Replacing tube side steps with sliders

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve been putting off rock sliders for awhile because I felt my side steps would hold up for 1 impact at least . But lately I’m thinking I want some proper sliders . I don’t love the idea of body mounted where I’m drilling into the tub. I would prefer a frame mounted or body mounted that doesn’t require drilling of the tub. Any recommendations?Here’s my current set up.

21639909-8F8E-4AA0-A11A-FAA14FA88F6C.png

But lately I’m thinking I want some proper sliders .

View attachment 390746

Then you'll need tub mounted sliders and ones that specifically avoid using body mounts and/or frame and cover wheel well to wheel well. Sliders using body mounts and frame can ultimately damage your frame. Savvy is highly rated, genright (with a few complaints), and maybe shockworx (IIRC). @JMT created a thread discussing the best options

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rock-sliders-rocker-guards-guide.8704/

Reactions: connor grimes
I took off my tube steps and drilled my tub and installed RockHard sliders.

I need to weld a gusset on my frame...the PO drilled like six holes in the frame for the tube steps.

-Mac

While it may sound stronger for a slider to be frame mounted, tub mounted sliders are actually a LOT stronger and far more protective. Don't be afraid to drill the holes in the tub to mount the body-mounted sliders, you'll never want to take them off once they're mounted. And as above, avoid those that mount to the body mounts under the tub too.