Classic LJ Build

Stockish

Got my Jeep a few months ago for a good price and have only done maintenance and a few cosmetic mods. This first post is a recap of the past months disaster. (168,000 miles)
5ABB8C72-2187-444B-A2E1-C8D35279C74A.jpeg

Came back the next week, parked it in the garage and find this...
79EB1C33-7892-41F8-9B71-255433DBA09F.jpeg

Changed out the valve cover gasket just in case, but it was the rear main seal.
D48C2361-7F01-4AD8-99A5-FE953A9D99A2.jpeg

One new oil pump, pan gasket, two rear main seals, no oil pressure (because of oil pump shaft priming), 5 gal of synthetic 10w-30, and an oily floor it was done. While working on the rear main seal I found a progressive coolant leak dripping by the rear main seal and a oil drip on the front of the engine so the front of the motor came apart. Also had the radiator steam cleaned.
9AED82F7-60B3-4158-A67D-49E75E846EA7.jpeg

A timing chain cover gasket, water pump, thermostat (205 I think), a bunch of gasket maker, and 10 gal of antifreeze (even though it won’t leave Florida), and a new mess I was done with coolant leaks and oil spills. But then there was a oil leak by the rear main seal and I died on the inside but it turned out to be the oil pressure sender line.

I also did some mods and maintenance to the suspension like, steering stabilizer, 2.5” skyjacker springs (used), breather extenders (it is Florida after all), and some good greasing. Also did a full fluid swap including diffs, tranny, and transfer case.

The Jeep came with a nice tuffy locking center console but the locking assembly was disconnected so in the corner for you.
E70BC64B-7C35-431F-9219-41C5B855E7C0.jpeg

Did some more small mods like getting rid of the grill guards, light guards, side steps removal, grab handles, rubber bumps on front bumper, and a whole lot more. I keep the soft top off most of the time and run a short bikini top and sometimes a cab curtain. The Jeep had a broken center bezel so I replaced it with a used bezel and also put in a new single din radio.

I got rid of the factory rear bumper for a overbuilt tow bar and some bumperettes. Don’t shame me I like the look of them and they also protect against the snow birds.
20201223_092900.jpg

I am planning to use this as a tow rig so I can tow my little 14’ Jon boat (now a tracker pro 165) or 4 wheeler. I used it to tow my 4 wheeler with a trailer larger than the Jeep and she did a great job with the 3:73’s and Dana 44. I am so glad that the unlimited package comes with disc brakes. No abs, a fresh wet and oily road, and a missed turn resulted in the longest rear tire skid of all time.

We have 3 Jeeps (4 now) so I need to come up with a name instead of blue Jeep. I was thinking of Stockish because that’s how I plan to build this one. Overall, I want this LJ to look factory and perform well off-road but also be a good daily driver. Not a weekend warrior but an all around well built. This is going to be a budget project and will contain a lot of mismatched parts.

Last edited:
Up to date pic.
20210709_155800.jpg

Mod and Parts List:
  • 2.5" Skyjacker Springs
  • Rancho 5500’s
  • 33” BFG KO2 on Cragar 320 15x8 4.5”
  • Sway bar discos
  • ZJ Tie rod
  • Rampage Bikini and Windbreaker (I recommend Bestop)
  • CJ License plate bracket
  • CJ Hood latches
  • CJ style mirrors
  • Removed Factory Side Steps
  • Removed Front Rubber Bumpers and Milk jugs
  • Removed Third Brake Light
  • Only run front Carpets
Future Parts List:
  • Adjustable Trackbars
  • Adjustable CA’s
  • Front Bumper/Winch
  • Springs
  • Body lift
  • MML
Future Mods that require bodywork/paint or extensive work
  • Tummy Tuck
  • Aluminum Fenders
  • 32rh swap
  • EFI swap
  • High pinion Dana 30
  • Exhaust/headers

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq and 02GreenTJ
Made some budget sway bar disconnects and here is that little project.

Parts List:
  • 2x (2 1/2x1/2 Clevis Pins)
  • 2x (1/2 Clips)
  • 2x (Washers)
Had to sand down the 1/2 pins ~2 thousandths. Don't buy the 7/16 pins they are too small.

20201223_100648.jpg

While doing this I took the springs out and removed the bump stop extensions. I had to take the track bar out to get the passenger side spring out and couldn't get the track bar back in without a ratchet strap. Also, noticed my shocks were way to short and I need some longer ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq
Just did some small mods.
Can you spot the difference?

20210116_125210.jpg

I removed what was left of the roll bar padding.

20210116_125203.jpg

Tucked up the rear wiring and bent tabs. I also used a drill eraser and removed the entry guards, trail rated badge, dealership stickers, and rear tub guards.

