Requesting blessings for my wheel and tire choices

I certainly agree...and the tread is oddball too kinda...but I'm not at all concerned w/looks. Long term wear is less important too since this isn't a DD. I bet I do less than 1000 miles a year in this Jeep...but they will be brutal miles :)
I don't think the chunking will be a huge problem other then the few times a year I travel to Windrock.

Why do you want them? What do you like about them compared to any other tire?

The forums that also have a politics allowed area are even worse!
They're cesspools of hate, glad we don't have one.
Imapecker.gif

One big issue with people reporting their experience with any big purchase is they want to validate it. So for those that aren't analytical (which is an awful lot of people) they are willing to accept the bad because otherwise it invalidates their expensive purchase and they have to admit they may have made a mistake by not listening. Even worse are people that think they are analytical, but really aren't.

I'm new here so I really don't have an issue with anyone yet. :) but I think you are correct in that they want validation, maybe not to justify the huge expense but how to get the same for less expense. It's like thin most expensive hobbies/lifestyles.
As someone new, I'm sure I will ask a similar question, but at least I have enough sense to pay attention to those who are more knowledgeable.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
As someone new, I'm sure I will ask a similar question, but at least I have enough sense to pay attention to those who are more knowledgeable.

There's nothing with asking questions, nor having wrong guesses/inclinations. But you're 100% right in that it's very useful to be able to be open to hearing other opinions (many of which are very experienced) and filtering it into understanding before acting.

Someone along the thread said that we are all volunteers and don't benefit from whatever people choose to do. While sometimes we have survivorship or other biases, I'd take the forum's collective advice before a YouTuber's any day.

Well, I try to keep my mouth shut and just get my answers BUT since you asked...The online Jeep community seems pretty harsh to newcomers. Like we should all know all the ins and outs about Jeeps before asking. A lot of the information IS available with a search but sometimes you don't know what to search for or just want a second opinion OR just want to revisit the answers you found. I've frequented Tech/Cave diving forums for decades and I THOUGHT they were the kings of hardassery but nope. It's like some people have pent up anger/contempt looking to vent or something. It's not a big deal and well worth it to get access to the true gems of wisdom from certain people who really do know what they are talking about have to offer. I mean, the point is discussion anyway... isn't it? Pretty much everything related has been discussed at some point so ANY question is going to be something already covered.

So about Jeepers...I almost bought a FJ actually because I found one newer/cheaper than my TJ but they have a much smaller aftermarket and are arguably less capable w/o lots more extreme mods. It appears most of the jeepers I see around my area besides the college-girls(God Bless them) and such are Mall-Crawler types, the Amazon Jeep Accessory-Kings etc...I told my wife before buying my TJ that it seemed like most of the Jeep owners I have encountered are either Idiots, Jerks or some combo of the two. I had and still have concerns w/being associated w/the types that seem to gravitate to Jeeps. I would say that doesn't apply to the folks here in the forum(just to be clear). My buddy and I sold our SideBySides to get Jeeps so we could ride more places legally...so far I'm really glad I did.

I have done every single mod/repair myself since I got it and it's refreshing to have a vehicle that allows that. I could have bought a JK for less money but they are too far from being a Jeep and too close to being a Fiat :)

I get that. I think it depends on where you are, specifically. There are some groups on Facebook, for example, that are super welcoming to newcomers and their noob questions, and others that are not so welcome to those questions (what tire size can I fit with no lift?). I think old hats who've seen the same thing a million times get salty. I guess I can't blame them but they should just not comment if it bothers them so much. As you've seen what gets people here is when people don't accept the consensus advice. That advice is not always right, but often is. We should avoid acting as though we don't have to justify our position, though. That's why I appreciate Jerry's comments, he typically gives a reason why. Some are just like "because I said so, I know it all." OK, that may be close to true, but... not convincing. I'll take the word of the Youtuber I've seen in action and seen the results of their labor over some rando on a forum. Not that there has been anything I necessarily disagree with yet on this forum, but that's my attitude. If you can't even explain your position, shut up.

