Replacing transmission mount

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I plan to drop my skid plate to do some rust prevention work and change my transfer case fluid on my '97 SE. I have the AX-5 manual transmission. A few weeks ago I tried to start the project but busted a stud from the tranny mount. I decided to spray everything down with Kroil and return to it later. This morning I tried to remove the three remaining nuts for the transmission mount but they weren't budging. I took the skid plate bolts off one at a time and cleaned them and applied anti seize so that is all set. I picked up a new tranny mount after breaking the first stud and want to replace the original. I just want to ask if you've done this before and what I can expect? Thanks for your help.

Was planning on doing that but wanted to see what I'd run into once I got the skid plate off. Finally decided that the sooner I got going the sooner I'd see so I busted the studs off and removed the skid plate. Everything has gone smoothly. Cleaned up a section of the frame and skid plate and painting them today. Thanks for getting back to me.