Reproducing the OR-Fab Tire Carrier (anyone got a OR-Fab carrier?)

It comes complete to carry the old style 5 gallon Jerry cans. You can also carry a different non-jerry can (no bottom lip) style 5 gallon if you first mount it into a Jerry can holder which has the bottom lip required by the OR-Fab carrier. That's how I used to carry a plastic 5 gallon water tank when I used to carry extra gas and water.

Reactions: Captain Phoenix
Jerry is right (as always) :) I had problems finding the older style jerry cans with the lip so I mounted rotopx cans to the tailgate. Also took a lot of weight of of the OR- Fab. It had several cracks near the corner welds I had to repair with gussets and additional welds.

Jeep rotopax1.jpg

Jeep rotopax2.jpg

Reactions: Chris and Ephry73
Jerry is right (as always) :) I had problems finding the older style jerry cans with the lip so I mounted rotopx cans to the tailgate. Also took a lot of weight of of the OR- Fab. It had several cracks near the corner welds I had to repair with gussets and additional welds.

View attachment 159581

View attachment 159582

Definitely looking for this as a future upgrade on the Wrangler. Currently not running a spare in city driving and I like the use of the rotopax on the tailgate to take weight off the carrier. Are those the 3 gallon units tight, or is there room?

Yes, they are the 3 GA rotopax cans. They are mounted to a RP mount which is bolted through the tailgate. They work great and there are like 3 or so inches to spare. The shovel handle fits right up against the can without rubbing too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
Yes, they are the 3 GA rotopax cans. They are mounted to a RP mount which is bolted through the tailgate. They work great and there are like 3 or so inches to spare. The shovel handle fits right up against the can without rubbing too much.
Good to know

Definitely love to find an OrFab setup to be able to carry a spare without worry. Seems every distributor is out.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the orfab tire carrier vs the exogate?
Found an orfab tire carrier for $250 Locally Im sure I can still get the price lowered.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the orfab tire carrier vs the exogate?
Found an orfab tire carrier for $250 Locally Im sure I can still get the price lowered.
The weight difference is insignificant. If the OR-Fab is the type without the extra space to carry jerry cans I'd go for it in a heartbeat. If the OR-Fab is the kind that can carry jerry cans, only go for it if you need the added gasoline capacity and don't do trails where rear clearance is an issue. The jerry can version does stick out significantly further, I've had both types.

The weight difference is insignificant. If the OR-Fab is the type without the extra space to carry jerry cans I'd go for it in a heartbeat. If the OR-Fab is the kind that can carry jerry cans, only go for it if you need the added gasoline capacity and don't do trails where rear clearance is an issue. The jerry can version does stick out significantly further, I've had both types.
Not sure which version it is but here’s a picture
1632251147026.jpeg
1632251509726.jpeg

Last edited:
That's the good version, snap it up before someone else does!!!! Make sure to get its mounting brackets that bolt to the rear rollbar bases.

Reactions: 06TJ35's
someone was able to pick it up before me. Oh well I think the Exogate will be a better option for me since the orfab opening mechanism can be a bit of pita.I’ll be opening the tailgate multiple times a day to let in/out my 8month 55 pound and growing doberman. My current swing down tire carrier by GenRight gets old having to swing down then up to let my dog in. I need something different now that I actually use the tailgate

• Sad
Reactions: J R
someone was able to pick it up before me. Oh well I think the Exogate will be a better option for me since the orfab opening mechanism can be a bit of pita.I’ll be opening the tailgate multiple times a day to let in/out my 8month 55 pound and growing doberman. My current swing down tire carrier by GenRight gets old having to swing down then up to let my dog in. I need something different now that I actually use the tailgate
I was the someone else! Lol I ran up to riverside to pick it up one day after work, the owner said he had a couple people interested in it. Nice guy, nice built Jeep.
Anyway here's a couple pictures of it installed on my Jeep, for anyone that is just looking for fitment clarity. Seeing how there isn't a ton of info on the OR-Fab slim carrier floating around the internet.
The factory torques on the striker side bracket didn't quite line up so there is only one in there, but there is 7 bolts holding down that bracket as it is.
I added a 3rd brake light to the carrier, that comes through the center of the spare, so that makes wiring fly around everywhere so I'll probably redo that later.
I also got rid of the T handle and welded on a round plate with lugs bolts welded on it, so I could just bolt the tire up like factory.

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited: