Return to AMC, sort of

CherokeeKid

Supporting Member
Hi folks. I've got a question I may post about but not after I've thoroughly searched this forum to see if there's already an answer out there. Also, thought I'd introduce myself as a new member.
I bought an 82 CJ7 several years ago. Had it for several years, really enjoyed the experience. Rebuilt the 258, threw in a Comp cam, new steering gearbox, Motorcraft carb, bunch of Clifford goodies, lined the tub interior, a million other things. Had it up around Telluride and had as much fun as I could until the altitude vs. carb jet battle determined the altitude won. CJ had factory 2.73 gears, I parted with it knowing that changing carriers/gears/axle shafts or the entire housings and doing a spring over and EFI setup was more than I wanted to spend on it. Always swore I'd have another. Almost certainly a TJ Rubicon... but with prices where they are, I settled on an 03 X with 99,000 on the clock, Dana 35/Dana 30, 2 inch suspension, 2 inch body lift. I typically despise body lifts but it helped me determine the frame is pristine. I looked at a whole bunch of these TJs with frame and body rust. Has what I think are called "super" 35 axles, eaton no spin rear locker, 4.56 gears, 4.0L, and NV3550. Very happy to have another Jeep, especially a fuel injected one with decent gears, EFI, factory 4 link coils, and this one even has an air conditioner. Glad to be a member, I've been lurking around for awhile.

20201123_155040.jpg

photo 3 (1).JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 1 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hard to beat fuel injection, huh?

As much as I yearn for a CJ or some sort of older vehicle with carbs, I realize that they aren't as fun to own as one might think.

For this reason I think the TJ is my favorite Jeep ever produced. You get the coil springs and the fuel injection, but not all the other electrical nannies that come on the new ones, and just one, simple computer. Sure, there's still wiring and such, but for being a somewhat modern vehicle, it's about as primitive as you can get.

So I think it's really the best of both worlds in the end (y)

Reactions: TJRick
Hard to beat fuel injection, huh?

As much as I yearn for a CJ or some sort of older vehicle with carbs, I realize that they aren't as fun to own as one might think.

For this reason I think the TJ is my favorite Jeep ever produced. You get the coil springs and the fuel injection, but not all the other electrical nannies that come on the new ones, and just one, simple computer. Sure, there's still wiring and such, but for being a somewhat modern vehicle, it's about as primitive as you can get.

So I think it's really the best of both worlds in the end (y)
TBI kit and you're done. I have been thinking about it for a while.

Reactions: Chris