20210116_125153.jpg

And yes lap belts work fine in tj's.

20210116_125225.jpg

Just ordered CJ/YJ Hood Latches, CJ Style Mirrors, and CJ License Plate Bracket.

Last edited:
Got all of my parts in and started on the mirrors.
928915C0-6772-4FA4-8093-AA76D3C74F39.jpeg

Removed the spreader bars, for now.
1D56AB49-0972-413C-81DC-0B6BF6E7B929.jpeg

Put on my CJ License plate mount, had to trim the connector a little bit.
F68E8B4F-DA85-484E-9117-EA7B8E3AF417.jpeg

And finally, the CJ/YJ hood latches. The TJ latches were done for and they didn’t want to come out at all and had to drill them. Drilled the new holes for and put the upper brackets back in. Man, I hate mid 00’s Chrysler paint.
2DEEEE30-4E86-4A12-B723-EE5435233378.jpeg

Last edited:
First post as a new guy. I like the direction that you're headed. I'll be inheriting my Dad's 99 TJ soon, as he's getting to old to safely drive. I'm wanting to go the same direction that you're going with yours. It's only got 107k miles on it, and has only been off roaded once. I'm wanting to basically make it a mall crawler to take out on nice days. It'll never go off road again, while i have it. It's Dad's and i want to take care of it and keep it nice. Just wanting to do a small lift, new slot mags from US Mag, and i may go with 33's. All Terrains for sure. No need to worry about beefing things up for the 33's since it'll never see any trail thrashing. Just want a nice clean cruiser for nice days. Total Barbie Jeep. Lol! i found your post trying to find some retro Renegade decals or something along those lines, for it.

Reactions: harbiison
I also used a drill eraser and removed the entry guards, trail rated badge, dealership stickers, and rear tub guards.
I like the look of your jeep a lot. Very clean, I am a fan of trying to keep some of the stock look. I had never heard of one of these and have been struggling with stickers on my other car the entire time I've had it. I need one of these!! To keep it Jeep friendly :p I'll also be using it on the dealership stickers on the Jeep, I hate providing free advertising for companies I've never even heard of

I am not a fan of decals or dealership/factory stickers and decals unless it’s like a islander, renegade, or Laredo package. My YJ still has its islander stickers but this LJ is gonna be a clean slate.

Oh, and one more thing. This
07CB59E6-0770-4ED9-84C2-9E556B225B38.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Bone Smash
I’m doing some late night thinking... for the distant future since I’ll never sell her. Here’s a list of ridiculous future plans: Flat tummy tuck with no body lift and custom tunnel. CJ front clip with a custom cowl, ha never. YJ dash because TJ dashes were not made for tall people. I feel like I’m driving from the back seat floor. Plenty of leg room but the seating position in a YJ or CJ is so much better.

Last edited:
Made some hood latch "guards" that cover the spin marks and clean up the hood.
The CJ style hood latches greatly reduce hood flutter and don’t squeak like most people complain. To keep them from squeaking you have to run them long.
20210514_135857.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
My old shocks kicked the bucket and needed to be replaced since they were factory and too short. Something to counteract those $100 Springs. Ranchos have been the only shock to put up with my white YJ so I bought some 5000x’s. And a little flex test to boot, but my jack is too short.
DA3C39F2-4507-4493-A23A-521DF810F1AA.jpeg

Just did pads and rotors but all the calipers locked up so now I have new brakes and longer lines. Somehow while I was having brake troubles my tie rod bent so I put on a ZJ tie rod.
8139814B-DF92-4C45-BC22-4B75307BC7BB.jpeg

And to stop wind noise I cut up a pool noodle and clipped them onto the frame.
E87FEAF1-0C20-4F98-9D21-EEE7CC4E60B8.jpeg

My tires are not round anymore, yes, and my wheels clear coat is almost gone so I was thinking some 33x10.5r15 ko2’s on Cragar 320 15x7 with 4.5” backspacing. (Not this setup btw).
20210622_153815.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: harbiison
I've had my wheels and tires mounted and ready to go on the jeep for a while... but they hit 1 caliper... 1. Turn's out they make many different styles of calipers under the same part number. But after going to a couple of parts stores I found two matchingish rear calipers that fit my wheels. Also, I went with some clean basic hub covers.

20210709_155800.jpg
20210709_155811.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalGlide
Last time I checked, spark plugs had gap right?
20210926_113227.jpg

One of these is not like the other. Looks like I'm getting a 6cyl now, not a 5cyl. Number 1 was not very pretty and they weren't double iridium tips. I'm thinking this jeep never had a service since around 100,000 miles. Getting my tractor up to over 100 horse. Still have a bad computer, thinking my o2's shorted out.