Replacing Transfer Case Skid Plate: Suggestions?

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
I have been reading about this as my crossmember isn't all that great. Some idiot cut into it to fix the exhaust, instead of doing the job right. The crossmember hangs down pretty low and running a small lift and 33's the underside of my Jeep is within view. The tummy tuck threads scare the crap out of me. I don't want to modify the exhaust or mess about with a bunch of things to install a new crossmember. My hopes are as follows.

1. Replace the unit with aluminum, but not too expensive.
2. If the unit could hang down just slightly less, without modifications that would be great, but if it hangs down stock amount, that is okay as well.
3. Replace with steel already powder coated, if aluminum is just too costly.

** No interest Crown products or the like.

Thanks for any leads. It seems like you have to do a tummy tuck if you want an upgrade, but maybe there is something I am missing.

Why not just remove it entirely? With a 4" lift, you have to remove it as it gets in the way. Mine has been removed from all the TJs I've ever owned.

Wait... are you guys talking about the transmission / transfer case skid plate, or the crossmember that is in front of the transmission?

Now I'm curious, it looks like mine holds up the transmission. There is a mount bolted to it. What fulfills that function if the big plate is gone?

If you're talking about the transfer case skid plate, you need that, it supports the transmission and the transfer case, and the transmission mount is directly connected to it. I think the OP is talking about the much smaller crossmember that is in front of the transfer case skid plate.

I have been reading about this as my crossmember isn't all that great. Some idiot cut into it to fix the exhaust, instead of doing the job right. The crossmember hangs down pretty low and running a small lift and 33's the underside of my Jeep is within view. The tummy tuck threads scare the crap out of me. I don't want to modify the exhaust or mess about with a bunch of things to install a new crossmember. My hopes are as follows.

2. If the unit could hang down just slightly less, without modifications that would be great, but if it hangs down stock amount, that is okay as well.

Thanks for any leads. It seems like you have to do a tummy tuck if you want an upgrade, but maybe there is something I am missing.

So here's the deal, the only skids you will find are going to be shorter than the stock model. Meaning, you will have to do some type of modification, think mini tuck, in order to run them. Aluminum is awesome, but not cheap. Certainly more expensive than steel generally. Tucking the skid up even an inch will require some work. The stock skid does hang down a ways but is pretty stout.

Reactions: gg1

If you are talking about the trans. mount/skid plate: replace it with the stock unit---they are strong & work great, it's one part that Jeep did right.

If you are talking about the trans. mount/skid plate: replace it with the stock unit---they are strong & work great, it's one part that Jeep did right.

Okay, I guess that is the plan then. Just replace the transmission skid. I got the title of this thread just searching around. Guess it wasn't all that clear. The skid is the one that holds the trans.

Transmission/transfercase skid plate.

Ahhh, my mistake then. I thought you were talking about the crossmember in front of it.

I edited the thread title so it would be more fitting.

So here's the deal, the only skids you will find are going to be shorter than the stock model. Meaning, you will have to do some type of modification, think mini tuck, in order to run them. Aluminum is awesome, but not cheap. Certainly more expensive than steel generally. Tucking the skid up even an inch will require some work. The stock skid does hang down a ways but is pretty stout.

Seems it isn't worth a change out then. Guess I will look for a used Mopar one, or just take a wire wheel to mine and paint it. Thanks.

Seems it isn't worth a change out then. Guess I will look for a used Mopar one, or just take a wire wheel to mine and paint it. Thanks.

What year is your Jeep?

I think that is the plan. It is just a big rough looking, but not beat up.
Should not be an issue. I noticed mine had over an inch of bow from the po smashing it into shit. Used a chain and my bottle jack to flatten it out. Worked great but the real benefit was lowering the tcase enough to nearly eliminate the vibs i was dealing with.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I went with one of these. Solid and I don't think it can be damaged.

He has several different heights to choose from

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQIC9IN/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Since there's no information in your profile, I've got a few questions in reference to that skid on your TJ - auto or manual transmission? How was the fit, and how did you mount the transmission mount to the skid? Last, which height did you go with, and was a body lift done to accommodate the Barnes skid?

Last edited:
Reactions: gg1