Tennessee Riding For A Soldier's Child at AOP

@Chris I could not figure out how to add surrounding states. Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky and Mississippi would be good. Thanks.
I wish there was a way to add more than one, unfortunately there’s not. You could always post this a few more times for the missing states.

Reactions: Brianj5600
@Brianj5600 you going to this?

My son and I are departing first thing Monday, Mar 14 for a spring break backpacking trip so I am not sure I want to "bring this up" to my wife, but I have done stupid stuff before, so....... Either way, I will spread the word here in Memphis.

Reactions: Brianj5600
@Brianj5600 you going to this?

My son and I are departing first thing Monday, Mar 14 for a spring break backpacking trip so I am not sure I want to "bring this up" to my wife, but I have done stupid stuff before, so....... Either way, I will spread the word here in Memphis.

I will be there. This would be a good event for new to off road people.

Reactions: gasiorv
Lots of warm clothes!

This is from SFWDA, Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, below. They will not turn you away if you don't have everything. My first event I had no idea what to bring and was not at all prepared. A hand held FRS/GMRS radio is handy. There are a few threads on this forum discussing radios. Do you have recovery points front and rear?

Need to Know about Guided Trail Riding​

ewducation_videos?format=750w.png

Comprehensive Educational Video Series Available Online
  • Tread Lightly! principles will be observed at all times.
  • Your welcome to ride along on and participate in as many guided trail rides as you wish.
  • Trial Routes have been carefully pre-determined and should be suitable for rigs based on the categories described of each group.
  • Each group will have a brief drivers meeting before departure to become acclimated with the planned route and debrief on all safety, and communications, along with best practices when riding in groups.
  • CB Radios and/or FRS radios are suggested but not required. We encourage good radio communication and groups will be on a designated channel.
  • Excursion Rides are approximately 4-5 hours long.
  • Every Guided Route will include at minimum One Trail Guide and One Tail Gunner.
  • Our goal is to depart each guided trip with no more than approximately 15 rigs per total. We can and will split rides into multiple groups to accommodate everyone and the trail system itself for maximum efficiency.
  • A brief drivers meeting with all participants will commence 15 minutes before each scheduled departure time. You must arrive on time!
  • In the South rain is a weather factor which can elevate the difficulty rating of some trails as much as one whole level higher on average.
  • While each route category has a few different levels of basic requirements, most would benefit from use of some additional suggested equipment. While you want to be prepared you also don't be to be overloaded.
  • CB Radio, Tool Kit, Spare Tire, Tire Patch Kit, and some common spare parts are all suggested equipment to have on-board.
  • May we suggest our series of Educational Videos aimed at assisting you in coming prepared and making the most out of your trip for both yourself and everyone else in your group. Topics in our Education Series include "What to bring on a One Day Trail Ride", Group Trail Riding Etiquette, How to Tread Lightly, and much more.

Easy+Moderate+Trails+Group?format=300w.png

Easy Moderate Trails Group

Easy Moderate Trail Routes​

Required Safety Equipment​

• Safety Belts
  • First Aid Kit
  • Fire Extingusher
  • Secure Battery

Required OHV Equipment​

• Transfer Case
  • All Terrain Tires
  • Recovery Points
Everyday rigs and highly encouraged to join. Routes will be mostly easier trails, and only those which everyone in the group can traverse.
Easy+Moderate+Routes?format=500w.jpg

Advanced+Moderate+Trails+Group?format=300w.png

Advanced Moderate Trail Group

Advanced Moderate Trail Routes​

Minimum
Equipment

• All Basic Safety & OHV Equipment As Required of Easy Moderate Tralls

Advanced OHV EQUIPMENT

• Winch
  • Lockers
  • Recovery Gear
  • Roll Cage
This group will tackle more challenging terrain. Routes will be more challenging, but still capable of everyone in the group. Body damage may be possible, and a roll cage is required.

Lots of warm clothes!

This is from SFWDA, Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, below. They will not turn you away if you don't have everything. My first event I had no idea what to bring and was not at all prepared. A hand held FRS/GMRS radio is handy. There are a few threads on this forum discussing radios. Do you have recovery points front and rear?
Yeah I've got the stock hooks on the front bumper and rear stock hook on the frame. I've got a Fire extinguisher and FAK. I do have a Beofeng and my license for it. Securing the battery I'm not sure about, its stock in there but I could probably tie it down with paracord if need be. My big concerns were that I didn't have a winch or kinetic rope or anything like that

Yeah I've got the stock hooks on the front bumper and rear stock hook on the frame. I've got a Fire extinguisher and FAK. I do have a Beofeng and my license for it. Securing the battery I'm not sure about, its stock in there but I could probably tie it down with paracord if need be. My big concerns were that I didn't have a winch or kinetic rope or anything like that
You can buy a tow strap at tractor supply, or Amazon. Good to have at least something.

AOP is no joke. If you’re new to wheeling, stick to the main paths.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I've helped with beginner rides at AOP and there is some fun and not intimidating. Usually there are well equipped and extra more experienced jeeps in the group. The rain/snow could make it difficult though.