Replacing Transfer Case Skid Plate: Suggestions?

Wait... are you guys talking about the transmission / transfer case skid plate, or the crossmember that is in front of the transmission?

@Chris, do you have a photo of this front crossmember? I've only owned a manual TJ and LJ and there is just the skid plate, no crossmember that I can recall. Is this an automatic only piece?

@Chris, do you have a photo of this front crossmember? I've only owned a manual TJ and LJ and there is just the skid plate, no crossmember that I can recall. Is this an automatic only piece?

I don’t have a photo of it, but it’s on both auto and manual models. Everyone just removes it anyways, as it won’t work once you start lifting your Jeep. Neither of my TJs have it anymore. If yours doesn’t have it, don’t worry about it.

I myself am wondering what this 'crossmember' is. I have lifted several TJs, and never have removed any crossmember in the process.

Edit: I see now we're talking about that bolt-on channel that supports the front of the auto tranny skid plate...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
I went with one of these. Solid and I don't think it can be damaged.

He has several different heights to choose from

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQIC9IN/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This looks interesting. Guess I would have to paint it with some dp40 or maybe get it powder coated, but I think DP40 might last longer. Thanks or the suggestion. Seems the only review isn't a very positive one due to mounting the transmission. I have an '04 Rubicon manual, so I would need to make sure it would work with that setup.

I don’t have a photo of it, but it’s on both auto and manual models. Everyone just removes it anyways, as it won’t work once you start lifting your Jeep. Neither of my TJs have it anymore. If yours doesn’t have it, don’t worry about it.

It's not on manuals... Only autos.

Reactions: Chris
We're you plannng an Nth degree skid also?
No. I actually bought it to cure some vibrations after lifting since I already had a mml. In the end I wasn't able to use it on the stock skid but I straightened my bowed stock skid which took care of 95% of the vibrations. I was measuring when I was working on it and with the Nth mount and the 3" dropped skid, it looks like it would work for some added clearance.

Reactions: Farmergreg
What all is required for one of these? Or is it bolt on? Which drop did you go with? I like the idea but would like some more information if that's cool

I got the 3 inch drop.. you have to drill the holes for the tranny mount which wasn't hard. I also did a 1 inch motor mount lift and a 1 inch body . But as cheap as these are you can get the mounts and body lift and still cheaper than most others

This looks interesting. Guess I would have to paint it with some dp40 or maybe get it powder coated, but I think DP40 might last longer. Thanks or the suggestion. Seems the only review isn't a very positive one due to mounting the transmission. I have an '04 Rubicon manual, so I would need to make sure it would work with that setup.

It will work. Put mine on my 05 LJ Rubicon. You do have drill the holes for the tranny mount but want hard. Used a red crayon and waxed the bottom of the bolts. Slowly mounted it and run the bolts up till it made contact with the tranny bolts and made sure it made good contact. Unbolted and the marks were they needed to be. Have had it on about 2 years and no problems. Painted it with POR 15 before I mounted it and then hit it with some black semi gloss and no rust yet. Gained some clearance.

Reactions: ThatsilverTJ
It will work. Put mine on my 05 LJ Rubicon. You do have drill the holes for the tranny mount but want hard. Used a red crayon and waxed the bottom of the bolts. Slowly mounted it and run the bolts up till it made contact with the tranny bolts and made sure it made good contact. Unbolted and the marks were they needed to be. Have had it on about 2 years and no problems. Painted it with POR 15 before I mounted it and then hit it with some black semi gloss and no rust yet. Gained some clearance.
Got some pictures?

Since there's no information in your profile, I've got a few questions in reference to that skid on your TJ - auto or manual transmission? How was the fit, and how did you mount the transmission mount to the skid? Last, which height did you go with, and was a body lift done to accommodate the Barnes skid?

05 LJ Rubicon. Manual Transmission. 3 inch (Link Below)and drilled the holes and bought a new factory tranny mount. . Replaced the tranny mount because the old one was damaged

JKS 1.25 body lift

Brown Dog 1 MML

Fit was perfect

This is the one I purchased

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQIC9IN/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If I had to do it over again I would go with the same one.

Reactions: Chris
JKS 1.25 body lift
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQIC9IN/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If I had to do it over again I would go with the same one.

You have a BL, so that can make all the difference in this install. I have no BL. Most tummy tucks require a BL. Still not sure if it would work without a BL so easily. I don't want anymore lift as I feel I am maxed out on what I want, so I don't want to get stuck having to install a BL if this thing didn't fit without one. Thanks for the response though. I like the smooth simple design.

You have a BL, so that can make all the difference in this install. I have no BL. Most tummy tucks require a BL. Still not sure if it would work without a BL so easily. I don't want anymore lift as I feel I am maxed out on what I want, so I don't want to get stuck having to install a BL if this thing didn't fit without one. Thanks for the response though. I like the smooth simple design.
You could do the Nth Degree, https://www.nthdegreemobility.com/wrangler_tummy_tucker_03_06_tjlj_automatic

Here is a recent install,
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/nth-degree-tummy-tuck-install.11049/

Well, I have a Rubicon, so my tranny is larger. I don't think I could do that without a BL either. Thanks for the idea though. I wouldn't mind gaining some clearance as the stock unit really does hang down there, but I don't want a BL and don't want to do too much in the way of modifications. Probably just clean up the old one, but one never knows what might happen. Something to think about.

Well, I have a Rubicon, so my tranny is larger. I don't think I could do that without a BL either. Thanks for the idea though. I wouldn't mind gaining some clearance as the stock unit really does hang down there, but I don't want a BL and don't want to do too much in the way of modifications. Probably just clean up the old one, but one never knows what might happen. Something to think about.
Says it works on the Rubi without a bl. If you look at the skid you can see it is clearanced for the larger tcase.