Rescue6's 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport

IMO, 90-95% of the trails here can be done on 35's, from what I recall when we did Red Cone, aren't your IROK's fairly worn? They maybe close to a 35 by now so the look may not change much at all.

IMO, 90-95% of the trails here can be done on 35's, from what I recall when we did Red Cone, aren't your IROK's fairly worn? They maybe close to a 35 by now so the look may not change much at all.
The iroks are about 60% tread left. But they are still seem significantly bigger than my buddy’s new 35”s parked next to one another. But they are 13.5” wide also. So that may be part of it also.

But you are right most all the trails are very doable in a TJ on 35” tires. Hell a friend of mine does Liberty on 33” tires easily

• Wow
Reactions: Only TJ's
But you are right most all the trails are very doable in a TJ on 35” tires. Hell a friend of mine does Liberty on 33” tires easily
Did liberty in my Red TJ on 35's and it struggled on the exit, ended up having to winch the last wall....that put the nail in the coffin for the white one to end up on 37's lol

Reactions: Rescue6
Since I’ve made the decision to not bastardize my Jeep any further and build a full tube chassis buggy for the big axles I’ve been slowly piecing together. I’ve got some decisions to make. I’ll continue to put the aluminum armor and fenders on, along with the new suspension and paint job. But it’s time to decide on new tires or tires and wheels. Since 35” tires seems to be the biggest size you can get a “decent” tire choice for a 15” rim. Like a Baja boss, km3, MTR, etc. Yes Interco makes some and I’ve not been happy with this last set of IROK’s, my first set was great though, Maxxis makes a 37 or 38 for nearly $500 each or there is a 37x14.5R15 Toyo I believe that’s way too wide. I’ve either gotta go back down to the 35” tires and keep my Spyder lock beadlocks or I’m gonna have to buy new wheels and tires to go 17” and 37” tires. Overall tires themselves are obviously at least $150 more expensive each for the 37” tires and it’s expected since they are larger. But wheels is what’s making me question wether to go back to 35” tires. Ive been on the larger 36” and 37” tires for quite a few years now and with the Jeep getting the Genright Highlines I already purchased this winter I’m afraid it’s going to look silly on 35” tires but if Im honest I can do all the trails I enjoy on 35” tires and it may even make them more fun and challenging again. The biggest advantage the 17” wheels would give me is that I could go up the the 16” rotors on my big brake kit. Any thoughts? I sure like the thought of $250-$300 each tire prices of the 35x12.50R15 tires vs. the $415-$475 a piece for the 37x12.50R17 plus the cost of wheels $650 for cheap steel or $2500 beadlocks what do you thing. With the 35” tires look silly with the Highlines and the 5” rear stretch and 2” front stretch? I know I’ll have the suspension set up to need them over my current standard height tube fenders.

I don't have any words of wisdom to offer. I'm a old school 15" rim guy but understand the reason for going to a 17" rim. As certain tires in rim sizes become less available it's going to make choices harder. It's why I went to a 17" rim as the selection of 16.5" tires had pretty much dried up. But I'm also a go bigger when you can guy too. IMO my TJ performed better on the 38" tires over the 35" tires.

How is your build going?
Slower than molasses in winter :LOL:. I paused on accumulating parts as my wife wanted to buy a new house here in Monument, so I close on it the first part of January, then I can get back to accumulating parts. Going to stop tweaking on the red one for a while, so I can build the white one, I feel schizophrenic jumping back and forth between them. Shoot me a text when you're free, I'm off work for the rest of the year using up PTO that I can't carry over.

Reactions: Rescue6
Slower than molasses in winter :LOL:. I paused on accumulating parts as my wife wanted to buy a new house here in Monument, so I close on it the first part of January, then I can get back to accumulating parts. Going to stop tweaking on the red one for a while, so I can build the white one, I feel schizophrenic jumping back and forth between them. Shoot me a text when you're free, I'm off work for the rest of the year using up PTO that I can't carry over.
Yeah working on multiple Jeeps can get really expensive quick and overwhelming. I’ve done one for both kiddos. My problem is opposite. I’ve got all the parts. Just need the time. My body only allows me to do so much these days. I’m medically retired so I’m free pretty often.

Reactions: Wildman
I don't have any words of wisdom to offer. I'm a old school 15" rim guy but understand the reason for going to a 17" rim. As certain tires in rim sizes become less available it's going to make choices harder. It's why I went to a 17" rim as the selection of 16.5" tires had pretty much dried up. But I'm also a go bigger when you can guy too. IMO my TJ performed better on the 38" tires over the 35" tires.
I agree in go bigger when you can. I just don’t want to buy another set of Beadlocks for this and then a set in 8 lug for the buggy build. I’ll probably suck it up and do it anyway though. However I’ll probably get them in 5on5 so they are more versatile in the future

Yeah working on multiple Jeeps can get really expensive quick and overwhelming. I’ve done one for both kiddos. My problem is opposite. I’ve got all the parts. Just need the time. My body only allows me to do so much these days. I’m medically retired so I’m free pretty often.

I can fully understand the fact of our bodies not agreeing with the pace that we try to keep.

I agree in go bigger when you can. I just don’t want to buy another set of Beadlocks for this and then a set in 8 lug for the buggy build. I’ll probably suck it up and do it anyway though. However I’ll probably get them in 5on5 so they are more versatile in the future

Yes buying rims and tires isn't cheap.

I think he went to 37”

I didn't know that.

Well the Jeep went back under the knife again last weekend. I will have the new longer rear shock towers finished up and welded in tomorrow and get them painted. Also modified the spring perches to better fit the springs with the rear stretch. I have the rockjock 60 stuffing up with only a 2.25” bump stop extension over stock in the rear. 12” travel Fox race series tuned shocks and Currie springs. Then we take out the old RE long arms off the front and do a custom mid arm 3 link and front stretch, relocate the trackbar and build custom front towers for the 12” Foxes up front as well. Then it’s on to the the stand alone trans crossmember and UCF ultra clearance skid plate. While we are doing all this all the steel Genright body armor, Front fenders and sliders are being removed and will be replaced after a new paint job is done with New Aluminum Genright highline fenders, Aluminum corners, Mini boatside sliders, and windshield armor. Everything should be completed by the end of the first week in May. A huge thanks to my best friend for all his time and help on this thing. I most certainly could not do it without him. Together we make one whole physically capable person so we are a good pair of crippled old guys. Pictures to follow after tomorrow’s work. I’m super excited to have all this done and checked off my too do list. I’ve had all the parts for over two years now.

Got some welding done today and built the front shock tower extensions from Jeep West. Cut the factory front shock towers and started fitting them today.

92334D6B-0161-47F8-83FB-73A5FD269466.jpeg

2D076F36-F8B2-4D19-BB38-B5075D5E7756.jpeg

C17576FD-2806-4190-AEA4-31DFD6DA75D6.jpeg

A750C40E-FB30-4626-A78F-ABD11D6A5210.jpeg

2108A84B-A824-41DF-AF51-5D04DB702D6A.jpeg

Few more pictures of the progress on the front shock tower install. Gotta get the new front arms and mounts installed in the morning then it’s on to the stand alone transmission mount/ crossmember and new belly skid.

ED323F8C-DB67-49DB-9521-F16EEC827CA8.jpeg

F5529725-F578-4E5B-8627-F44E51602997.jpeg

B5FF6D8A-6BDB-455D-B7B5-2F1E20FABE5B.jpeg

Last edited: