Reproducing the OR-Fab Tire Carrier (anyone got a OR-Fab carrier?)

That is not the handle the tire carrier came with unless they changed designs at some point. Mine looks nothing like that. You might have to fiddle around with it. I can't remember how the threaded piece attaches, but replacing that piece with a longer one is probably the easiest option.

Yeah I contacted DV8 prior to posting here and they asked me to email pictures. Haven't heard back after they asked me if I confirmed that I could not get it to close all the way.

I pulled the threaded latch and will make a trip to HD or Lowe's today.

Yeah I contacted DV8 prior to posting here and they asked me to email pictures.

I'm a little confused. Your product looks brand spankin' new. I visited DV8's website, though, and they don't list any tire carriers for TJs. Are you sure it's a DV8 product?

(Not trying to be difficult; I'm genuinely asking.) :)

Yeah I contacted DV8 prior to posting here and they asked me to email pictures. Haven't heard back after they asked me if I confirmed that I could not get it to close all the way.

I pulled the threaded latch and will make a trip to HD or Lowe's today.

Wait what? Isn't that an OR-Fab Carrier in the photo? Is it a DV8 carrier?

Yep. Googled OR FAB Customer service, called the number and the guy on the phone had me email pics to him at an @dv8offroad.com email address.

This thread discusses the purchase of rights.

This thread discusses the purchase of rights.

From what I've seen, they're not doing such a great job of keeping the OR-Fab name going. If I'm not mistaken, someone else was having an issue with the "new" version of the carrier, too.

Told the guy via email that I just need an uncut versiin of the threaded rod and I'll be g2g.

This disastrophe waiting to happen is the proof of concept that i just need a little more rod to get the job done (that's what she said):

Going over to a buddy's this weekend to weld some black surplus nato can carriers to the gate.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
So the guy has responded stating they do not have a longer threaded portion and that what I have on there looks good, offering some touch up paint to make it match the powder coat.

Appears they don't have that threaded loop because they are using this type of latch:

This should be fun.

Reactions: Ephry73
I've just about finished the install on mine. Maybe I'm missing something, but with the gate on, I cannot get the latch to close.

If I adjust the threaded latch out any farther, I'll be on 3 or 4 threads. Looks like the threaded portion got lopped a little short?View attachment 83107
A piece of threaded rod and a coupling nut would extend the loop stud. Or a longer eye bolt.

Attachments

• 85211-installation-instructions.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,572
New thru Extreme Terrain. I just finished reading the instructions... This going to require a lot of beer to complete.

Not packaging instructions is insane, especially with a carrier as involved as this. The company that bought the rights to this tire carrier isn't doing much to maintain the reputation OR-Fab established.

I am done with the initial install. Got it road worthy and called it a weekend. This video is my initial thoughts. Note (for those of you that actually watch it): what I say at about 6:00 minutes in is wrong. I'll be finishing that part correctly next weekend.

Reactions: JMT
Hello, New to the site. Was able to pick up a or-fab carrier only, no mounting brackets. I've mocked up a template but can someone that has the carrier tell me how thick the mounting brackets are?

That's definitely an original OR-Fab. The can he's got mounted in the pictures looks like a NATO-style jerry can. Also, he has the metal strip keeping the jerry can on the threaded rod mounted backwards. It's supposed to be bent over the can, not away from it (just take off the wingnut and flip the strip around).

He copied-and-pasted the description from the JK Rotopax version: check out the description on the Quadratec site. It's word-for-word. As I mentioned before, there was no Rotopax version made for the TJ. I don't think he meant to be intentionally misleading; the TJ version of the description is kind of difficult to find since OR-Fab pretty much just came back into the game.

Just so you're aware, the TJ version of this carrier is still a great product. You can mount two full-size jerry cans onto it. I have two Rampage jerry cans: the tool box and the trail storage can.

There's a mount on the swing-out that will allow you to catch the lip of some jerry cans (like my Rampage cans) in order to properly secure it from bouncing around. However, if you're using lipless cans similar to the ones he's got pictured, you should get a jerry can mount of some kind. The threaded rod will keep lipless cans attached to the carrier, but it won't keep them from bouncing around.

The threaded rods included will scuff up your cans, by the way. I took care of that problem by buying a pack of QuickFists and bolting them in place of the threaded rods. They work great, and you can use the other QuickFists to attach other items to the carrier, too.

hate to be this guy that Bumps an old thread but sweet Jesus trying to figure out how to message another member on mobile has not been my friend. Is there anyway you can show me how you did the quick fist? I’m trying to figure out how to mount two Jerry’s and a jack to this or-fab system and I do not have the original holders it came with. I contacted or-fab and they said they don’t sell them either.

hate to be this guy that Bumps an old thread but sweet Jesus trying to figure out how to message another member on mobile has not been my friend. Is there anyway you can show me how you did the quick fist? I’m trying to figure out how to mount two Jerry’s and a jack to this or-fab system and I do not have the original holders it came with. I contacted or-fab and they said they don’t sell them either.

See this thread: Why can't I send private messages?

I've enabled them for you just now :)