RMS and transmission question

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok so I’m curious about the transmission / rear main seal relationship. I’ve read that the trans does not need to be out to the RMS, but if it is out; let’s say for a clutch job, does that make it any easier or have other benefit for the RMS replacement?

Ok so I’m curious about the transmission / rear main seal relationship. I’ve read that the trans does not need to be out to the RMS, but if it is out; let’s say for a clutch job, does that make it any easier or have other benefit for the RMS replacement?

Just makes it easier. It clears up some room to work.

Reactions: UglyDuck
If your RMS seal is leaking, first try this... switch your engine oil to a High Mileage conventional 10W-30. NAPA is a good source. Some synthetic engine oils can strip the natural sealant qualities out of a RMS and cause it to leak. A high mileage engine oil contains seal conditioners that can restore the seal so it's leak free again.

Reactions: UglyDuck
If your RMS seal is leaking, first try this... switch your engine oil to a High Mileage conventional 10W-30. NAPA is a good source. Some synthetic engine oils can strip the natural sealant qualities out of a RMS and cause it to leak. A high mileage engine oil contains seal conditioners that can restore the seal so it's leak free again.

I switched to this immediately when I bought the jeep. Also replaced the VCG a while back to eliminate that leak. Still leaves quite a puddle when parked long enough.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford