RINC's 1st Jeep

Ready for the funds to buy a winch
View attachment 208753

Pulled the front swaybar. Drives good. Seat of the pants feel, I don't feel a difference with no swaybar. I have ordered front and rear Antirocks to address that area. What's left is the gorilla in the room,as they say. Axles and suspension.

Axles, man I want so mush stuff that I cant afford right now. Will take time to build up the funds to buy want I want for the axles and suspension. I want to do it right the first time. My Dana 30 and Dana 35 need upgrades. Dana 44 front and rear at least. Lockers ? Heck, I don't know what lockers to with. So many choices. I aint ever been down this road to know yet what style/type of locker I prefer.

Must do is add the Rubicon rockers I bought.
View attachment 208758
What size tires are you planning on running? Your Dana 30/35 can be made to run 35s no problem. I’m running the Dana 30/35 combo with 35” tires and it’s been great. I just made sure to get chromoly axle shafts up front and a super 35 kit in the rear. If you can find a good deal on a Dana 44 rear then go for it but if not then no shame in a super 35 kit.

As far as lockers go I really like lunchbox lockers up front. I got my Spartan on marketplace for $75. It’s ok but my dads lock-right is better behaved on the street. Basically invisible. I think it’s the “no slip” one that doesn’t click.

In the rear I would go selectable since you have a manual. I have a Detroit in the rear and from what I can tell it is harder on the synchros and can be annoying on the street. If I were to do it again I’d go Eaton E locker in the rear.

My thoughts are going with Dana 44 front and rear.

After seeing y'all tackle the Elvis trail, I am looking to build it up around 35" tyres.

I have to decide to upgrade my Dana 30/Dana 35 or go Dana 44 front/rear. Both options will take till next summer to save the funds.

Talking to you guys, our terrain will take 35" tyres. I getting me mind around the path to get it to run the lines y'all are going.

I am sponge. Trying to absorb all the info given/have read on this here forums.

Reactions: starkey480
My thoughts are going with Dana 44 front and rear.

After seeing y'all tackle the Elvis trail, I am looking to build it up around 35" tyres.

I have to decide to upgrade my Dana 30/Dana 35 or go Dana 44 front/rear. Both options will take till next summer to save the funds.

Talking to you guys, our terrain will take 35" tyres. I getting me mind around the path to get it to run the lines y'all are going.

I am sponge. Trying to absorb all the info given/have read on this here forums.
Gotcha. The Dana 44 front isn’t much different than the Dana 30. Same tubes, same Cs, same ball joints, same knuckles. Only difference is 30 spline axle shafts and thicker stronger gears. But, most people aren’t breaking gears so for all intents and purposes a Dana 30 with upgraded 30 spline shafts serves the same purpose as a Dana 44 front.

Gotcha. The Dana 44 front isn’t much different than the Dana 30. Same tubes, same Cs, same ball joints, same knuckles. Only difference is 30 spline axle shafts and thicker stronger gears. But, most people aren’t breaking gears so for all intents and purposes a Dana 30 with upgraded 30 spline shafts serves the same purpose as a Dana 44 front.

OK, pondering.

I may last a good while going with an upgraded Dana 30,

And considering I watched at least two different used (all stock) TJ Dana 44 front axles sell for over $1800 each, you could literally buy and build a D30HP for that much money and likely have some left over!

Heck, depending on your timing and how many snags I run into during my Hemi swap, I will have my D30HP up for grabs soon. It's bolt-in and ready to rock 35"s here in AZ (e-locker, 30-spline shafts, 5.13s)...

And considering I watched at least two different used (all stock) TJ Dana 44 front axles sell for over $1800 each, you could literally buy and build a D30HP for that much money and likely have some left over!

Heck, depending on your timing and how many snags I run into during my Hemi swap, I will have my D30HP up for grabs soon. It's bolt-in and ready to rock 35"s here in AZ (e-locker, 30-spline shafts, 5.13s)...

I got me eye on you Sir.

Another quick note, if you aren’t ready to lock your Dana 35 yet (because that would require upgrading axle shafts as well and a full case locker) just a front locker with an open rear will take you so many more places than open f/r. My dad ran a locked front with an open rear for quite a while and was able to follow along until the trails got really hard and eventually locked the rear. I recommend this locker ideally for the front.
Powertrax 9204302700 No-Slip Traction System (DANA 30, 27 Spline Open) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVQPMGC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

or keep your eye on marketplace for a Spartan, Aussie, or lock right. They all do fine.

Reactions: pc1p and RINC
Another quick note, if you aren’t ready to lock your Dana 35 yet (because that would require upgrading axle shafts as well and a full case locker) just a front locker with an open rear will take you so many more places than open f/r. My dad ran a locked front with an open rear for quite a while and was able to follow along until the trails got really hard and eventually locked the rear. I recommend this locker ideally for the front.
Powertrax 9204302700 No-Slip Traction System (DANA 30, 27 Spline Open) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVQPMGC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

or keep your eye on marketplace for a Spartan, Aussie, or lock right. They all do fine.

Thank You for the info.

One week into my two week vacation and I am bored. I wanna go back to work and earn the money for upgrades.

So I was bored. Walked out to take this pic of what I'll look like down the upgrade trail when/if I'll be towing my rig.
20201208_094225.jpg

Over the last couple days I painted the bumper. Just wiped it off and spayed some satin black rattle can. No primer. My thinking is I'll scrape it up so, why not just touch it up when needed. This will never be a pretty rig so I am not worried to mush about the paint.

I did touch up the frame while the bumper was off.
20210101_112854.jpg
20210101_113111.jpg
20210101_115557.jpg
20210102_132501.jpg

Also got the front Antirock on there.

20210102_115256.jpg

20210102_120145.jpg

20210102_132049.jpg

I have the end links screwed all the way on. I may need to trim them down a hair. I don't have mush up travel right now and I need to get some wood to put under my floor jack. I don't have enough now to raise the front up high enough.