Reverse Build (lowering from lift)

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I am going through the 03 TJ and seek sage advice and wisdom. It has two previous liftsThe front springs appear to be 15 inches and the rear 11. I assume that is a 3" suspension lift. It also has 2" spacers on top of what appears to be original body mounts. It has wide 33" tires in which the rims are designed to space the tires out. I wish to get rid of the body lift as my off roading will be mild. I know I will have to take the additional gas filler extension out (new parts ordered) and replace the old hose, remove and replace the body mounts extensions with OEM (new parts ordered), replace the shocks for a 3" lift versions (new parts ordered) and I do not know if these engine mounts are original? (see pics). I assume I will have to order new sway bar arms, what am I missing? Are those engine mounts lifted or OEM? It is easier to mount my horse than it is this jeep, and want to restore. Thanks in advance or opinions, wisdom and answers.
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG

So, you have a bunch going on. The motor mounts look factory, and no blocks that those pics show. Removing a 2" body lift will require new mounts, checking fan shroud clearance, probably adjustments to shift linkages. The fuel filler filler hose can be likely shortened if a factory style rubber.

Hold off on shocks until you cycle the suspension and see what you need. The front track bar has been redrilled which is a bad idea. Get an adjustable and do it correctly. The sway bar links are toast. The bump stops, or lack thereof, need attention especially if you are going to run 33's on only 3" of lift.

Removing a 2" body lift will require new mounts, .
Nope, just needs to remove the lift pucks off the top of the factory mounts, get a set of factory bolts and it's good to go. He'll likely need a set of factory snubbers under the corners of the grill, but that's it.

IMG_2190.JPG
This pix is more for your amusement than mine. Check out the control arm bushing shim. Tell me, are upper and lower bushings all the same size? I'll replace all of them.
IMG_2190.JPG

I just ordered all new bushings last night from Rockauto. These are the part numbers, which show the lowers are the same for front and rear, but does show two different part numbers for front and rear uppers...

ACDELCO 45G8088 {#89048959} (Daily Driver) Professional
Front Upper
ACDELCO 45G8088
close12_1.gif

45G8088_Primary__ra_t.jpg

45G8088_Primary__ra_t.jpg

ACDELCO 45G9089 {#45G11091, 88912666, 89048970} (Daily Driver) Professional
FitsFront Lower
OrRear Lower
ACDELCO 45G9089
close12_1.gif

45G9089_Primary__ra_t.jpg

45G9089_Primary__ra_t.jpg

ACDELCO 45G8073 {#88996754} (Daily Driver) Professional
Rear Upper
ACDELCO 45G8073
close12_1.gif

45G8073_Primary__ra_t.jpg

45G8073_Primary__ra_t.jpg

Thanks. I have my tinkering cut out for me. I get my mail at the navy base, I think there is going to be a a whole Camry full of parts coming for me.

Reactions: Squatch