But I got off topic there, didn't I? haha Hopefully you find us here more welcoming than other places. But I hear you and I have seen that myself. I hope it isn't unique to us Jeepers. :(

As for the Jeeper stereotypes... man I didn't become aware of that until well after I had my TJ and now on rare occasion I will think about it. When some random dude in a pickup flicks me off for no reason I remember there's some mad hatred out there for Jeepers. I see comments from "normies" on Facebook about Jeepers and how they're all assholes who park like douches etc. Not a lot but it's there. But as in all things we should be careful not to give a shit what other people think.

I find that interesting about side by sides - here in PA we have far more legal places for them than Jeeps (although we don't have a shortage of Jeep legal places either).

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. I don't care how salty some of the veterans of the community may be or what the new Jeeps are like... I love that our TJs are so easy to work on, so classic looking, rugged, reliable and capable. Best Jeep out there, for me/us. :)

I think how welcoming an online group is to newbies is inversely proportional to the group's technical knowledge. The facespace groups full of posts featuring angry grills and rubber dicks ducks love answering stupid questions. On the other hand you have the old pirate board or @mrblaine. This board runs in the middle.

I think how welcoming an online group is to newbies is inversely proportional to the group's technical knowledge. The facespace groups full of posts featuring angry grills and rubber dicks ducks love answering stupid questions. On the other hand you have the old pirate board or @mrblaine. This board runs in the middle.

When is the last time you saw me pick on a newbie that either I didn't already know from elsewhere or that didn't righteously deserve it?

• Haha
Reactions: srimes
FTR: I was looking for validation but BEFORE I made the purchase. I was looking for some more opinions before spending the money on what I thought at the time was the best option for me. This thread has achieved exactly what I had hoped. I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything. Not only am I reassessing the size but also the tire model I'll get.
I do appreciate you guys help w/that.
I was actually a click away from ordering when I decided to post the original message.

The issue w/going to 35's at this point is that I've only got a 4" lift and OEM fenders including the wider/painted Sahara flares :) ...and 3.73s in my Dana 35.
All that would have to be addressed before I could get new tires...while I ride around on Dunlop-Maypops so thin you can see the air in them. I've read other folks who bent OEM fenders w/4" lift and 35s. I know the painted flares day's are numbered w/the way I intend to use the Jeep but it'll be a cool look till some rock and tree cleans them off and I get highlines or something.

The issue w/going to 35's at this point is that I've only got a 4" lift and OEM fenders including the wider/painted Sahara flares :) ...and 3.73s in my Dana 35.
All that would have to be addressed before I could get new tires...while I ride around on Dunlop-Maypops so thin you can see the air in them. I've read other folks who bent OEM fenders w/4" lift and 35s. I know the painted flares day's are numbered w/the way I intend to use the Jeep but it'll be a cool look till some rock and tree cleans them off and I get highlines or something.

All you need to fit 35s is an 1.25" body lift.

Reactions: rasband

Facebook is filled with morons. Case in point (top comment is mine). The "admin" comment is gold.

I rest my case about both facebook and Patagonias. Maybe I need to invite @jjvw to this group :ROFLMAO:

1657225424515.png

1657225466206.png

The "hills" in question:

1657225778636.png

1657225800621.png

• Haha
Reactions: rasband and jjvw
Facebook is filled with morons. Case in point (top comment is mine). The "admin" comment is gold.

I rest my case about both facebook and Patagonias. Maybe I need to invite @jjvw to this group :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 341345

View attachment 341346

The "hills" in question:

View attachment 341347

View attachment 341348

I mean, to be fair he's also not aired down, and stopped at the worst time, little momentum and he woulda been fine. I also think a K02 or certainly a KM3 would crawl through that no problem.

View attachment 341345

View attachment 341346

I want nothing to do with that.

Years ago, I was out on an easy scenic trail that passes an old mining site with a big pile of tailings. There is a well worn chute to the top that I have climbed without a second thought many times before. Already aired down a bit for comfort, I drop into 4 low and idle my way up where I am greeted with cheers and applause by a group of guys driving XJs and JKs.

Confused, I wave and say hi to the group. One of the guys excitedly tells me he has never seen anyone take that hill so slowly and easily. That he always has to hit it fast. How did I do it?

I mean, to be fair he's also not aired down, and stopped at the worst time, little momentum and he woulda been fine. I also think a K02 or certainly a KM3 would crawl through that no problem.

He's probably aired down to 20psi and worried about losing a bead.