Rick From South Carolina

TJRick

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone!

My name is Rick, and I am from Florence, South Carolina. I purchased my 1998 Jeep Wrangler (Sport) in 1999 and it has been my daily driver for most of those years. I drove this Jeep to college, dated my Wife in it, and we drove 6 hours away to the mountains on our honeymoon in it. I have way too many memories in this Jeep to ever part with it. It is a BIG part of my personality and my friends and family associate me with this Jeep. It feels like my "time machine" in that it is my happy place where I can escape on my own and listen to my favorite music whenever I want!

My Jeep has the 4.0 I-6 engine and the 3-speed automatic transmission. It currently has 150K miles and still runs great! It has a Black exterior with Mist Gray interior with factory hard top and doors. I am running 32" tires on a 2" suspension lift with 4.10 gears and Detroit Truetracks front and rear:

Interior-3.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG0295.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG0294.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking TJ, and awesome story too!

I'd make them bury that thing with you in the ground ;)

Nice story.. sums up a lot of feelings most of us have on the forum.. good looking Jeep!!

It's interesting how you can get a different perspective of something you see every single day by looking at the same thing in a picture.

For example, I just realized how lame the "Trail Rated" badge looks that I put on my Jeep a few years ago, and I have since removed it. Looking at a couple of more, I see a few more changes I may make. To start with, I think my Jeep might look better with an extra inch of clearance for the tires, and I don't like how they sick out past my fenders. And perhaps the JEEP fog light covers and the WRANGLER half-plate (that was a Christmas gift from my wife many years ago) may be a bit much in the front.

What do you think?

thumbnail_KIMG0307.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG0308.jpg

thumbnail_KIMG0310.jpg

Last edited:
I like that Wrangler half plate and would leave it myself. The fog light covers are ok, but I would probably paint over them so they were solid black or more than likely remove them all together.

You could always find wider flares. I don't know how much wider you need, but Rubicon and Sahara flares are about 1 inch wider than the regular flares. I put Rubicon flares on mine. Some of the really wide 5 and 6 inch flares run the risk of looking like an airplane if they stick further than your tires. But that all depends on your wheel backspacing.

You could always find wider flares. I don't know how much wider you need, but Rubicon and Sahara flares are about 1 inch wider than the regular flares. I put Rubicon flares on mine. Some of the really wide 5 and 6 inch flares run the risk of looking like an airplane if they stick further than your tires. But that all depends on your wheel backspacing.

Actually, those are the OEM Mopar Rubicon style fender flares on it right now. I don't want anything wider than that for the reasons you mentioned. I just need some wheels with better backspacing. Those are 3.75". It's funny, but I have had those wheels on it since 2002, and I used to think it looked good like that. But now I am beginning to think it looks a bit silly, and certainly not functional.

I think I am going to go with a set of OEM painted (silver) Moab wheels, along with 265 75/R 16" tires. They wouldn't stick out and I think they would look great on my Jeep.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Actually, those are the OEM Mopar Rubicon style fender flares on it right now. I don't want anything wider than that for the reasons you mentioned. I just need some wheels with better backspacing. Those are 3.75". It's funny, but I have had those wheels on it since 2002, and I used to think it looked good like that. But now I am beginning to think it looks a bit silly, and certainly not functional.

I think I am going to go with a set of OEM painted (silver) Moab wheels, along with 265 75/R 16" tires. They wouldn't stick out and I think they would look great on my Jeep.

Mine are 3.75 too. With 31x10.50’s.