Reproducing the OR-Fab Tire Carrier (anyone got a OR-Fab carrier?)

Chris, good luck with the group buy if you move forward with it. There is a reason they are banned from most forums and it isn't because they work so well. The only way to do one is to get full payment up front and then hope and pray the shop comes through with the product. If you do one and pull it off without someone getting their feelings hurt, you will have the unicorn of group buys.

Interesting, I had no idea! Then again, I’ve never taken part in a group buy. You bring very valid points though! I’ll probably pass on that idea after all.

Reactions: skrelnik
There are two cb antenna mounts, which one do you use?:)

I found the one that doesn't attach to the swinging part to be better for me. It seems like a lot of trouble to run a cable along the carrier. I rerouted my cable from running down the passenger side of the jeep to running down the driver side of the jeep. Then I used the mount that is permanently attached to the jeep and doesn't swing with the tire. Seems to me like there will be less trouble that way.

So is this carrier necessary for someone running anything less than 33” tires? Seems pretty heavy duty if your not running 35s or at the least 33s. How much does it weigh?

I run it with 33's because I wanted something really beefy in case I ever backed into something or got caught up on the tire somehow when coming off an obstacle (even though that is highly unlikely with only 33's and a small lift). There are photos from OR Fab showing that the whole weight of the rear can be on the carrier with no problems. Also, if I ever want to run bigger tires, I'll never have a problem with the carrier.

Not sure if this is the OR-Fab carrier in the photo (doesn't really look like it), but OR-Fab had a similar photo at some point with their carrier (but they had a jeep on 37's or 40's in the photo instead of a stock jeep)

361285d1206460685-best-rattle-free-tj-swingout-tire-carrier-bumper-tj-rear-air.jpg

Reactions: skrelnik
It isn't necessary for even 35's.

How do you guys go about mounting let's say a 35" spare tire? I assume you're not just hanging it on the stock tailgate hinges, right?

Forgive the ignorance, I've never tried to mount a spare tire that big, so I'm not entirely sure.

How do you guys go about mounting let's say a 35" spare tire? I assume you're not just hanging it on the stock tailgate hinges, right?

Forgive the ignorance, I've never tried to mount a spare tire that big, so I'm not entirely sure.
On Kat’s build thread he used an Exogate.

I found the one that doesn't attach to the swinging part to be better for me. It seems like a lot of trouble to run a cable along the carrier. I rerouted my cable from running down the passenger side of the jeep to running down the driver side of the jeep. Then I used the mount that is permanently attached to the jeep and doesn't swing with the tire. Seems to me like there will be less trouble that way.

I run it with 33's because I wanted something really beefy in case I ever backed into something or got caught up on the tire somehow when coming off an obstacle (even though that is highly unlikely with only 33's and a small lift). There are photos from OR Fab showing that the whole weight of the rear can be on the carrier with no problems. Also, if I ever want to run bigger tires, I'll never have a problem with the carrier.

Not sure if this is the OR-Fab carrier in the photo (doesn't really look like it), but OR-Fab had a similar photo at some point with their carrier (but they had a jeep on 37's or 40's in the photo instead of a stock jeep)

View attachment 30654
That’s what I was checking, I’m using the same one, good ground!

Reactions: Chris

You can run a 35 on the stock carrier and gate if you know what you are doing. Kat's rig had it that way from when it was new in 01 to a couple of years ago when I installed the Exo-gate which I only installed to support my friends at that company. And, just like the stock gate and hinges, if you do NOT get the tire tight against the snubbers when you slam the gate, the tire will tear up the Exo-gate just as easily. I know because I have fixed a couple who didn't get the snubbers correct.

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
I have one that gets used occasionally. Ive built a few close copies of the orfab myself. let me know if I can help chris, stop by the new Oregon city shop sometime. I always have stuff sitting in the lot we do.

I have one that gets used occasionally. Ive built a few close copies of the orfab myself. let me know if I can help chris, stop by the new Oregon city shop sometime. I always have stuff sitting in the lot we do.

I'll be sure to let you know. It would be cool to see these tire carriers come back. They were one of the better built carriers if you ask me. My current TJ came with a swing away bumper mounted tire carrier on it, and I friggin' hate that thing!

I didn't know the shop was in Oregon City. For some reason I thought it was in Estacada. Next time I'm up there I'll definitely stop by!

I'll be sure to let you know. It would be cool to see these tire carriers come back. They were one of the better built carriers if you ask me. My current TJ came with a swing away bumper mounted tire carrier on it, and I friggin' hate that thing!

I didn't know the shop was in Oregon City. For some reason I thought it was in Estacada. Next time I'm up there I'll definitely stop by!
I still have my home shop in sandy, id been running jeepwest from there for the last 6 years. Oc shop, on maple ln ct. @ the old bus garage, is new in the last 8 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I still have my home shop in sandy, id been running jeepwest from there for the last 6 years. Oc shop, on maple ln ct. @ the old bus garage, is new in the last 8 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very cool, I need to check that out then!

Do you find yourself primarily working out of the OC shop now?

yep, sucks.... Im never home anymore! lots more traffic here tho and I spend less time picking up and dropping off rigs.

That's true, it's probably a lot easier for people to bring their rigs to you in OC as oppose to Sandy. I'm really going to have to check that out next time I'm in town.

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
The good thing about this forum is the people seem to be more honest and less flaky. Although I have been wrong before.

This was a vendor that flaked out, not any forum members. A few forum members also tried to get in touch with RD Sport, but they were ducking as if they had a gambling debt payable to Steve Wynn.

Anything every come of this?

FYI: OR-Fab is back in business.

They don’t offer this specific unit yet; their website says they’re slowly rebuilding their stock of various products. Unfortunately, it looks like it’s just JK stuff for now.

Just got off the phone with Scott, really cool guy. He’s gonna line a few things up on his end and in a week he will call me and I can ship mine down to him. Sounds like it’s a pretty for sure thing!

Has anyone heard anything further? Or news on when/if or-fab will start manufacturing?