RGA Discovery shafts back in stock, still no R&P gears & no ETA

Jerry Bransford

Staff
Staff Member
Supporting Member
FYI Revolution Axle & Gear just posted up on FB that they finally have Discovery axle shafts back in stock for TJs (and JKs) in stock.

P.S. On the other hand, my contact there just confirmed to me there is no ETA on their when R&P gears will be back in stock. He was only half-joking when he said they almost need to hire someone just to answer the phones for people asking when gears will be back in stock.

I have people waiting for gears and it's driving me nuts.
I'm waiting for gears! I got some revolution 4.88s put in like 4k miles ago and they're whining so LOUD! My mechanic said he would swap them out for free but... there are none!
for anyone reading, can I just keep driving on them until they kapoot and they won't break anything else or should I stop driving on it completely?

I'm waiting for gears! I got some revolution 4.88s put in like 4k miles ago and they're whining so LOUD! My mechanic said he would swap them out for free but... there are none!
for anyone reading, can I just keep driving on them until they kapoot and they won't break anything else or should I stop driving on it completely?
Bad install or bad break-in? What gear lube did your installer use, conventional or synthetic?

I have people waiting for gears and it's driving me nuts.
Bummer, but where are the R&P's mfg. and why the delay? I wonder how long we can blame EVERYTHING on Covid.
I get it to a point if stuff is made in China, but if they're made here what's the problem?

Reactions: ColoJeep
Bummer, but where are the R&P's mfg. and why the delay? I wonder how long we can blame EVERYTHING on Covid.
I get it to a point if stuff is made in China, but if they're made here what's the problem?
Not in China, but what I heard from other post on here is that they're made in Korea. At least the Revolution R&Ps are I believe.

Not in China, but what I heard from other post on here is that they're made in Korea. At least the Revolution R&Ps are I believe.
Yes, RGA's R&P gears are made for them by Circle K in S. Korea. Most agree Circle K is the best aftermarket manufacturer of R&P gears.

South Korea and Chinavirus

some countries are still in lockdowns

I believe Dana is the only USA made gear manufacturer.

Yes, RGA's R&P gears are made for them by Circle K in S. Korea. Most agree Circle K is the best aftermarket manufacturer of R&P gears.
Thanks Jerry good to know. I'm now in the market for a set of revolution gears, but everywhere I see they're sold out or on backorder. I saw you mention about 4low parts having them on another post. Do you know by any chance if they have a set of 4.88 for a Dana 30/44?

I ordered Dana 30 4.88 gears back in April and finally received them last week. I'm sure they were annoyed by my phone calls asking for updates but I received practically no info on them for at least a month after I ordered. No word of them being out of stock when I ordered either. Glad I have them now though.

I may have to pick up a set of the discoveries.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks Jerry good to know. I'm now in the market for a set of revolution gears, but everywhere I see they're sold out or on backorder. I saw you mention about 4low parts having them on another post. Do you know by any chance if they have a set of 4.88 for a Dana 30/44?
They're out of stock too.

Used conventional, I honestly think it might have been a bad break in on my part. Possibility is there, but when I took it in for it's oil change he said the pattern looked fine so I'm not sure which it was.
With a conventional gear lube having been used as is required during the break-in and a good pattern on the gears, it sounds like the problem was caused by a bad break-in procedure. Driving too long, too fast, or too hard before they're broken in will get new gears so hot that it ruins them. Take it easy and follow the break-in instructions at https://www.revolutiongear.com/ring_and_pinion_break_procedure

Good luck with the next set of gears.

Reactions: lulzpwndyah
With a conventional gear lube having been used as is required during the break-in and a good pattern on the gears, it sounds like the problem was caused by a bad break-in procedure. Driving too long, too fast, or too hard before they're broken in will get new gears so hot that it ruins them. Take it easy and follow the break-in instructions at https://www.revolutiongear.com/ring_and_pinion_break_procedure

Good luck with the next set of gears.
I think it was the long drive possibly. I did LA to Big bear the day after the install, which now I know is a big no no haha but live and learn.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Company I work for imports a lot of product from Asia. Part of the problem right now is shipping. It used to cost us around 2,500 to ship a container, now the cost is 10k!! Our freight forwarder is telling us many companies are just choosing not to sell and will wait for freight to come back down. Also why you’re seeing costs go up on a lot of products. Shipping right now is ridiculous. And it doesn’t look like it’s getting better anytime soon.