Rev Limiter

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
OK, here's a question for the Jeep Gurus... Does the engine management system on our TJ's have a rev limiter? The reason I ask is I had a pickup pull out and try to run me over when I was making a left hand turn the other day. I hammered the throttle in second gear to get out of his way. After completing my left hand turn I glanced at the gauges and the tach was just below the redline. Didn't seem to hurt the four banger any, it's still purring right along. A TJ with a four banger will really scoot in second gear and the throttle mashed to the floor, by the way. It just jumps!

Oh yeah, there's a rev limiter for sure. If there wasn't you'd have a lot of guys blowing their engines up pretty easily.

I'm not exactly sure what the rev limiter is set at, but it's there!

Reactions: StG58
Nice to know. I don't usually bounce the rev's off the limiter, but when I do it's usually when paying attention to the tach isn't an option. Surprised the heck out of me. Normal acceleration in first, truck starts pulling out, grab second and hammer it. Reminded me of my old Volvo 142E and they way it would jump in second gear when pushed hard.

BTW, that AX5 transmission is really balky when you try to power shift it. I can really understand why they have an evil reputation.

Yeah, that AX15 isn't made for quick shifts or anything like a BMW Getrag tranny, that's for sure!

...and I don't even have an AX15, I have the AX5 POS. Gotta look into doing something about that one of these days. I would LOVE a transmission that shifts like a getrag, or even one of the old M21 / M22's.

Reactions: Chris
If I shift every time my shift light on the dash tells me to, I will never see 2000 rpms. I have had my shift come on in 5th gear telling me to shift into 6th, but I have an AX15. Either a fluke, or I was really cruising.

If I shift every time my shift light on the dash tells me to, I will never see 2000 rpms. I have had my shift come on in 5th gear telling me to shift into 6th, but I have an AX15. Either a fluke, or I was really cruising.
That was my second mod, pulling that inane Upshift light bulb. Took 30 minutes or so, totally worth it. My first mod was disconnecting the seat belt buzzer connector. I NEVER drive without my seatbelts but I don't want it buzzing at me if I'm doing something like moving my TJ from the street into my garage.

That was my second mod, pulling that inane Upshift light bulb. Took 30 minutes or so, totally worth it. My first mod was disconnecting the seat belt buzzer connector. I NEVER drive without my seatbelts but I don't want it buzzing at me if I'm doing something like moving my TJ from the street into my garage.

Wait, there's a factory shift light? LOL

Wait, there's a factory shift light? LOL
Yep, the factory did that on the manual transmissions trying to make the EPA happy... a never ending thing. I don't think the Upshift light continued into later model TJs with the manual transmission.

For a moment there I thought you guys were talking about Autometer shift lights you had installed. I was about to ask if you did a lot of drag racing or just never properly learned to drive a manual, haha!

Wow... I guess we can thank the EPA for that one. Wonder why they did away with it (other than the fact it's annoying).

For a moment there I thought you guys were talking about Autometer shift lights you had installed. I was about to ask if you did a lot of drag racing or just never properly learned to drive a manual, haha![/QUOTE

A moped would win a drag race if you shift by way of that shift reminder light (arrow).

I really need to do this! How do I remove that up shift light bulb? That's thing annoys the hell out of me!