Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Yes, I got the front turn signal and side marker bulbs from Amazon, made by the same manufacturer

Last edited:
Hm. Try pulling those lights.
That was the problem, I removed them and the odometer quit blinking. So I had some white led bulbs by another manufacturer so I put them in and they work fine. I looked again at the description of the first bulb on Amazon and it said it was can-bus error free for most vehicles but the error free capability may limited to the newest vehicles (especially Europeon vehicles and Jeep) when use them as exterior lights. Sorry their broken wording. I didn’t think of a 21 year old Jeep being newer! I don’t understand what the can-bus error free means?

Reactions: Cole
Any update on which bulbs for the HVAC slider are correct for the 98?
I did get around to changing my burnt out HVAC slider bulbs this weekend and they are the number 74 and there are 2 of them. I got mine from superbrightleds.

Reactions: Cole
That was the problem, I removed them and the odometer quit blinking. So I had some white led bulbs by another manufacturer so I put them in and they work fine. I looked again at the description of the first bulb on Amazon and it said it was can-bus error free for most vehicles but the error free capability may limited to the newest vehicles (especially Europeon vehicles and Jeep) when use them as exterior lights. Sorry their broken wording. I didn’t think of a 21 year old Jeep being newer! I don’t understand what the can-bus error free means?
Can-Bus refers to the computer which runs the vehicle indicators and notifications (access through it is the OBD port below the steering column). This systems is what monitors and turns on your 'check engine' light when it senses something wrong. A lot of newers cars, simply replacing a bulb with a different model can trigger errors, etc. Just have to do your research. I access mine on my VW GLI to change odd things (how the doors open, how many flashes of the turn signals when I use the momentary, change running light operations, etc.)

Reactions: TDB55
I'm about to do this now... with the HVAC controls is there already a greenish filter over the lights? For example the automatic shifter lights already have a green tint so putting in a red light would look weird.

I'm about to do this now... with the HVAC controls is there already a greenish filter over the lights? For example the automatic shifter lights already have a green tint so putting in a red light would look weird.
The bulbs themselves have a rubber film on them that provides the greenish tint, so it won't be there when you replace them with LEDs.

The bulbs themselves have a rubber film on them that provides the greenish tint, so it won't be there when you replace them with LEDs.
Are they the same type as the ones in the dash with the blue gel coating? I'm only asking because that doesn't seem to give a blue tint

So if doing LEDs inside the TJ, does anyone know the number to replace a bulb 89? I have a 97 Sahara and the interior courtesy lamps are bulb 89.

Thanks to @nk24 for all this information!

Below you'll find a guide to replacing all the interior lights on your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LED bulbs. There's links to the bulbs you'll need, and you should find it's a pretty straight forward job.

Depending on what model of Jeep you have (i.e. Rubicon, Sport, etc.), you may need more or less bulbs for your rocker switches. I say that because an automatic Rubicon with a hardtop has 4 rocker switches, whereas a Sport model with a manual transmission and no hardtop may only have 1 rocker switch. It just depends on your model and factory options.

Parts Required (1997-2002)

Parts Required (2003-2006)

Tips
  • Rocker switch lights: You'll need 4mm LEDs for the switch light illumination bulbs, and 3mm LEDs for the switch indicators (the lights that come on when you turn the with to the on position). The number you need of each depends on how many your particular model has.
  • If you have a Rubicon model, don't bother trying to replace the axle locker switch unless you're experienced with soldering, as those bulbs require soldering.
  • Remember that the cluster and the rocker switch lights are polar, meaning that they have to be oriented in the correct direction. Make sure you test them before you button everything back up.
  • LED replacements are much brighter than the stock bulbs. If you're going to do one switch with LED, I would recommend doing them all.
  • There are a few differences for the '97-'02 models. Cluster and rocker switches are the same as above. There is only one light in the soundbar, and that is the same as the footwells/shifter as shown above. There is a separate light in the rear of the hard top, and that is the same as the lights in the sound pods as shown above.
The links to the lights are blocked. Old link ?

Anyone know where to get a replacement cover for the interior hardtop light cover? I replaced the LED bulb, but would like to replace the cover also.