory hard top.

just wondering if there were LEDs that would work out in my case. Thank you for all of your help!

Hey, thank you for the write up. On my 1998 Sport, the instructions for the instrument cluster worked fine. However, there's only one footwell on the drivers side ( at least that's all I could find anyway ), and the LED bulb does not fit. View attachment 89054
I have the slider heater and cooler unit as well and couldn't get the 3 hvac bulbs in the guide to work to replace these: View attachment 89055
and I've also got this bulb in my hard top which makes sense that it doesn't work as its not a factory hard top.View attachment 89057
just wondering if there were LEDs that would work out in my case. Thank you for all of your help!

All you would need for that is a 1156 LED bulb such as these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A77UHG2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I wasn't 100% certain about the 98 models. They did a lot of things differently on the earlier ones.

Reactions: planb1991
If youre wanting to light up your footwells while driving then some led light strips may be the way to go (which I have although they were not on in my previous pic). I bought mine from autozone for around $25.

If you’re asking where the footwell light is to replace with an led, look at the attached image. It’s simply held on with a screw.
View attachment 72864
So this afternoon I tried wiring in new LED footwell lighting. When I bought the Jeep it had none whatsoever, so I figured I could tie into the door switch/sound bar lighting to make it happen but what I got was reversed lighting...when the door was open the sound bar lights were on and the new footwell lighting was off and vise-versa. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no electrician, but I can’t for the life of me figure this out. Any help or advice would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

So this afternoon I tried wiring in new LED footwell lighting. When I bought the Jeep it had none whatsoever, so I figured I could tie into the door switch/sound bar lighting to make it happen but what I got was reversed lighting...when the door was open the sound bar lights were on and the new footwell lighting was off and vise-versa. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no electrician, but I can’t for the life of me figure this out. Any help or advice would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
I do have two of these unused connections on both sides in the footwells. Green and yellow are the wire colors. If that helps anyone?
FCC1F4EF-63C1-4315-8C0C-6A80C8F178F3.jpeg

I do have two of these unused connections on both sides in the footwells. Green and yellow are the wire colors. If that helps anyone?

Those are the connections for the footwells lighting, check to see if they have power when your door is open, if so use them. If not it is probably a matter of inserting a missing fuse.

Those are the connections for the footwells lighting, check to see if they have power when your door is open, if so use them. If not it is probably a matter of inserting a missing fuse.
Thankin ya!
AEB29B0E-CA05-4ED5-9377-CC668F82C4B8.jpeg

Awesome looks great! Almost thought that was my Jeep, looks almost the same! I think the blue looks great
Thanks dude! I kinda felt obligated to go with the blue lighting beings my Jeep is patriotic blue. Really ties things together. Now if they’d only make some American flag seat covers, American flag floor carpeting, and an exhaust system that howled “These colors don’t run” I’d be about done with mods. LOL

Reactions: Cornbread
Hey, thank you for the write up. On my 1998 Sport, the instructions for the instrument cluster worked fine. However, there's only one footwell on the drivers side ( at least that's all I could find anyway ), and the LED bulb does not fit. View attachment 89054
I have the slider heater and cooler unit as well and couldn't get the 3 hvac bulbs in the guide to work to replace these: View attachment 89055
and I've also got this bulb in my hard top which makes sense that it doesn't work as its not a factory hard top.View attachment 89057
I think you need a number 74 for the slider controls and a number 67 for the foot wells. I bought mine from superbrightleds

I have some questions and a problem. I changed all the exterior and interior bulbs to led. Most of the bulbs I got from superbrightleds or Amazon. My Jeep is a 98 Sahara. I ordered the suggested flasher from superbrightleds and it was the wrong one. I needed a ep26 which I finally found locally at O’reillys. When I removed the instrument panel to change the 5 main light bulbs I noticed some of the smaller bulbs were missing, the 4 wheel drive high and the washer fluid bulbs. I moved the upshift bulb over to the four wheel drive high opening since my Jeep is an automatic but it still didn’t light up when I put in four wheel drive high. Any thoughts?? Where do I find the missing bulbs with the socket? Also when I use the turn signals in the daytime the odometer flashes also? If I turn the headlights on the odometer doesn’t flash. Help?

Did you replace the side marker lights on your front fenders
I have some questions and a problem. I changed all the exterior and interior bulbs to led. Most of the bulbs I got from superbrightleds or Amazon. My Jeep is a 98 Sahara. I ordered the suggested flasher from superbrightleds and it was the wrong one. I needed a ep26 which I finally found locally at O’reillys. When I removed the instrument panel to change the 5 main light bulbs I noticed some of the smaller bulbs were missing, the 4 wheel drive high and the washer fluid bulbs. I moved the upshift bulb over to the four wheel drive high opening since my Jeep is an automatic but it still didn’t light up when I put in four wheel drive high. Any thoughts?? Where do I find the missing bulbs with the socket? Also when I use the turn signals in the daytime the odometer flashes also? If I turn the headlights on the odometer doesn’t flash. Help?