Request: Manual of an export TJ?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Does anyone has a manual that can share? I am looking for a manual of a TJ in a hot climate (Mexico, Australia, etc.)

I would like to see what exactly it is referred about the engine oil viscosity of the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine!

Thanks in advance!

https://www.carmanual.org/jeep-owners-manuals/2004-jeep-wrangler-owners-manual-2984/
The 2.4L oil viscosity chart is on pg. 230. Hot temperatures are less of a concern than cold temperatures. In hot climates Jeep engineers recommend 10w-30w which is what I run in Arizona where we frequently see temperatures of 110+ degrees F.
Thanks! I have this manual though!

I have seen in some posts that 15W40 is suggested for hot climates (i.e. Mexico). But I think they are referring to the 4L engine. I was curious if there is a chart for the 2.4L engine.

All the manuals show 10w-30 even the export.
There was a Mexican TJ on here that showed a dealer sticker under the hood stating to use 10w-40 or 15w-40? instead of 10w-30 but the book and oil cap still said 10w-30. This I believe is because 10w-40 and 15w-40 were more readily available in Mexico same as Australia.

Most 15w-40 is diesel engine oil and some contain not so good as well as good additives for petrol engines.

10w is rated for -12.2c start ups I doubt it gets that low in Athens even on your odd snow years. In Perth Australia the coldest it has ever got is -1c and that's 30.2F

I read an article on oil last year that said US uses 10w-30 because of some old oil regulation in US, last time 10w-30 was rated for best use for Chrysler was in the 1970,s and they stuck with it.

If its old and worn in a hot climate just use thicker oil but you are already using 10w-40 anyway.
I have no qualms about going 10w-50 in and old worn pushrod engine in West Australian summer conditions but its doing fine on the 10w-40 it was noisy when hot on 10w-30.

I do not see the problem here with running in high temps. I regularly run my Jeeps in 100+ degree temps here in the SoCal and Az deserts and my temp gauge is the same as when temps are in the 50s. right at 210 degrees. Would one not be better served by running a wetting agent in your coolant and adding an external oil cooler? I would be more concerned about automatic transmission and axel temps. Fortunately both of my Jeeps are manuals. I do run synthetic 10w30 year round.

All the manuals show 10w-30 even the export.
There was a Mexican TJ on here that showed a dealer sticker under the hood stating to use 10w-40 or 15w-40? instead of 10w-30 but the book and oil cap still said 10w-30. This I believe is because 10w-40 and 15w-40 were more readily available in Mexico same as Australia.

Most 15w-40 is diesel engine oil and some contain not so good as well as good additives for petrol engines.

10w is rated for -12.2c start ups I doubt it gets that low in Athens even on your odd snow years. In Perth Australia the coldest it has ever got is -1c and that's 30.2F

I read an article on oil last year that said US uses 10w-30 because of some old oil regulation in US, last time 10w-30 was rated for best use for Chrysler was in the 1970,s and they stuck with it.

If its old and worn in a hot climate just use thicker oil but you are already using 10w-40 anyway.
I have no qualms about going 10w-50 in and old worn pushrod engine in West Australian summer conditions but its doing fine on the 10w-40 it was noisy when hot on 10w-30.
That's a pity. I thought the export manuals were different!

Anyhow, in my manual you can clearly seen that in the 4L engine you should use 10W30 for the hot period, and 5w30 only if its really cold.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 22.40.43.png

It's a completely different story about the 2.4L engine though. As you can see 5W30 is recommended up to temperatures similar to 10w30 (see chart below).

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 22.41.54.png

That's a pity. I thought the export manuals were different!

Anyhow, in my manual you can clearly seen that in the 4L engine you should use 10W30 for the hot period, and 5w30 only if its really cold.

View attachment 300920

It's a completely different story about the 2.4L engine though. As you can see 5W30 is recommended up to temperatures similar to 10w30 (see chart below).

View attachment 300921
Hows you engine running on the 10-w40.

I do not see the problem here with running in high temps. I regularly run my Jeeps in 100+ degree temps here in the SoCal and Az deserts and my temp gauge is the same as when temps are in the 50s. right at 210 degrees. Would one not be better served by running a wetting agent in your coolant and adding an external oil cooler? I would be more concerned about automatic transmission and axel temps. Fortunately both of my Jeeps are manuals. I do run synthetic 10w30 year round.
My temp gauge does not go up no matter the oil 30 or 40, I am just factoring in a high millage possible "worn engine" my engine sounds better on 10w-40 when very hot than it does 10w-30. I know this because I actually made the change.

After speaking to quite a few experienced mechanics they all say even 10-w 50 is ok to use on a "worn pushrod engine" in a hot climate and will do absolutely no damage or have any ill effects, is it true? who knows certainly not me.

I can almost guarantee that when I bought my TJ it had at least 10w-50 or an oil thickener additive in it because it was quiet even with low oil, but as soon as I did an oil change to 10w-30 the engine became noisier when hot.

200,000KM or 125,000 miles is classed as a worn engine in Australia requiring high mileage oil according to the oil manufacturers which is less than USA I believe.

Truth is that if my engine was new I would use manufacturers recommended 10w-30 but its not and I have no idea of just how much wear but it seems in my case as in some others that 10w-40 has made my hot engine quieter in extreme hot temperatures when the engine is running at full operating temperature. The only way to tell for yourself (talking anyone) is experience and if you swap to 10w-40 and see if it makes a difference to your own.

I am sure there are plenty of jeep owners in US running 10w-30 High mileage with a quart of Lucas when all they needed to do was use 10w-50 and save some money. :)