Rivian R1T electric truck

Electric is definitely going to take over the bulk of automobiles. I like the idea, it'll definitely be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Reactions: psrivats
Yeah, it is cool and faster than my R1 motorcycle, but I am old and no way am I paying between 50K and 75K for an offroad vehicle. I mean it is cool as hell and I can't imagine having a "frunk," but way too much money.

I will gladly winch that thing out if I see one out in the wilderness and he needs help, but I am going to stick with my 10K Jeep for a while anyway?

It is pretty impressive that it will go 400 miles on a tank of charge. That is two tanks of gas for me.

I wonder if you can haul a generator in the back and charge it while you are driving with your good ole reliable gas motor gen? Ha

I wonder what kind of batteries it uses. That’s been the biggest set back for electric vehicles but some of the new technologies are incredible.
After reading a bunch about electric conversions and working on electric forklifts for some time I might consider swapping in an electric motor if my 4.0 ever decides to bite it. But 4.0’s run forever so that might never happen.

Reactions: TJ Starting
They do not mention the range when towing the Airstream, I suspect it sucks.

I suspect you’re right as well.

I know someone with a Nissan Leaf and he tells me that the range in the city is excellent. However, once you get it on the highway maintaining 65mph, the range goes down significantly. Take it through any mountain passes at those speeds and the range goes down even more.

I still don’t think electric vehicles are there yet. I guarantee if you tow anything large with that truck it’s just going to eat the range right up.

Let’s also not forget about freezing temperatures, as well as insanely hot temperatures.

I suspect you’re right as well.

I know someone with a Nissan Leaf and he tells me that the range in the city is excellent. However, once you get it on the highway maintaining 65mph, the range goes down significantly. Take it through any mountain passes at those speeds and the range goes down even more.

I still don’t think electric vehicles are there yet. I guarantee if you tow anything large with that truck it’s just going to eat the range right up.

Let’s also not forget about freezing temperatures, as well as insanely hot temperatures.

Could you imagine trying to take a camping vacation, empty the charge towing the trailer 191 miles then try to find an RV park to recharge for the next 12 hours. Rinse and repeat, it would take a week just to get to your destination.

Could you imagine trying to take a camping vacation, empty the charge towing the trailer 191 miles then try to find an RV park to recharge for the next 12 hours. Rinse and repeat, it would take a week just to get to your destination.

Yep, and that's the issue.

EVs are actually fantastic for commuting around town in a city. For that purpose they are a much better choice than an ICE vehicle. However, for long distance travel, towing, and things of that nature, they simply aren't there yet.

I doubt anyone who wants a purpose driven work truck is going to replace it with one of these. Maybe 20 years from now when the technology is much better, but not today.

I think electric vehicles make a great commuter car and I’d love to have one as a second vehicle, however battery and charging tech isn’t there yet in my opinion to have one as your only vehicle. I have no stigma around them though, as long as they’re reliable and look good, I’d drive one (I’m not sure i like the grill on those rivians)

I do think it’s not long until that statement isn’t true any longer though.

(I’m not sure i like the grill on those rivians)

It's far better than the huge ugly grill we have on every 2019/2020 trucks from any manufacturer though.

Agree with the rest of your comment. I think this truck will be a good option for those that just buy trucks as a lifestyle vehicle (aka taking to work and local commutes).

their website shows the spare accessible via a lift up hatch in the bed of the truck... how do you get to the spare if you have 800lbs of dirt in there?!?