Revisions or Updates to FSMs?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm very interested in this post by @RaymondT. Not in the details, but just in the fact that there are apparently 'revised' versions of FSMs for any given year.

Does anyone here know where the "revised" instructions in his screenshots come from? I compared them to my hard-copy 97 FSM and sure enough, they are different. So did Jeep publish a collection of revisions or updates to their original FSMs at some point? Or did @RaymondT just find these instructions in a later edition FSM, like a 2003 instead of the original 97?

Just makes me wonder where else I should be looking to ensure that my FSM is giving me the right advice.

———

Update: I bought a 97 FSM "Supplement" off eBay. Indeed, it's a collection of updated sections from the original FSM. So yes, these 'updates' or 'revisions' can be found in the supplements for each year's FSM. Unfortunately, my supplement didn't include the torquing specs that @RaymondT posted, so maybe he got his from a supplement of a 98 or 99.

Update: RaymondT replied and explained that it came from a Technical Service Bulletin.

Last edited:
Hmm, I see that there exists a "Factory Service Manual Supplement", like this.

Anyone know if this "Supplement" is an update to the original, or does it just include some extra, less-often needed information that wasn't worth including in the main FSM?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'm sorry but I haven't even the slightest clue about revised FSMs. I would honestly be shocked if they were revising the FSM of a vehicle that most dealerships won't even touch anymore.

I'm sorry but I haven't even the slightest clue about revised FSMs. I would honestly be shocked if they were revising the FSM of a vehicle that most dealerships won't even touch anymore.

Thanks. Yea, I'd just like to know where @RaymondT got the "revised" instructions, because it makes me wonder if a revised version came out a few years after the original, or something.

Thanks. Yea, I'd just like to know where @RaymondT got the "revised" instructions, because it makes me wonder if a revised version came out a few years after the original, or something.
Maybe he will chime in because I know nothing about it.

Update: I bought a 97 FSM "Supplement" off eBay. Indeed, it's a collection of updated sections from the original FSM. So yes, these 'updates' or 'revisions' can be found in the supplements for each year's FSM.

Unfortunately, my supplement didn't include the torquing specs that @RaymondT posted, so maybe he got his from a supplement of a 98 or 99.