Restoring plastic trim with heat gun

Tiffany LeBlanc

Hey guys, new here. I have tried to restore my plastic trim on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I used a heat gun and did it just like the videos showed but it’s very spotty. I’ve done multiple times. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, new here. I have tried to restore my plastic trim on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I used a heat gun and did it just like the videos showed but it’s very spotty. I’ve done multiple times. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Any suggestions?

I had no problem, just move slowly and progress using an even pattern, do not jump around. The parts must be clean (I power washed everything) as years of cleaning products can add to blotchy results. It also helps to have a good heat gun, I use a Porter-Cable gun.

I used a heat gun when I used to run flares and it always came out nice. I used the lower temp setting, a heat gun's high heat setting is too hot.

Fender Flare by Heat Gun.jpg

Reactions: Baird
I had no problem, just move slowly and progress using an even pattern, do not jump around. The parts must be clean (I power washed everything) as years of cleaning products can add to blotchy results. It also helps to have a good heat gun, I use a Porter-Cable gun.
I didnt clean it. The video didn’t say to.should I clean what I’ve done and retry? I uploaded photo. What heat setting did you use? What do I clean with?

6BD988F7-FB3F-481E-A228-038EB3CAFAEE.jpeg

Why not use a product actually designed for restoring plastic...? Sometimes using the right tool for the job eliminates the problems like the ones you are having. I notice the same ugly spots in Jerry’s photo.

I know this is a peoduct photo but it really does work. I run it and thought it would be slick and sticky like armor all. But it dried and came out great and wasnt sticky or slick. It just looks new.
http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-black-trim-restorer.html
Note: pics from Adams website.
27CC1E90-1925-405C-BAD1-A65DF2EB8247.jpeg
A3261A06-4DE2-4ED3-BA50-F7F8E1E4DEED.jpeg

There are plenty of youtube videos from professional detailers like ammoNYC. He doesnt use heat...

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
I didnt clean it. The video didn’t say to.should I clean what I’ve done and retry? I uploaded photo. What heat setting did you use? What do I clean with?

The area should be cleaned, soap and water with a scrub brush will do the trick, I used a power washer and as Jerry stated a low setting is preferred.

Why not use a product actually designed for restoring plastic...? Sometimes using the right tool for the job eliminates the problems like the ones you are having. I notice the same ugly spots in Jerry’s photo.

I know this is a peoduct photo but it really does work. I run it and thought it would be slick and sticky like armor all. But it dried and came out great and wasnt sticky or slick. It just looks new.
View attachment 32130 View attachment 32131
There are plenty of youtube videos from professional detailers like ammoNYC. He doesnt use heat...
How long does it last

I use the same gun with excellent results.
It takes me several hours with all the plastic cladding on an Avalanche.
Patients is key.

View attachment 32130 View attachment 32131
Adam's Polish is the shit, excuse my French. Great products.

Reactions: Fouledplugs