Request for exhaust leak advice

Jack72

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve had an exhaust leak for a bit now and finally got to locating the leak. Turns out it’s leaks and not leak.
The first is where I suspected, at the seal to the engine block. The second is from a weld at the connection to the catalytic converter. I don’t know how to weld and I’m wondering what y’all’s opinions are of the best way to address it.
Should I find a welder and have it patched then, of course, address the seal to the block or should I just look into having the entire exhaust system replaced?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Welding it is possible, but most exhaust tubes and cat bodies that have been used for a long time are so rusted out from the inside and outside there’s no real metal left to weld.

If you can see non rusted steel in the area needing repair, then you may want to have a welder look at it and give you a better idea if it could be done.

Is it accessible for a photo, could a welder reach it without removal?
If not, I would probably bite the bullet and replace it ☹️

Because If I went through the trouble of pulling it out, I wouldn’t put an old exhaust, that’s already developed a hole in it back in.

Just sayin 😉

Reactions: Jack72
8025FCC3-9F3C-45E9-A3FB-ADA93DD6709E.jpeg

Here’s the weld where it’s leaking from. That’s a good point about accessibility. It’s not very easy to get to

That looks more like the result of a crappy weld job at install.

Stop at a reputable muffler shop and have them look at it.
They might be able to section a short piece in and save you some money. It’s worth the the trip.

Reactions: Jack72