Reverse click drill chuck to lock?

I've had bits slip in the chuck before so I'm curious if this solves it. Anyone have experience?

Sounds like you need a bigger drill chuck

IMG_20211219_125204635_HDR.jpg

On a serious note, it seems to work on my 20v brushless DeWalt at work. I don't know if keyless drill chucks like you find on a hand drill are based on the same idea as a real keyless like an Albrecht, rigid supreme, etc. Those are designed with the jaws angled slightly off of centerline compared to a normal keyed chuck. It's like that so when it clamps on a drill the jaws get forced back towards centerline and sort of wedged in place, and the more force there is put on the jaws, like from drilling, the tighter they grip until they can't anymore. It may be why you might've heard someone say to really snap the chuck down fast when grabbing a drill, and it's why they also don't work worth a shit spinning in reverse.

So I guess it's possible that turning the chuck on the drill backwards to the click does something to load the jaws? Idk, all the chucks that come on drills suck anyways, especially this damn DeWalt. Let that thing slip in your hands for even a second while tightening and you're gonna get a friction burn, maybe a blister or two if you do it twice...

Reactions: toximus
I've used several of these ratcheting chucks and never once have I come to the conclusion that backing off the collar to where it releases from the racheting mechanism somehow locks or adds additional tightening to the chuck jaws.

Here is an explanation from AvE showing what is really happening with the clicks and release inside the chuck. It isn't at all what your mom is reading on Facebook.

Last edited:
Here's another showing that a reverse click isn't tightening the chuck.

I was ready to call bullshit till I watched the first video. Then watched the next two. Now I gotta go out to the garage at 5:46am to check this out! I’m retired and the only thing that should get me up at this hour is to pee and get more coffee.
Think I’ll just call “bullshit” till the sun comes up and warms my garage a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and rasband
I was ready to call bullshit till I watched the first video. Then watched the next two. Now I gotta go out to the garage at 5:46am to check this out! I’m retired and the only thing that should get me up at this hour is to pee and get more coffee.
Think I’ll just call “bullshit” till the sun comes up and warms my garage a bit.

And?

I have a Milwaukee with a keyless chuck - but not a ratcheting version. Its horrid, comes loose all the time - its not like the Makitas that I've used.