Ring and Pinion Gear Pattern Help

NashvilleTJ

I miss the snow...
Ride of the Month Winner
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm setting up a set of 5.38's on a 14 Bolt I'm building over on my build thread. I got a lot of great input here when I did my '60 setup about a month ago, so here I am again hoping for the same.

After five setups ranging from 0 to 30 thou on the pinion carrier shim, here it is at 13 thou and 8 thou backlash.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (34).JPG
Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (35).JPG

@Blackjack and @hosejockey61 were particularly helpful last time.

Assessment?

Thanks in advance.

That is a thick pattern. Looks like it might be running off the crown a little. What happens if you go in a bit?

Here is way deeper from an earlier setup. 0 shim, and 9 thou backlash. To me this looks too deep because of the line in the root on the coast side.

My smallest shim is 10 thou. So right now I can't get between 0 an 10.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (36).JPG
Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (37).JPG

With the choices you have I would go with that .010 and try it with a touch more backlash and see what that looks like.

Reactions: Mrhp
Here is the 10 shim with 6 thou backlash.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (46).JPG
Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (47).JPG

I'll take the backlash up to 10 and see what that does.

Reactions: Blackjack
I always try to set my gears with the competition pattern. That way, as the gears separate under heavy load, the pattern will shift to more of a centered pattern. Just more strength set up that way.

Reactions: pc1p
Once more into the breach. Still at 10 on the shim, with 10 backlash.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (48).JPG
Jeep - 14 Bolt 20 (49).JPG

I think you are good to go with that.
Thanks Blackjack. Does it still look a little shallow? Do you think it would be better still if I could get 3-5 thou deeper?

Also, I did not mention it but the ring gear is shaved 250 thou. Does that change how I should be looking at the pattern?

Thanks Blackjack. Does it still look a little shallow? Do you think it would be better still if I could get 3-5 thou deeper?

Also, I did not mention it but the ring gear is shaved 250 thou. Does that change how I should be looking at the pattern?
I was looking at that pattern thinking it would be nice to be 3 thou deeper but it will still run.

Shaving the gear should make no difference really.

Late to the game again. 2 cut or 5?😂

I think you might be able to go a bit deeper. I am becoming a bigger fan of bracketing to get it dialed in. So many times I thought I have been close to only find I wasn't. With as much time as you have into this, send it deep to make sure you are where you think you are. Plus it's not like you have to take the carrier or over and over😂

I think you might be able to go a bit deeper. I am becoming a bigger fan of bracketing to get it dialed in. So many times I thought I have been close to only find I wasn't. With as much time as you have into this, send it deep to make sure you are where you think you are. Plus it's not like you have to take the carrier or over and over😂
Bracketing works well especially if you do not have an old pinion shim to start off with.

Reactions: hosejockey61

5 cut. The problem with going deeper is that I don’t have a shim smaller than 10. How did the pattern at 0 shim look? To deep?

Bracketing works well especially if you do not have an old pinion shim to start off with.
I do have the original shim, it was 18 thou. Tried that first, and it was shallow. I also tried 30, and that was way shallow.

I do have the original shim, it was 18 thou. Tried that first, and it was shallow. I also tried 30, and that was way shallow.
You aren't making sense or I'm not understanding you clearly...

If you add shims to the pinion it should go deeper. Take away and it's shallower. What you are describing is backwards. What am I missing?

You aren't making sense or I'm not understanding you clearly...

If you add shims to the pinion it should go deeper. Take away and it's shallower. What you are describing is backwards. What am I missing?
It’s a 14 bolt. Shims are between the case and the pinion Carrier. More shims moves the pinion carrier away from the ring gear.