Reproducing the OR-Fab Tire Carrier (anyone got a OR-Fab carrier?)

Just curious @Chris - still prefer the OR-Fab to the Exogate? As nice as the OR-F is, I still would prefer the tailgate and the tire carrier to open together, not to mention no drilling, plus strengthened tailgate & heavier duty tailgate hinges...

Just got off the phone with Scott, really cool guy. He’s gonna line a few things up on his end and in a week he will call me and I can ship mine down to him. Sounds like it’s a pretty for sure thing!

Sweet! He's a nice guy, and from speaking with him, I'm very confident that he is the guy who can actually make this happen. He didn't sound like some slouch.

100% I see it all the time...especially with engineers. Really good engineers get promoted into management roles...and a lot of the time, they are TERRIBLE managers. Business is definitely a different skill set. When you work on somethings, you get an emotional attachment. Its tough to separate the emotions from the finance sometimes.

I was actually hinting around that a guy who understands business with a interest in Off-road might be able to hire a fabricator and start producing things.

Makes perfect sense. I think in OR-Fab's case, they may have been a bunch of engineers trying to run both the business and the fabrication side of things, when in reality, they should have had a dedicated business guy running the business, while they focused on what they were good at. We'll never know for sure though!

Just curious @Chris - still prefer the OR-Fab to the Exogate? As nice as the OR-F is, I still would prefer the tailgate and the tire carrier to open together, not to mention no drilling, plus strengthened tailgate & heavier duty tailgate hinges...

I've never actually used either of them in all honesty, so I can't offer any real world input. But for my current build, I think the Exogate might be the better choice, as I'm only running 31" tires. The OR-Fab tire carrier to me, seems like it's probably the better option for running 35" tires or larger. Maybe I'm wrong?

I’ve actually been looking at pictures online, trying to compare the 2.
I currently am running the Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier swing. It’s a nice quality item, and I do like it. But it gets old having to open the swing and tail gate seperately. The other thing is that I really don’t get into the trunk that much anyway.

I've never actually used either of them in all honesty, so I can't offer any real world input. But for my current build, I think the Exogate might be the better choice, as I'm only running 31" tires. The OR-Fab tire carrier to me, seems like it's probably the better option for running 35" tires or larger. Maybe I'm wrong?

IMO, you hit the nail on the head. This year I have three upgrades 'planned' (ha!) just for the sake of 'better is better' - Exogate, Savvy cable shifter, and Currie Antirock.

Reactions: Chris
I currently am running the Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier swing. It’s a nice quality item, and I do like it. But it gets old having to open the swing and tail gate seperately. The other thing is that I really don’t get into the trunk that much anyway.
If you're already running a rear bumper with tire swing, and want to go with the Exogate, you either have to figure in the cost of a replacement rear bumper or be able to modify the one you have to eliminate the tire swing, which seems doable.

This guy?
RH-2001-C-2T.jpg

If you're already running a rear bumper with tire swing, and want to go with the Exogate, you either have to figure in the cost of a replacement rear bumper or be able to modify the one you have to eliminate the tire swing, which seems doable.

Yep. And I haven’t found a rear bumper that I like enough to spend the money yet.

So how do we go about getting it done?

He’s finalizing contracts for part numbers and then will be shooting me a call. I’m giving it to him so hopefully he will get started as soon as he receives it. I’m getting a pretty good deal out of it and I’m really excited to help out his business. Win win.

100% I see it all the time...especially with engineers. Really good engineers get promoted into management roles...and a lot of the time, they are TERRIBLE managers.
That's true and it happens more often than not, it's called the Peter Principle which came out in a book years ago. People get promoted until they reach their level of incompetence and then they stay there... incompetent at what they're doing.

That's true and it happens more often than not, it's called the Peter Principle which came out in a book years ago. People get promoted until they reach their level of incompetence and then they stay there... incompetent at what they're doing.

My father used to call engineers "intelligent idiots" he had some working for him that were so smart, yet they could barely tie their shoes. One of them broke out a slide rule (old days) and did all sorts of calculations when he was trying to cut a length of molding. My father grabbed a tape measure and had it installed even before the guy got 2 lines down in his calculation. Luckily my father ran the business and let them do their thing.

Reactions: Fonz54
If there is indeed an interest in a group buy for these re-produced OR-Fab bumpers, we can make it happen if we get enough commitments, I have no doubt about it.

Reactions: Zach Jones
I absolutely love my OR-Fab carrier. I got one of the last made (I'm assuming) because I remember seeing that OR-Fab was shutting down two weeks after mine got installed. With the amount of holes in the body that you need to drill to install the carrier, I'm surprised that people would sell them. The carrier is a fairly difficult install so I don't think I'll ever take it off.

The one thing I really want to get my hands on is the license plate relocation bracket that OR-Fab made. I've been trying to get one of those for two years. I could probably make one myself, but I like the way that the OR-Fab one looked.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara