How important is wheel protection in a tire?

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I didn't realize this but I saw a guy in a local facebook group say he'd sworn off BFG tires for his Jeep because they'd removed the rim protection from the inner sidewall/bead area. Come to think of it, I seem to remember my early sets of K02s and KM2's having it, but my current KO2s definitely do not.

From zooming in on photos, it seems like most offroad tires still have this feature, so did BFG eliminate it hoping no one would notice or is it one of those things that doesn't really matter much on a tire with 9"+ inches of sidewall? It's a little bit concerning being that I'm in Colorado and a lot of my wheeling is on rocks.

Trying to decide on my next set of tires...and whether to go with another set of KO2s or a light mud terrain, like the KM3's or Firestone Destination MT's. I like that the Toyo M/T comes in a 33x10.5 but they're among the heaviest size for size...64lbs vs 56 for a 10.5 KM3 and heavier even than most of the 33x12.5s.

I’ve had about a dozen sets of Ko’s and if I had one complaint (I didn't) it would be the amount of times debris was caught between the rim protector and the rim. My current set of KM3’s doesn’t have them and I don’t miss them

If some debris were trying to get to your rim do you really think that tiny little bit of rubber would stop it? I think they were only meant for a bit of cushion when parking against a curb. And they likely wouldn't do much for that scenario either.

If some debris were trying to get to your rim do you really think that tiny little bit of rubber would stop it? I think they were only meant for a bit of cushion when parking against a curb. And they likely wouldn't do much for that scenario either.

Well, yes I can see how a properly engineered extra bit of rubber could help spread the forces from the edge of a rock over larger arc of the rim perimeter and prevent damage that might have occurred without it. Or, aired down might put some rubber between the rim and a rock that might not otherwise be there.

So I guess the question boils down to whether the rim protectors offered on other tires are engineered to provide any actual benefit and whether that benefit is manifest in actual usage. My own perception (which admittedly is limited to what I see on the trails, forums, social media and YouTube) is that the KM2/KM3 has a lower market share than the KM2 did 10 years ago and wondered if this was at all related.

I've had nothing but BFGs on my 4x4s since about 2008 and I like them, but felt like doing some research and see what else is out there before just doing what I've always done.

Well, yes I can see how a properly engineered extra bit of rubber could help spread the forces from the edge of a rock over larger arc of the rim perimeter and prevent damage that might have occurred without it. Or, aired down might put some rubber between the rim and a rock that might not otherwise be there.
You need to get out more.

• Haha
Reactions: il buono
You need to get out more.
You're right, I do. I took a job working from home 6 weeks ago and my TJ has been down for at least that long for an SYE install because I can barely find time to work on it, so I'm rattling around in my own head over thinking things as I tend to do when I get cabin fever.

Let me give you a couple examples. Here’s my KM2’s, @Westtown Willy KM3’s(both on 15x8’s) and my KO2’s on a set of 17x9’s. Now compare those to the Falken MT’s. The Falken’s seem to be the only thing with any “extra protection”
58295EE9-7AAD-4291-83AE-1CA864648E23.jpeg
33C07E88-106F-4C65-89E7-7D58EE6DF5C5.jpeg
44E87AE4-322C-44E6-AB94-206AF6AC7804.jpeg

1578778833713.jpeg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
You're right, I do. I took a job working from home 6 weeks ago and my TJ has been down for at least that long for an SYE install because I can barely find time to work on it, so I'm rattling around in my own head over thinking things as I tend to do when I get cabin fever.
Whether or not a tire has some extra rubber around the edge of the rim is of zero consequence. If it does have some, that will protect the rim exactly as much as a tire that doesn't. The tire always loses when it comes to rocks and rims, always.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low