Revolution USA Made Front Axle Shaft Installation

Ultimately, I did end up having to add washers for the hydro assist, but even with those washers, I would still have had to grind a good amount.
That reminded me of the steering install we did the other day. Rig was running a "LCG" set up with 37's. Owner was pretty proud of that fact. Steering was so limited that we had to destroke the cylinder by 1/2". Never seen or done that before.

If you replace the bolts with Grade 10.9 M12 x 80mm hex bolts (not flange bolts or heavy hex), no grinding of bolt heads is required, at least with BMB knuckles.
Part number 91310A736 on McMaster-Carr; $12 for a set of 10.
I prefer ARP's version but they aren't that cheap.

https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail-b.php?RecordID=2982

Reactions: Steel City 06
It would be a way to solve a problem that neither one of us would pursue.

On tight forest trails I wouldn't mind tighter steering and I have thought about redoing my steering.

Actually after measuring my steering angle explains some of the steering limitation I'm feeling. Front digs with the Atlas I'm sure will help, but I want to see if I can figure out a way to get another 10 degrees out of it.

@mrblaine Do you think 10* would be a noticeable improvement? I'd have to do a curved track bar and drag links to get around the ring gear (or add bumpstop).

@mrblaine Do you think 10* would be a noticeable improvement? I'd have to do a curved track bar and drag links to get around the ring gear (or add bumpstop).
Have you been on the trails and said- "If I just had 10 degrees more steering right now, I'd be a fucking hero". That answer determines if it is worthwhile.

On tight forest trails I wouldn't mind tighter steering and I have thought about redoing my steering.

Actually after measuring my steering angle explains some of the steering limitation I'm feeling. Front digs with the Atlas I'm sure will help, but I want to see if I can figure out a way to get another 10 degrees out of it.
Once you do a front dig with an Atlas, you pretty much ignore what steering angle you have.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Have you been on the trails and said- "If I just had 10 degrees more steering right now, I'd be a fucking hero". That answer determines if it is worthwhile.

I've been on trails that a 2dr JK was able to make the turns and I had to back up and reset. It's always some stupid turn after an obstacle. I don't know if 10* is the difference, but if I could make those turns I'd be a hero.

I've been on trails that a 2dr JK was able to make the turns and I had to back up and reset. It's always some stupid turn after an obstacle. I don't know if 10* is the difference, but if I could make those turns I'd be a hero.
Do you lose points on your man card if you have to back up and reset?

Once you do a front dig with an Atlas, you pretty much ignore what steering angle you have.

I was thinking if I'm waiting much longer on the Atlas I'd redo the steering in the meantime while I have room to work. But if that's the case then I won't worry about it until after the swap.

I fixed it for you and I thought we went over this?
Well no bluetooth brakes :)

For trail turns I see hand brake cutters work quite well, probably not for high traction rock turns like we discussed. The bar is just to turn better than JKs though.

How does mine get more?

I was wondering that too and have a couple of thoughts:

1) Which steering gear are you using? Mine is an late model OEM 05.
2) Where did you position your stick on the tire? I leveled mine each time on the center of the tire.

I was wondering that too and have a couple of thoughts:

1) Which steering gear are you using? Mine is an late model OEM 05.
2) Where did you position your stick on the tire? I leveled mine each time on the center of the tire.

Mercedes box like yours. I eyeballed level each time. But I can't imagine any error on my setup adding up to 3-5° difference.

Mercedes box like yours. I eyeballed level each time. But I can't imagine any error on my setup adding up to 3-5° difference.

I have no idea. Must be your weird TJ giving weird measurements? Did you ever figure out why you were getting different measurements than everyone else in the rear?

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
I have no idea. Must be your weird TJ giving weird measurements? Did you ever figure out why you were getting different measurements than everyone else in the rear?
Remind what those were. There might be some odd things going on with the front.