Researching options for a 98 TJ I just bought

tykesplace

TJ Enthusiast
Apologies in advance for the long post. I'm researching options.

I just bought this a few days ago. It's a 1998 SE, 242k miles, 2.5L 5 speed. The guy I got it from bought it in 2014, stock condition. The 2.5L was rebuilt and bored 0.20 over at some point before he bought it. He installed a rebuilt head about 15k miles ago. The p.o. before him used it to commute from Montana to LA, from which he would fly to Asia for his work in the movie industry. Apparently he didn't like flying small domestic planes. Hence the high miles.

Because of the way it was used, the interior is in great shape. The passenger seat and rear seat are in new condition. His mom is a seamstress. She recovered the lower driver's seat. He installed seat heaters too. I just changed plugs, rotor, and wires. The only mechanical issue is a leaky LR axle seal. The Dave's Rack could use a coat of paint or maybe bed liner, but it's solid. Body and paint are great. No damage or rust.

A few years ago the seller installed a 3.5" Rancho lift with 9000 adjustable shocks, sway disconnects, and 33" tires (need to be changed) on 16" faux bead lock wheels.

He also had a Dana 44 rear axle from a '03 Rubicon, with new brake parts - drilled and slotted rotors, calipers, and hoses. He bought it in anticipation of a V8 swap someday. But he's building an SS, and he just bought his 2nd Mini Cooper. That was one too many for the wife. Jeep had to go.

He wanted $5k for the rig and $1500 for the axle. We settled on $5400 for everything. I'm happy with it. And now I'm planning...

I'll probably install the axle this summer. I'll just need to figure out the compressor set up for the locker. It has 4.10 gears, as does the front. I think that's ok for tooling around town, but I know re-gearing is in my future.

I need to change the tires. I'm considering Milestar Patagonia M/T in 315/75 R16. I don't see bigger tires for 16x12.5 wheels, and I think 35" might be a good fit for the 3.5" lift.

I'm also researching a 5.2 or 5.9 swap. That seems like something I can handle. I'm watching out for a donor Durango or Dakota.

This all leads me to the front axle and gears. I've been told that I should swap a Dana 44 in the front because the Dana 30 is a potential weak point. But I've also heard that installing chromoly axles and a locker in the Dana 30 could be fine and that most of the stress is on the rear axle. Maybe I could install a truss kit too.

With 35" tires I'm thinking 5.13 gears. That seems like a good combo to me. Of course that depends on what I'm looking to do with the rig. At this point I figure it will be an occasional daily driver for me in the winter (I ride a '05 Yamaha Roadstar in good weather). But I also want to do moderate trails with the local club, hunting and camping, and Moab stuff with my brother (but not extreme rock crawling or hopping).

So that's my plan. 5.2 or 5.9 swap. Chromoly front axles with a locker. Dana 44 rear. 35" tires. Does that sound a like a reasonable plan? I'm open to opinions.

(Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.)

r20sBl7IQg+qphHYu5DXfw_thumb_1d450.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking Jee, great foundation for wrenching pleasure. I have the Dana 30 and Dana 44 with 33" wheels and 4.56 gears. Wish I'd gone with 4.88's. That said, it serves me well. The larger the tire the more $$ you will need to throw at it.

Thanks.
From what I’ve read 4.88 seems to be what many go with. 5.13 wouldn’t be worth it if I was already at 4.88. But since I’m starting at 4.10 going to 5.13 seems to a good choice. Especially with 35” on the radar.

Look at a Detroit locker instead of the factory rear locker. They are weak from what I read.
And everyone has their opinion. But you may want to look into a Chevy ls based engine instead of a 5.2 or 5.9. Way more support on the Chevy side and motors are cheap.

What kind of support would a 350 have that a 5.2 or 5.9 wouldn’t? Honest question.
Also from what I’ve read a 350 swap is more complicated.

What kind of support would a 350 have that a 5.2 or 5.9 wouldn’t? Honest question.
Also from what I’ve read a 350 swap is more complicated.
When talking LS, GMP standalones, tons of aftermarket standalones, plenty of people out there who can tune them through the mail, dyno tuners are super familiar with LS tuning, tons of aftermarket motor mounts for LS swaps, front mount kits to pull everything close into the center of the engine bay, all the different GM intake manifolds to fit your engine bay, tons of oil pan offerings to support LS swaps in differnet applications, lots of available exhaust manifolds to include more than a few block hugger styles which are purpose built for LS swaps, all the differnt GM cams and head packages.

LS swaps are done so much that the LS marketplace is saturated with parts and companies to back up swaps.

As mentioned they are cheap and plentiful. They Play “nice” with the wranglers narrow frame and some companies can re-work your dash so it remains stock. Thats not to say its easy. The front suspension is the biggest hurdle.

The list goes on. This was just off the top of my head.

Please note: I have not LS swapped a TJ/LJ.

Thanks for the 350 info @Fouledplugs. I guess was thinking more about the engine itself. Maintenance and such. I wasn't really thinking about the stuff needed for the swap itself. So good to know.

I found something on Craigslist. Would this be a good donor vehicle? '95 Cherokee with 170k. 5.2L, automatic. Since it's a 5.2L I think it will have the 46RH. I'm not totally familiar with that trans.
It should have the hp30 front axle. Since I'm planning on re-gearing anyway I can rebuild the axle. I'm not sure if it has the bigger u-joints.
I'm waiting for the VIN to confirm all specs.

He says it runs but probably needs a fuel pump. $300 and I'd have to tow it 70 miles.

Assuming there are no motor or trans issues (besides the fuel pump) could this be a good deal for an engine/trans and front axle swap?

