Requirements for running 33s on a 99 TJ?

vito2772

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. Back in December I purchased my first vehicle, a 1999 Wrangler TJ Sport with 29K original miles completely bone stock with a couple of factory options. As many of you already know, I am already dreaming of some of the modifications I want to do to do.

The biggest (and most daunting) mod is going to 33s. I purchased the jeep with 28 inch K02s. I have don't quite a bit of digging through the forums in order to see what I will need to properly run 33s. I have a Dana 30 front a Dana 35 rear. I daily drive this wrangler and will do some mild-medium off-roading occasionally. Definitely not rock crawling or anything too hardcore. From what I have found, these axles should be good for 33s, in the future I do plan on putting a super 35 kit on with lockers, but that would be much later. The factory gearing is the 3.07, so I will be changing to 4.56s when I do all this work.

Now for the part that I am a little iffy on, the lift. I want to go with the OME 2'' lift with the heavy duty springs (from what I heard, that provides around 2.5'' of lift). Then I would also like to do a JKS 1.25 body lift, for hopefully an overall lift of 3.75''. Do you think at there will still be rub on the fender with articulation?

What else do I need to have this run properly? Do I need a SYE? drop the transfer case? Do I need a 1 inch motor mount lift? What about end stops, do I need extensions? Since I am only doing a 2.5 inch suspension lift, do I need to worry about getting an adjustable track bar? Anything else I am forgetting here?

My goal is to have a capable rig that is built correctly that will last for quite some time.

Last edited:
You could definitely get away with 2" springs, shocks, 1.25 body lift (use the aluminum pucks since they are roughly the same price as the poly mounts. I believe both currie and savvy make a set) and since you're adding a BL install an MML. The MML will reduce any chance of vibrations and also make it so you don't need to modify the fan housing.

As close to 4" of total lift as you can. Don't use the squishy JKS body lift. Pay close attention to the bump stops and the shock travels.