Replacing the lower blend door lever on a 2005 TJ

Taylor TJx

hello, i looking for some help. im looking for ways to replace the lower blend door lever for the defroster on a 2005 jeep tj. the part im looking for is close to OEM Part 5014108AA but for a 2005. the years they made the part was from 2002-2006 its stopping my defroster to work ( blow ) when i turn on the vents it comes threw all the vents rather than the vent that is selected. in the parts manual i found 5013743aa but that is a discontinued part. any ideas or suggestions on how to overcome/ fix this?

Damn, I just looked all over Google, and I can't find a single replacement blend door lever for 2002-2006 TJs. I can find plenty of OMIX-ADA replacements for 97-01 models, but that's it.

Hopefully someone with more info will chime in, but I suppose you could always check https://car-part.com

It searches every wrecking yard within X miles of your zip code. Find a local place with a TJ they are parting out and the blend door lever off of it. Guarantee you'll get one this way.

Reactions: Taylor TJx
Damn, I just looked all over Google, and I can't find a single replacement blend door lever for 2002-2006 TJs. I can find plenty of OMIX-ADA replacements for 97-01 models, but that's it.

Hopefully someone with more info will chime in, but I suppose you could always check https://car-part.com

It searches every wrecking yard within X miles of your zip code. Find a local place with a TJ they are parting out and the blend door lever off of it. Guarantee you'll get one this way.

Thanks, i keep running into that issue nothing for 2005, thanks ill look on car-part

Thanks, i keep running into that issue nothing for 2005, thanks ill look on car-part

Yeah, this is news to me as I personally had looked for one until now. Makes me wonder why OMIX-ADA makes replacements for the earlier TJs, but not the later models. I'm actually curious as to what the difference are between them as well.

You'll also be able to get a used one from http://www.daveysjeeps.com as well.

I spent 2 months looking for 1 before finnally finding someone parting out a jeep that would sell just the lever.
Everyone wants to sell the hvac unit all together

It blows my mind no one makes a replacement part, especially given as simple as it is. You could probably 3D print this part to be honest.

Any luck?
Almost ordered one for previous models, then realized that they are different... mind blowing.
If nothing, Im going to get JB weld for plastic and hope that will do the trick.

Reactions: Chris
I have to admit that I'm spoiled by Mercedes. Parts availablity for older cars is excellent. And by "older", I don't mean 15 years - that's practically brand new! They have a special department dedicated to parts for older cars - I just ordered a transmission kick-down cable a few months back for mine - its 35 years old and the price was very reasonable! I'm a bit taken aback as a new Jeep owner that certain parts are virtually impossible to source.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I never knew the feeling of being spoiled till i got into Jeeps.
I will either grow old, happy, and tell plenty of "back in my days" stories ... or snap, build a time machine, and go back in time to the moment i thought of trying this "Jeep" thing to evaporate myself with a plasma cannon.

Reactions: Zorba
Don't get me wrong - I've wanted a Jeep for decades, and finally got one and am loving it! I'm just a bit taken aback at parts procurement problems on a vehicle I consider "almost new".

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone been able to find one of these yet? I'm on the hunt for one, and I can't even find a picture of it. Mine is still installed, so I don't even know what it looks like to know that I found the right one. I can only see the part that doesn't insert into the HVAC system. Thanks!

I have to admit that I'm spoiled by Mercedes. Parts availablity for older cars is excellent. And by "older", I don't mean 15 years - that's practically brand new! They have a special department dedicated to parts for older cars - I just ordered a transmission kick-down cable a few months back for mine - its 35 years old and the price was very reasonable! I'm a bit taken aback as a new Jeep owner that certain parts are virtually impossible to source.

I gripe on here about this very thing from time to time, and it never fails that someone will come along to defend whoever owns jeep on that particular day on how most or all manufacturers stop supporting replacement parts after 10 years or so. That's just not been my experience. I'm up to something in the mid 30s of cars I've owned and only one was less than 10 years old...Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM, BMW, multiples of each...none of them had the parts availability issues I run into with a 2006 jeep on a regular basis. I don't think it's coincidence that none of them (other than the 3 TJs) were from Chrysler.

Reactions: Zorba
i really wonder if this parts availability issue is just a chrysler/jeep thing. never ran into this with other makes/models. still sitting here waiting for a oem radiator i ordered to appear.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Any luck?
Almost ordered one for previous models, then realized that they are different... mind blowing.
If nothing, Im going to get JB weld for plastic and hope that will do the trick.

Did JB weld work for repairing the blend door lever? I’m in the middle of attempting the same repair

Did JB weld work for repairing the blend door lever? I’m in the middle of attempting the same repair

Yes it worked for roughly two years before failing again. I did not take it apart to see where it failed, instead used a screw to fix door in roughly 70/30 split position.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Yes it worked for roughly two years before failing again. I did not take it apart to see where it failed, instead used a screw to fix door in roughly 70/30 split position.

Thank you. Does this control air to the defroster? I’ve been building up the JB Weld. Three coats now. This is with two.
IMG_2628.jpeg

Thank you. Does this control air to the defroster? I’ve been building up the JB Weld. Three coats now. This is with two.
View attachment 499409

Which JB formula are you using?
I used their their plastic specific, later realized that original formula is a general purpose and is stronger. So that may have been one of the reasons why mine did not hold longer. As far as amount/coats, understand that there is a specific area where most of the tension happens and only so much JB can be packed in there to create strongest bond. It is no different to people assuming that more grease creates more lubrication, or more conductive compound creates more heat transfer, so they start smudging excessive amounts without realizing that only 1% will actually stay on the surface and do its job while rest will be squeezed out and wasted.

The reason why i did not redo the job after it has failed is because when that specific blend door moves, there is binding happening which creates significant tension in my opinion. If you take the unit out and play with it, you will feel it. Actuators are plenty strong to overcome that binding tensions, but the clips are not. That is why i did not expect JB Weld to last long.

If JB approach fails, the screw method is easy to implement. After taking the center dash out, blend door will be visible and accessible. Play with it until you find desired split of air flow between center and top vents. tap screw into the blend door and run it against the adjacent wall, this will fixate it in place and you will always have desired air distribution.
PXL_20211014_195310873.jpg

Which JB formula are you using?
I used their their plastic specific, later realized that original formula is a general purpose and is stronger. So that may have been one of the reasons why mine did not hold longer. As far as amount/coats, understand that there is a specific area where most of the tension happens and only so much JB can be packed in there to create strongest bond. It is no different to people assuming that more grease creates more lubrication, or more conductive compound creates more heat transfer, so they start smudging excessive amounts without realizing that only 1% will actually stay on the surface and do its job while rest will be squeezed out and wasted.

The reason why i did not redo the job after it has failed is because when that specific blend door moves, there is binding happening which creates significant tension in my opinion. If you take the unit out and play with it, you will feel it. Actuators are plenty strong to overcome that binding tensions, but the clips are not. That is why i did not expect JB Weld to last long.

If JB approach fails, the screw method is easy to implement. After taking the center dash out, blend door will be visible and accessible. Play with it until you find desired split of air flow between center and top vents. tap screw into the blend door and run it against the adjacent wall, this will fixate it in place and you will always have desired air distribution.
View attachment 499792

Hmm…I used JB Weld KwikWeld Steel Reinforced Epoxy.
image.jpg

I got inside the HEVAC box too, so now I see how the doors work. Thanks for your insights.