RIPP Performance Coil in '06 Jeep Rubicon

The actual resistance means less than does the ratio between the primary and secondary. Generally speaking a higher winding/resistance ratio between the primary and secondary windings means the coil will put out a higher voltage.
Based on the resistance values you can divide the secondary by the primary. I mistakenly said in my previous post that it was 12:1 for both, however I neglected to add the kilo part of the secondary. It is more like 12000 to 1. 11428:1 for the Viper and 11773:1 for the TJ. Still not sure what that means, but it's interesting. Accurately testing them would require a KV meter to test output of the secondary coil.

I installed the Ripp Superchargers coil kit from Ripp Superchargers (not the K-Suspension Fab kit), and unlike the K-Suspension, it does not have a brace for the bracket.

It worked okay for a while, though it vibrated noticeably. I noted this in my review on their website, but for whatever reason my review has been removed (possibly because I compared it to a competitor's bracket).

Well, it seems that all that vibration has caused cracking of one of two bolt holes. Leaving the bracket secured by one bolt and gravity. I believe this is indeed a design flaw, and that the vibration led to fatigue cracking of the steel.

I just sent a message to the company, and will update if and when they respond.

In the meantime, if you have an unbraced bracket, be sure to inspect it frequently and brace it as much as possible.

20220109_145020.jpg

20220109_145623.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
UPDATE: On my test of the K Suspension Viper Coil pack kit.....

Several months after installing the kit I started receiving misfires on certain cylinders.
While removing the RIPP Supercharger spark plug wires several of the plug wires pulled free of the clip and I found the boots had split causing an arcing to ground. The spark plug clips holding the plug wire to the spark plug were not crimped properly and the split was at a production seam.
Before anyone asks IF I pulled on the plug wire during removal; NO.... I grabbed towards the middle of the boot and wiggled side to side.
I removed the entire kit and reinstalled the factory ignition rail.
Contacted K Suspension early last year and they referred me to the spark plug wire manufacturer.
I have been in touch with the manufacturer several times over the past year by email and phone; I was informed the plug wires are on BACK ORDER due to a lack of materials.
After a year being on " PERMANENT" back order; I am not holding my breath that I will ever receive the replacement plug wires.
The purchase of the kit started out as a test to see if there were any actual or perceived performance gains; there were none.....
I had no intentions of keeping the kit installed so I would say that the problems with the plug wires make this test a failure.

UPDATE: On my test of the K Suspension Viper Coil pack kit.....

Several months after installing the kit I started receiving misfires on certain cylinders.
While removing the RIPP Supercharger spark plug wires several of the plug wires pulled free of the clip and I found the boots had split causing an arcing to ground. The spark plug clips holding the plug wire to the spark plug were not crimped properly and the split was at a production seam.
Before anyone asks IF I pulled on the plug wire during removal; NO.... I grabbed towards the middle of the boot and wiggled side to side.
I removed the entire kit and reinstalled the factory ignition rail.
Contacted K Suspension early last year and they referred me to the spark plug wire manufacturer.
I have been in touch with the manufacturer several times over the past year by email and phone; I was informed the plug wires are on BACK ORDER due to a lack of materials.
After a year being on " PERMANENT" back order; I am not holding my breath that I will ever receive the replacement plug wires.
The purchase of the kit started out as a test to see if there were any actual or perceived performance gains; there were none.....
I had no intentions of keeping the kit installed so I would say that the problems with the plug wires make this test a failure.

I had tested one on the dyno as well, and it yielded zero performance gains. I understand the benefit for some folks who need to change the packaging of the coil rail. My rail cannot be removed without removing my intercooler for example, but for performance it's a wash.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck