Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

Reactions: JW-RGV
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I have an instrument cluster light out that has been bugging me. Ordered red instrument cluster LEDs, footwell LED's and extra bright reverse lights. Hopefully I'll be able to see where I'm going now. Got a 5% discount after signing up for their email.

I had replaced all my interior lamps with SuperBright LEDs (not the cluster dimmable ones) and the OEM cargo light (top rear of hard top) remained dismally dim, while the sound bar lamp was beautifully bright. I orderd on of these ebay clear lenses and it made all the difference. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: nk24
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I had replaced all my interior lamps with SuperBright LEDs (not the cluster dimmable ones) and the OEM cargo light (top rear of hard top) remained dismally dim, while the sound bar lamp was beautifully bright. I orderd on of these ebay clear lenses and it made all the difference. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have a link to a clear lens for the soundbar 97-02 (if it matters)?

Thanks to @nk24 for all this information!

Below you'll find a guide to replacing all the interior lights on your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LED bulbs. There's links to the bulbs you'll need, and you should find it's a pretty straight forward job.

Depending on what model of Jeep you have (i.e. Rubicon, Sport, etc.), you may need more or less bulbs for your rocker switches. I say that because an automatic Rubicon with a hardtop has 4 rocker switches, whereas a Sport model with a manual transmission and no hardtop may only have 1 rocker switch. It just depends on your model and factory options.

Parts Required (1997-2002)

Parts Required (2003-2006)

Tips
  • Rocker switch lights: You'll need 4mm LEDs for the switch light illumination bulbs, and 3mm LEDs for the switch indicators (the lights that come on when you turn the with to the on position). The number you need of each depends on how many your particular model has.
  • If you have a Rubicon model, don't bother trying to replace the axle locker switch unless you're experienced with soldering, as those bulbs require soldering.
  • Remember that the cluster and the rocker switch lights are polar, meaning that they have to be oriented in the correct direction. Make sure you test them before you button everything back up.
  • LED replacements are much brighter than the stock bulbs. If you're going to do one switch with LED, I would recommend doing them all.
  • There are a few differences for the '97-'02 models. Cluster and rocker switches are the same as above. There is only one light in the soundbar, and that is the same as the footwells/shifter as shown above. There is a separate light in the rear of the hard top, and that is the same as the lights in the sound pods as shown above.

Thank you a lot for the helpful content, today I am more in love with my TJ. I changed the Soundbar + footwell lights to LEDs.
The light is way better than before.

I bought:
Philips T10/194 bulbs

IMG_6233.jpg

Reactions: Chris and xxdabroxx
Mine came in last night, might install some this afternoon. I'm hoping the extra bright reverse lights I ordered help.

Didn't want to change all the lights, as for now I am fine with the soundbar and footwell.

Let's see how things goes with you.

I put red LED's in the dash too. I have one that isn't working though so I'll have to pull it back out and flip it around to see if I can get it working. They are hard to see if they're working until it gets dark out. Look really nice in the dark though. I like the red for not screwing up your night vision as much, easy on the eyes.

Reactions: mushdogs
I put red LED's in the dash too. I have one that isn't working though so I'll have to pull it back out and flip it around to see if I can get it working. They are hard to see if they're working until it gets dark out. Look really nice in the dark though. I like the red for not screwing up your night vision as much, easy on the eyes.
I went with red for the cluster lights too, for the same reason. Although I read somewhere that the green accomplishes the same thing, I’m just old school I guess. I didn’t change the lights in the enviro controls or any switches, for the simple fact I keep them dim as possible at night. Bright LED’s would be counter productive, LOL.

I think I'll eventually do the HVAC lights but it will probably be a while. I can change my head unit colors already and often use red a night and white during the day. White is too bright at night.

The footwell LED's are super bright and those will be nice even though I always have the doors off fuse in. They still come on when you turn off the key or turn them on manually. My driver side lamp is missing the cover but so far you can't really tell a difference between the two sides.

I replaced all the interior lights in my LJ to green (except for the aftermarket trans temp gauge which isn’t replaceable), including the dome and footwell lights. I like it a lot. It does hep with night time vision. I squally keep them on the lowest brightness. I like the green glow of the interior when I open the doors at light. LOL

One thing that bothered me is the gauge needles don’t show up very well. I thought about painting them with fluorescent orange paint to see if they would show up a little better. Kinda afraid to though, don’t want to make it worse. I’ve gotten used to it now though and it doesn’t bother me.

4DCE2B27-F837-473F-9B4C-EDB3EC6C0646.jpeg

B2376AE2-3118-41F6-8795-7A02170528C9.jpeg

I replaced all the interior lights in my LJ to green (except for the aftermarket trans temp gauge which isn’t replaceable), including the dome and footwell lights. I like it a lot. It does hep with night time vision. I squally keep them on the lowest brightness. I like the green glow of the interior when I open the doors at light. LOL

One thing that bothered me is the gauge needles don’t show up very well. I thought about painting them with fluorescent orange paint to see if they would show up a little better. Kinda afraid to though, don’t want to make it worse. I’ve gotten used to it now though and it doesn’t bother me.

View attachment 114706

View attachment 114707

That sucks about the needles. I'll have to look into what's involved in painting them. I'm about to do all my lights in LED. They've been sitting in my shop forever.