Another candidate. '01 Silverado 164k miles. 5.3L with 4L60E. Truck was rolled but he says the engine and trans are still good and run strong. $550 OBO.

It has a 4"-6" Fabtec lift, so maybe I could strip and sell that. This one is in town so I'm going to look at it this evening.

If you are going to run 35" tires the dana 30 will do fine. Plenty of people beat on them pretty hard and they hold up fine. It might help if you described what you plan on doing with the Jeep after you build it.

At this point I figure it will be an occasional daily driver for me in the winter. But I also want to do moderate trails with the local club, hunting and camping, and Moab stuff with my brother (but not extreme rock crawling or hopping).

I figure the dana 30 is fine for, but I'm thinking about 5.13 gears for the 35". Since I'm re-gearing why not move to the high pinion axle while I'm at it. Maybe chromoly axles just for a little extra.

Thanks for the 350 info @Fouledplugs. I guess was thinking more about the engine itself. Maintenance and such. I wasn't really thinking about the stuff needed for the swap itself. So good to know.

I found something on Craigslist. Would this be a good donor vehicle? '95 Cherokee with 170k. 5.2L, automatic. Since it's a 5.2L I think it will have the 46RH. I'm not totally familiar with that trans.
It should have the hp30 front axle. Since I'm planning on re-gearing anyway I can rebuild the axle. I'm not sure if it has the bigger u-joints.
I'm waiting for the VIN to confirm all specs.

He says it runs but probably needs a fuel pump. $300 and I'd have to tow it 70 miles.

Assuming there are no motor or trans issues (besides the fuel pump) could this be a good deal for an engine/trans and front axle swap?
A couple things.

1). To be US emissions legal the engine has to be from the same year as your Jeep or newer.

2). If you live in a place where there’s no emissions testing and you ignore that (no big deal unless you move somewhere emissions testing is required) you want a 96 or up Cherokee that uses the same JTEC ECMs as the wrangler does.

3). The only Cherokee that came with the 46RE was the 98 with the 5.9. The 5.2s all came mated with a 44RE.

Last edited:
At this point I figure it will be an occasional daily driver for me in the winter. But I also want to do moderate trails with the local club, hunting and camping, and Moab stuff with my brother (but not extreme rock crawling or hopping).

I figure the dana 30 is fine for, but I'm thinking about 5.13 gears for the 35". Since I'm re-gearing why not move to the high pinion axle while I'm at it. Maybe chromoly axles just for a little extra.
Personally I'd get some nice new tires, maybe just 33" like you have now and see how it does. You might like it just they way it is. Those little 2.5s are pretty good on the trail and you don't have to worry so much about axles when you don't have 300HP. I don't know if you've wheeled a little TJ before but they are like mountain goats, just not so good on the freeway.

Personally I'd get some nice new tires, maybe just 33" like you have now and see how it does. You might like it just they way it is. Those little 2.5s are pretty good on the trail and you don't have to worry so much about axles when you don't have 300HP. I don't know if you've wheeled a little TJ before but they are like mountain goats, just not so good on the freeway.

I don't care about the freeway. I have an F350 for that.
I've only done some logging roads and such, so I'm still getting used to it. I'm probably going to 35" tires. I think the 4.10 gears won't be enough. I'm thinking 4.88 or even 5.13. Leaning toward the deeper gears.

I'm in Montana. No emissions testing.

Thanks for the year details. So the '95 wouldn't be a good donor.
Correct.

$550 for that Silverado is a killer price. You could part it out and scrap it for more than that while keeping the engine and trans and anything else you might need for the swap.

I'm not sure how much of it I could part out. It rolled twice. The body is shot. It sat over the winter in a lot of snow with no windows. So the interior is a mess. I think two of the wheels are ok. Maybe the tires. Possibly other stuff.

No damage to the engine that I can see. Just a rub from the hood on the K&N intake tube. I'm sure it would clean up nicely.

He got it last year when he drove a wrecker. He was the recovery driver. It landed upright, so the motor didn't sit upside down. He said that when he was getting it onto the wrecker that he could start it and it sounded fine. But the cops lost the keys after the accident. And now the battery is out. So I couldn't hear it run. He said that he pulled the plugs made sure the cylinders were dry and not hydro locked. I'd like to see if I jump it or something without the keys.

It's difficult to get good a look underneath since it's down on the rims, but I didn't see any signs of damage or leaks. Just typical oily-dirt build up.

He said he's take $500.

He was going to keep the frame and drivetrain and put a '51 Chevy truck body on it, but someone driving by made an offer on the '51 that he couldn't turn down.

Reactions: Alex01
That's definitely the way to do it, buying the entire donor vehicle. It takes so much of the guess work out of it, that's for sure. I've done engine swaps both ways before (with and without the donor vehicle), and I don't think I'll ever do an engine swap again unless I have the donor vehicle.

Another great 6 cylinder engine for a TJ would be the 3.6 Pentastar from the JKs. Surprised I haven't seen that done yet, it's a fantastic engine with plenty of power.

I'm in the midst of the 5.9 Magnum swap. It is a little more straight forward than the LS swap because everything is within the Mopar family so to get everything to "talk to each other" is easier. If I were you, I'd honestly enjoy the TJ over the summer, wait until the winter months to start the swap, don't be in too big of a rush to start it. My engine went out so I was forced to start the swap, luckily I have another DD and taking my time on the swap.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/project-red-headed-stepchild-a-restoration-build.6125/ great Magnum swap guide here and as you'll see towards the end @RangerRick is more than willing to answer questions and has an abundance of knowledge. I have a couple other sources I've been pulling my info from on my swap if you want me to send those in a PM to you. One resource is a YouTube series from a guy up in MT, he might even be nearby, I can't remember his exact location.