Revenge of the Road Kill

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
So dad left me an 05 C6 Corvette, 22,500 miles. Not a vette guy but, hey give me one and I’ll try.

I know these are unique cars, been around a lot of them, and they have their own quirks and downsides, fans and history, but this one is trying to kill me.

First it needs a harmonic balancer (factory defect, all 11,039 first run LS2 Vettes) , tires and a shift cable - ok, she gets all that , alignment and a few fresh tanks of gas and it is a lot of fun.

Saturday night I take it out in yet another vain attempt to impress my wife , 50 mph on south parkway in Huntsville and a possum or armadillo runs out in front of me, I’m boxed in and hit it about dead center.

First, I dislike any unnecessary death so let’s get that out of the way, but anyone who thinks an animals’ life is close to as valuable as a humans is totally wrong. That is not even up for discussion in my book. Kill one of each and see what happens.

Back on track, when I hit it it sounded like I hit a concrete block- and looked like it - it “Veed” the air dam and condenser 4-5” and pushed the radiator into the sway bar- visibility is nil under it so we plan to lift it up tomorrow pm and survey the damage. I figure 1800- 3 grand at least before it’s over-

Even though it was dads, I’m pretty tempted to fix it and sell it - I think I’m just going to be too uptight to enjoy it, plus I can go 45 mph in a topless TJ on a moonlit backroad and have way more fun, clear every varmint and actually work on it if needed without being afraid of it.

It is an impressive machine, and the C6 is really a good car overall, simple enough, way refined over the bone jarring C4 and C5, and beautiful in its Ferrari like aesthetic. Part of me would love to keep it- but another part of me has a bank account he wants to stay upright.

When is the last time a possum or armadillo so much as scratched a TJ?

The way I see it, if you use the money for something that honors / supports / creates a memory that you can thank him for that’s all that matters. Could be a Vette, Jeep, Kitchen Reno, bettering your future, you name it..

Reactions: AndyG
if it were me I’d probably sell it. The C6 IMO only looks good from the door forward, I’ve always disliked the the back 1/2’s (styling wise) from the C4 through the C6. And the C3 only looks slightly better. I do love a C7 though, I’d take that over a C8, any day, not because of nostalgia, and FR vs MR, but just because it looks cooler IMO. And I love to kick the ass end around corners.
But I do get it, being your old man’s car and all, I’d still have a blast driving it. And I don’t know if your old man was a huge corvette fan (that would play a huge factor for me at least) or anything, but it’s still almost too new for me to have any sentimental feelings/attachments towards it. Hell my old man just sold his flat fender that has been in the family longer than me. I kicked around buying it till I heard the price he was asking. My brother bought it though so at least it’s still in the family

Andy,
My dad passed away three years ago and when he died, he left me a 2002 Vette and an 82 Collector. I didn't have garage space for two Vettes, so I sold the 2002 pretty quickly. I tried to hang on to the 82 because it meant so much to him, but like you, I am not a die hard Vette guy and also like you, I kept putting money into it. Finally my mom said, "You know that your dad wouldn't want you to keep that car on account of him if you don't really want it." God bless mom. It was the approval I needed to let it go.

Still have great memories of him, just not an old Corvette sitting around collecting dust.

The way I see it, if you use the money for something that honors / supports / creates a memory that you can thank him for that’s all that matters. Could be a Vette, Jeep, Kitchen Reno, bettering your future, you name it..

i would hit “like “ twice if i could - very good posts all around.

Hazards of driving a spatula😂

if it were me I’d probably sell it. The C6 IMO only looks good from the door forward, I’ve always disliked the the back 1/2’s (styling wise) from the C4 through the C6. And the C3 only looks slightly better. I do love a C7 though, I’d take that over a C8, any day, not because of nostalgia, and FR vs MR, but just because it looks cooler IMO. And I love to kick the ass end around corners.
But I do get it, being your old man’s car and all, I’d still have a blast driving it. And I don’t know if your old man was a huge corvette fan (that would play a huge factor for me at least) or anything, but it’s still almost too new for me to have any sentimental feelings/attachments towards it. Hell my old man just sold his flat fender that has been in the family longer than me. I kicked around buying it till I heard the price he was asking. My brother bought it though so at least it’s still in the family
You know for a long time I have always said that Chevrolet was badly missing the mark on design

I don’t know what to think about the new one- It looks different at every angle and in every color-

I think for a long time they definitely tried to pay homage to the original concept- Even in the C6 you can see the fenders sticking up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mumblewood
If its not your kind of car, sell it. When we die, our "treasures" become "stuff" that somebody else has to contend with. Goddess help our daughter and/or granddaughter - we have a house FULL of "stuff".

Dad liked stuff. The Vette was a lark purchase in my opinion.

You know the most striking thing of the whole situation was when I was leaving the hospital the night they transferred him to the rehab facility- he had a few things in a walmart bag

It became amazingly clear to me that all the “stuff” doesn’t matter, and wasn’t needed. It also made me realize despite all the infrastructure mankind has created that gives us a sense of security, we are all one breath from the next step.

If its not your kind of car, sell it. When we die, our "treasures" become "stuff" that somebody else has to contend with. Goddess help our daughter and/or granddaughter - we have a house FULL of "stuff".

I’m not trying to sound drab or all depressing but this is just one amazing illusion that we have created...and sustain. And it’s not all bad. It just isn’t everything we think it is when things get down to the nitty-gritty.

That night was probably one the most humbling experiences I’ve ever had. I squalled.

I think I knew deep inside things were not going the direction they needed to also.

Reactions: John Cooper
I’ll have a damage report tonight.

Score:

Armadillo- 1

Andy and Chevrolet- 0

I get it. I was a car guy before I was a Jeep guy but if my dad leaves me a Subaru I can't guarantee it won't be sold before the funeral. It's a resource and if it's not the resource you need or want, then set it free in exchange for a better one. If it wasn't what I wanted, I'd probably sell it and use the funds to get something I could make memories out of with my own kids, then it's special for 3 generations.

I’ll have a damage report tonight.

Score:

Armadillo- 1

Andy and Chevrolet- 0

That stinks, Andy. Guess the only thing worse than hitting an armadillo would’ve been if you would’ve hit a duck 😂

I get it. I was a car guy before I was a Jeep guy but if my dad leaves me a Subaru I can't guarantee it won't be sold before the funeral. It's a resource and if it's not the resource you need or want, then set it free in exchange for a better one. If it wasn't what I wanted, I'd probably sell it and use the funds to get something I could make memories out of with my own kids, then it's special for 3 generations.

It seemed kind of fun at first- I think I lost my sense of humor about it Saturday evening-

My dad was always pretty practical- If something wasn’t working get it behind you and move on. He sure didn’t go for high maintenance- He could make a paintbrush last 25 years-

At the same time I think he knew that his time was drawing near and he wanted to enjoy it best he could.

That stinks, Andy. Guess the only thing worse than hitting an armadillo would’ve been if you would’ve hit a duck 😂

Well if it was a duck happened to be on the dash of the jeep that would be real bad- Unless it was John Cooper’s jeep. That would be sorta fun.

• Haha
My dad was always pretty practical- If something wasn’t working get it behind you and move on. He sure didn’t go for high maintenance- He could make a paintbrush last 25 years-
Sounds a lot like me. Obviously, he wasn't on board with our current throw away society!