Replacing winch line with synthetic

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
I have a Warn VR8000, and at some point soon would like to replace the line so I've decided to start researching sources and prices. I don't know a lot about synthetic line, so any guidance is appreciated. This is what I think that I need:

3/8" line
standard stainless thimble
80-100 feet (current line is 94')
I would prefer it to not be a neon color

3/8" is a good choice, the Safety Thimble (developed by mrblaine) would be a good choice as well. This is where I obtained my last 3/8" synthetic rope from, it's a good source owned by a Jeeper. Check their ropes out at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/product-category/tre-tactical-recovery-equipment/

I've had blue and orange, I prefer orange since it's so much easier to see in all lighting conditions. That hawse from 4LowParts.com is designed to hold the Safety Thimble up & out of the way so it doesn't get in the way of a steep approach angle.

IMAG1880.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you inspect your Roller Fairlead for any nicks, gouges or burrs as they can damage the synthetic line or consider swapping it out for a Hawse fairlead.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Make sure you inspect your Roller Fairlead for any nicks, gouges or burrs as they can damage the synthetic line or consider swapping it out for a Hawse fairlead.
A grinder or file makes it easy to smooth up an existing gouged up roller fairlead to make it safe for synthetic line.

3/8" is a good choice, the Safety Thimble (developed by mrblaine) would be a good choice as well. This is where I obtained my last 3/8" synthetic rope from, it's a good source owned by a Jeeper. Check their ropes out at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/product-category/tre-tactical-recovery-equipment/

I've had blue and orange, I prefer orange since it's so much easier to see in all lighting conditions. That hawse from 4LowParts.com is designed to hold the Safety Thimble up & out of the way so it doesn't get in the way of a steep approach angle.

View attachment 3366

I did see them at 4low parts, but I already have a different style of connector so do not need the safety thimble. I didn't see any line on his site without them.

Is your connector better/safer than the Safety Thimble? The Safety Thimble is hard to beat, not to mention its developer is mrblaine aka Black Magic Brakes who is a regular contributing member here.

I will second the 4lowparts winch line. Bought some orange line a few months ago and am very happy. Some of the best prices you'll find and great customer service. Also, I think you should seriously consider the safety thimble. It's a genius design if you understand some of the basic rules of rigging (and no, I'm not saying that to brown nose Mr. Blaine) and it is different than the factor 55 "thimble", which is just a glorified, expensive hook in my opinion.

Reactions: Chris
I will second the 4lowparts winch line. Bought some orange line a few months ago and am very happy. Some of the best prices you'll find and great customer service. Also, I think you should seriously consider the safety thimble. It's a genius design if you understand some of the basic rules of rigging (and no, I'm not saying that to brown nose Mr. Blaine) and it is different than the factor 55 "thimble", which is just a glorified, expensive hook in my opinion.
If folks understood rigging, they'd run them out of town on a rail.

Reactions: PStov98TJ