Reproducing the OR-Fab Tire Carrier (anyone got a OR-Fab carrier?)

Just got mine on today :)

C683A03E-8553-4439-961C-A96C329B04DA.jpeg
EA7D30ED-E27E-430A-BA61-09711D5FF60A.jpeg
F706D81E-5785-48F1-86F5-0A6C5F4E7C5F.jpeg

0E1D175C-61A3-42BA-B134-8934D8DE097A.jpeg

Just got mine on today :)

Do you have no tailgate? And that handle is driving me insane being at that angle. Turn it!

How long have you had the carrier? I didn't know you could still buy them. I didn't install mine, did you find the install hard? My mechanic said it was very difficult.

Do you have no tailgate? And that handle is driving me insane being at that angle. Turn it!

How long have you had the carrier? I didn't know you could still buy them. I didn't install mine, did you find the install hard? My mechanic said it was very difficult.
I searched for nearly 2 years and found a shop in ohio with some orfab overstock stuff. Paid $560 for it shipped in raw metal. Nothing was missing.

Install was good, things went together smoothly, except installing the tire carrier with the brass washers on the pivot point. Damn it was hard. The drill holes and mounting brackets was very easy. If I had not fought the 6 brass washers for 30 minutes, it would have been a 2 banana job. Really worth the effort though, it was worth the wait.

Edit: Yeah sadly I’m running no tailgate right now. My Savvy tailgate spacers are still in California. Friday things should be different!

I searched for nearly 2 years and found a shop in ohio with some orfab overstock stuff. Paid $560 for it shipped in raw metal. Nothing was missing.

Install was good, things went together smoothly, except installing the tire carrier with the brass washers on the pivot point. Damn it was hard. The drill holes and mounting brackets was very easy. If I had not fought the 6 brass washers for 30 minutes, it would have been a 2 banana job. Really worth the effort though, it was worth the wait.

The person I had install the carrier (who said it was very hard) also did a terrible job installing it. I had to fight to get the washers in as well as the original installer didn't bother. It took a long time to get everything straightened out.

The person I had install the carrier (who said it was very hard) also did a terrible job installing it. I had to fight to get the washers in as well as the original installer didn't bother. It took a long time to get everything straightened out.
Everything lined up well except for the striker. If I had to change the instructions, the striker should mount once the tire carrier is installed, so you aren’t drilling more holes than you need too. It is truly hard to really mess things up though, the brackets lined up really nicely.

Everything lined up well except for the striker. If I had to change the instructions, the striker should mount once the tire carrier is installed, so you aren’t drilling more holes than you need too. It is truly hard to really mess things up though, the brackets lined up really nicely.

Ever since I had my carrier installed, the striker for my tailgate hasn't worked especially well. I have to really slam my tailgate to get it to close. Is that adjustable within the carrier? I haven't looked hard enough to see if I can change it.

Ever since I had my carrier installed, the striker for my tailgate hasn't worked especially well. I have to really slam my tailgate to get it to close. Is that adjustable within the carrier? I haven't looked hard enough to see if I can change it.
It takes exactly one finger to open and close it once it’s installed with the spare tire on. You can adjust the striker, but if its significantly off, you may need to enlarge the holes to adjust the striker enough. Try just loosening the bolts that hole the striker and then closing it holding the bracket in the orientation to center. This will let you know what you are work with. I’ll let you know my original holes were no where close lol, had to re-drill.

It takes exactly one finger to open and close it once it’s installed with the spare tire on. You can adjust the striker, but if its significantly off, you may need to enlarge the holes to adjust the striker enough. Try just loosening the bolts that hole the striker and then closing it holding the bracket in the orientation to center. This will let you know what you are work with. I’ll let you know my original holes were no where close lol, had to re-drill.

I meant the actual original tailgate that came on the jeep. The piece that holds the tire is very easy to open and close. I'm talking about the striker that came on the jeep from the factory that holds the tailgate closed. For some reason that doesn't line up very well anymore. I'm thinking maybe my tailgate got tweaked from having a 33" hanging off the back and now the striker and the tailgate don't line up perfectly.

I meant the actual original tailgate that came on the jeep. The piece that holds the tire is very easy to open and close. I'm talking about the striker that came on the jeep from the factory that holds the tailgate closed. For some reason that doesn't line up very well anymore. I'm thinking maybe my tailgate got tweaked from having a 33" hanging off the back and now the striker and the tailgate don't line up perfectly.
Ah yes that’s easy. You need to shim your striker, on the tub itself for the tailgate. As long as the tailgate hinges aren’t tweaked!

Hmm...I like that version of the carrier. I'm not a fan of the jerry can version. James, I might have you snap a couple pictures of the pivots and the closure. Am I correct in assuming that the carrier swings and latches separately from the tailgate?

Reactions: Chris
Hmm...I like that version of the carrier. I'm not a fan of the jerry can version. James, I might have you snap a couple pictures of the pivots and the closure. Am I correct in assuming that the carrier swings and latches separately from the tailgate?

Yes, it swings separately from the tailgate. The latch is a really simple but effective design that can adjust. The pivots are pretty simple, just a few washers and a bolt. The other feature thats great about the carrier is the CB antenna mount. I moved mine to the carrier and I've had 0 issues with it.

Yes, more than happy to send you any pictures you need just let me know what you are after.

Reactions: Mike_H
Yes, it swings separately from the tailgate. The latch is a really simple but effective design that can adjust. The pivots are pretty simple, just a few washers and a bolt. The other feature thats great about the carrier is the CB antenna mount. I moved mine to the carrier and I've had 0 issues with it.
There are two cb antenna mounts, which one do you use?:)

I agree that the Jerry can version of the carrier is ugly IMHO. I much prefer the non Jerry can version.

So is this carrier necessary for someone running anything less than 33” tires? Seems pretty heavy duty if your not running 35s or at the least 33s. How much does it weigh?

Chris, good luck with the group buy if you move forward with it. There is a reason they are banned from most forums and it isn't because they work so well. The only way to do one is to get full payment up front and then hope and pray the shop comes through with the product. If you do one and pull it off without someone getting their feelings hurt, you will have the unicorn of group buys.