Rim and tire sizes?

Marc L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just bought a 2002 Wrangler X it has a 2-1/2 lift on it. I would like to get the widest tire set-up for it with it not sticking out more than 1-2 inches from the fenders. Do any of you have an idea what works as far a rim sizes back spacing etc? I have attached a photo of what it has now.
Thanks Marc.

18739914_10154841741811028_4932778923097038317_n.jpg

It depends on what size tire you want to go with. 31", 32", 33", etc. That's going to be part of it, but the other part will be going with a rim that has the correct backspacing for that tire.

A very common backspace for aftermarket wheels that fit well is 3.75".

Reactions: Marc L
It depends on what size tire you want to go with. 31", 32", 33", etc. That's going to be part of it, but the other part will be going with a rim that has the correct backspacing for that tire.

A very common backspace for aftermarket wheels that fit well is 3.75".

Thank you. Right now they are 32" would like to keep there as I will be towing behind the Motor home.

Reactions: cmpugh7
You should be fine with a wheel that is about 3.75" backspace give or take .25". That won't push them out past the fender flares.

15x8" rim,
5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern,
hub-centric wheel if you can find it,
3-3/4" to 4-1/4" backspacing.

32x11.50R15 tire in load range "C"
Inflate to 26 psi to start

Cycle the suspension and check for adequate bump stops, adjust accordingly.

Be aware that a 32" tire usually doesn't fit on the stock tire carrier. There may be interference with the bumper and the third brake light.

5 tire rotation on each oil change

Torque the lug nuts to 95 ft-lbs. (Factory spec is 90 to 130 ft-lbs, reduce by 10% if you use anti-seize) I use anti-seize and torque to 90 ft-lbs.

Check your wheel studs periodically, they do break and it's always very exciting when a wheel comes off.

Depending on your engine, transmission and axle gear ratio and where you drive a 32" tire could have you pulling your hair out, or it could be just barely tolerable. It may be advisable to budget for a gear change.

Last edited:
15x8" rim,
5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern,
hub-centric wheel if you can find it,
3-3/4" to 4-1/4" backspacing.

32x11.50R15 tire in load range "C"
Inflate to 26 psi to start

Cycle the suspension and check for adequate bump stops, adjust accordingly.

Be aware that a 32" tire usually doesn't fit on the stock tire carrier. There may be interference with the bumper and the third brake light.

5 tire rotation on each oil change

Torque the lug nuts to 90 ft-lbs. (Factory spec is 90 to 130 ft-lbs, reduce by 10% if you use anti-seize) I use anti-seize and torque to 90 ft-plbs.

Check your wheel studs periodically, they do break and it's always very exciting when a wheel comes off.

Depending on your engine, transmission and axle gear ratio and where you drive a 32" tire may have you pulling your hair out, or it may be just barely tolerable. It may be advisable to budget for a gear change.

Thank you!!

Reactions: StG58
Now that I'm looking at both pics, you can tell in the first pick with the hardtop that the tires are worn quite a bit. In the 2nd pic, the 32's were pretty new.

Reactions: StG58
What size lift is on your Jeep?
It's @bobthetj03's TJ. He has a small(ish) lift, but I don't remember how much or who the manufacturer is. Nice setup though, huh?

Edited to add: @Marc Lecoq, I went to bobthetj03's profile page to look that information up, and he has a 2-1/2" OME lift. I thought that was the case...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc L