Risk Driving on Failing Fuel Pump

Luckily my fuel pump went out at the gas station, unluckily I had just filled up!!!!!

Got it home, tank dropped old pump out and waited on UPS to deliver the new one.

BB was back on the road in 3 days.

If I thought my pump was failing I would change it now, instead of waiting for it to fail!!!!!

I was just going to say: Don't fil the tank all the way up. Fuel pumps love to go out on a completely full tank. The bastards think it's funny.

I just changed my pump this weekend after it dying on the way home last week. A u-hual car hauler was $60, the Delphi pump was $250. and be sure to buy some new fuel lines connections just in case they are brittle and dont want to come off the pump.

Reactions: John Cooper
Chicago has very restrictive gun laws which definitely prevent most people from owning one. But as a backup they have wisely also made murder illegal.

TL;DR - you're completely safe.
Shootings were down in Chicago this past weekend. Only 30 shot and 6 dead. That's down from 4th of July weekend stats of 73 and 11. :unsure:

WTF...where questionable driving on a failing fuel pump turns into WWIII.

Not that I'm contributing to the demise of this topic...but there are many reasons to carry a shovel in a Jeep. Although for larger work I do prefer my backhoe.

Spare fuel pumps, shovels and extra clips are many of the ways I go prepared in my Jeep.

Does anyone make ballistic panels for half doors? =) (Actually pretty easy to make your own...they sell Kevlar matting and you can use it just like fiberglass or carbon fiber.)

-Mac

I'd love to hear how this story plays out. Such drama. If you break down on the highway, maybe you should just hide in the bushes off the road, until the tow truck arrives. Just make sure that you let the tow truck company know that it is a safety precaution. Now, if they ask you to put on your big boy diapers, that is another hurdle. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I'd love to hear how this story plays out. Such drama. If you break down on the highway, maybe you should just hide in the bushes off the road, until the tow truck arrives. Just make sure that you let the tow truck company know that it is a safety precaution. Now, if they ask you to put on your big boy diapers, that is another hurdle. :ROFLMAO:

Going for it with a follower. I'll let the forum know how it goes.

I was once stranded on a highway with a bad fuel pump, had warnings not fun, but it was in front of a gmc dealer and as it was 4:30 pm and rush hour. 4 mechanics ran over and pushed to the dealership. Wife had to drive 50 miles to pick me up .Fixed in 24hrs

110K miles and no issues with fuel pump but this thread is making me think I need a backup... along with a OE radiator...

I can reasonably tuck a fuel pump under my seat. Radiator is a little harder...for things that leak I have some JB weld steel stick...but yeah if I found a Mopar Radiator it would be framed in glass on my garage wall.

-Mac

Life has its risks. Ha.

• Wow