Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

eBay depending what year tj,I used auto meter push buttons to hold it on

F4FC9920-4654-4080-B73D-EF3204DB2F37.png

I have the dash pod but would prefer A pillar. Looks like they list that for 03-06 only for some reason. I wonder what the difference is....

Oh, so maybe I can just add the A pillar covers from a '03+ and run them? Remind me to look at yours next time we do beers. That looks a lot cleaner to me instead of on top of the center bezel. Bonus points for getting my center bezel tray back so I can store...... absolutely nothing that will stay put anyways. But I want it anyways 😎

Reactions: Irun
I didn’t think about pre-1998 models with the different HVAC controls. Good catch.
Hey thanks for the guide. BUT...I did not read the whole thread. Just ordered based on the first post. As luck would have it, my 97 also has different HVAC bulbs. Also only one footwell bulb on the driver's side. If you can still edit that post, (I know it's been a few years and a lot of forums have time frames to allow edits), could you change the info so it's updated? I think also that superbrightleds now has a guide system on the sight by model, but it does not seem to be entirely accurate either. Said they have no 1157 bulbs for my TJ tail lights when they did have some dual function bulbs. I'm gonna call them tomorrow since I gotta get an RMA on these HVAC bulbs which will likely not be worth it, but I honestly have nowhere else that I can use these. lol

I followed the guide for my 05 LJ Rubicon and I had trouble with the dome lights. The LED module is actually a fair bit longer than the incandescent bulb, and I didn't notice it at first. The first LED module got ruined in the learning process (it has to be very carefully installed, rather than my usual "cram it in there" approach.)

I also had trouble with the indicator LED for my rear window defroster. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to make consistent contact in the switch housing, so I ended up going back to the OEM bulb for that. It doesn't really matter because it lights up an amber piece of plastic, so the color difference isn't apparent as with all the other white LEDs.

How do you pop off the dome lights in the sound bar? Is it just as simple as putting a small screw driver under the edge?
Yes, they should just pry off with a screwdriver or a thin trim removal tool.

Since I just bought a new to me 2004 Rubicon, I decided to do this mod again. I also wanted to verify that everything I said above was correct.

Here are some photos for the lights in the rocker switches. Once you pull out the frame for the switches (and power outlets), you'll see this:

View attachment 32888

To get to the main switch light, you need to pull each switch from the frame. It is much easier to do if you unplug each of the switches and outlets. There are clips on both top and bottom. Pry the clips carefully with a very small flat screwdriver or a thin trim removal tool. Be very careful as these clips are easy to break. Once you get a switch out, you'll see this:

I didn't attempt to swap these bulbs, as it appears there would need to be some soldering. I'm sure someone with the right expertise would have no problem.

The finished product:

You can see that the Axle Lock switch is a touch dim compared to the other switches (since I didn't swap it), but it isn't drastically different. I can definitely live with it. Also, I wanted to show the indicator light on the rear defrost switch because I didn't change that one either and it still looks pretty good. I'd be curious to see how bright it is with an LED if someone were to determine the bulb.
I just made the upgrade... I want to add where to stick the screwdriver.... the upper part is easy but you will need to create a gap in the lower part of the swtich like I'm showing here:

20230205_160543.jpg

The dimmer is still working in my 06 rubicon, and the difference is just amazing,

off :
20230205_160900.jpg

on:

20230205_160840.jpg

and while you are already there... dont forget to add the locker bypass to be able to activate your lockers on whatever transfer position under 10 mph,

FB_IMG_1675875499058.jpg

@Chris do you have any more info and pictures about the soldered led for the Axle locker switch? mine stopped working and I'm kind of afraid to solder/break something while changing it to a led..

@Chris do you have any more info and pictures about the soldered led for the Axle locker switch? mine stopped working and I'm kind of afraid to solder/break something while changing it to a led..

Unfortunately I do not. I did this so long ago that I can hardly even remember. All I know is that it was very easy to do.

Reactions: Don Bulee
Has anyone put these LEDs into a 2000 TJ and still had the full dimming range from the OEM switch?

Unfortunately I do not. I did this so long ago that I can hardly even remember. All I know is that it was very easy to do.

do you believe in miracles? the light on my Axle Locker switch was out..... and suddently after I hit a pothole the light in the swtich came back to life!!! is pretty decent that way so I don't think I'm going to change to LED unless it goes bad again..

Has anyone put these LEDs into a 2000 TJ and still had the full dimming range from the OEM switch?

I just did with my 06 with LEDs from amazon, all the dimming range is good with OEM switch..

Reactions: Chris