Ring and Pinion Gear Pattern Help

NashvilleTJ

I miss the snow...
Ride of the Month Winner
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm setting up new R&P gears and ARB locker in my high-pinion, reverse-cut, pro-rock 60, and I'd like some input on my last pattern - it the 6th iteration. I'm also posting this on my build thread, but was hoping to get some more feedback. Thanks in advance.

Backlash is about 6.8 thou. Any guidance?

Jeep - R&P 10 (4).JPG

Jeep - R&P 10 (1).JPG

something looks very odd, but i've never messed with a 60 either.
the pattern appears to be crossing the tooth instead of riding along it.

this is pic off my rev cut front 44.

81979748_3323676241038300_1669676482009497600_n.jpg

something looks very odd, but i've never messed with a 60 either.
the pattern appears to be crossing the tooth instead of riding along it.

this is pic off my rev cut front 44.

View attachment 209823
I thought the pattern was strange as well - every pattern I got had that angle to it. I'm new to this, but it does not match any of the pattern guides I have seen. My first attempts had the pinion too deep, and I've slowly pulled pinion race shims to get to this point.

did your gear set give you a starting point?
my Revo gears give a .042 as a suggested start from point for pinion shim.

or

the pinion should be marked for it's optimal depth from center carrier, some MFG's measure from top of the pinion others go off the back side.
i use a straight edge across the strap flats and the depth gauge on my calipers to calculate where to set the pinion to match the mark # and start from there.

Definitely try thinning out the paste with gear oil. I just did this and it works great. Before I thinned it the pattern actually read better on the teeth it was transferring to vs the ones I painted.
That said, I’d say your pinion depth looks great on the coast side and maybe ok on the drive side. The backlash sounds great. I bet the thinned paste will show a good pattern.
Maybe this gear set just has a narrow contact point?

If you haven't, add a few drops of gear oil to the paint and rerun. And add quite a bit of drag with a gloves hand or wrench or something.
Hey Paul - good to talk to you again.

I did not do the oil trick, but I definitely put load on the carrier while doing the latter. I used a board wedged in between the carrier and the case, probably getting 30 or 40 foot pounds of resistance.

Reactions: Wildman
Hey Paul - good to talk to you again.

I did not do the oil trick, but I definitely put load on the carrier while doing the latter. I used a board wedged in between the carrier and the case, probably getting 30 or 40 foot pounds of resistance.

As Paul suggested and as I did in your build thread try thinning it a little and run a pattern again. I think you are DAMN CLOSE or SPOT ON right now with what you have. Once you get your new Dynatrac seal in I'd get everything thread locked and sealed up and call it good. But admittedly it has been a few yeas since I have don't any gear setup.

did your gear set give you a starting point?
my Revo gears give a .042 as a suggested start from point for pinion shim.

or

the pinion should be marked for it's optimal depth from center carrier, some MFG's measure from top of the pinion others go off the back side.
i use a straight edge across the strap flats and the depth gauge on my calipers to calculate where to set the pinion to match the mark # and start from there.
Although I expected to see those markings on the pinion gear, there were none. They are Dana/spicer gears which I got from ECGS. My starting point on the pinion depth was the inner pinion race shim pack from the previous setup.

As Paul suggested and as I did in your build thread try thinning it a little and run a pattern again. I think you are DAMN CLOSE or SPOT ON right now with what you have. Once you get your new Dynatrac seal in I'd get everything thread locked and sealed up and call it good. But admittedly it has been a few yeas since I have don't any gear setup.
I’ll give that a shot this afternoon to see if it looks any different, Rick, but I think I’m at least getting a good representative pattern.

Although I expected to see those markings on the pinion gear, there were none. They are Dana/spicer gears which I got from ECGS. My starting point on the pinion depth was the inner pinion race shim pack from the previous setup.
I don't bother with those markings anymore. I just start with the old ones, or the recommended starts from Dana. This one ended up at .050 pinion depth, the stock gearing was .052

And the oil helps a lot in my experience.

Here's my SD60 I did last week, ARB and Yukon 5.38s. I like a deeper pattern.

IMG_20201209_110854_611.jpg

Definitely try thinning out the paste with gear oil. I just did this and it works great. Before I thinned it the pattern actually read better on the teeth it was transferring to vs the ones I painted.
That said, I’d say your pinion depth looks great on the coast side and maybe ok on the drive side. The backlash sounds great. I bet the thinned paste will show a good pattern.
Maybe this gear set just has a narrow contact point?
Thanks for the feedback. Since this is a reverse cut gear set, my thought is that since the coast side (the concave side of the teeth) is the drive side, having the pattern centered on that side was better. I may have my terms mixed up, but is that a correct assumption?

Reactions: wyorob and Wildman
i don't look at the gooped up teeth i look at the contact transfer just beyond the goop on either side it gives a much better read on whats really contacting where it swipes in and when it releases the tooth.

I described it in more detail in my thread, but this is what I started with - the consensus was that it was too deep - I pulled 6 thou from the pinion race to get to the current pattern.

Jeep - R&P 6 (14).JPG
Jeep - R&P 6 (13).JPG

I don't bother with those markings anymore. I just start with the old ones, or the recommended starts from Dana. This one ended up at .050 pinion depth, the stock gearing was .052

And the oil helps a lot in my experience.

Here's my SD60 I did last week, ARB and Yukon 5.38s. I like a deeper pattern.

View attachment 209845
Thanks Paul - that's more like a pattern I was hoping to see.

That angular contact pattern make me think two cut gears. What PN is on the Spicer box?