Road trip question

kball05

Hey everyone

I don't post much on here. relatively new to the jeep community. I have a 2005 sport with 4.0 201k and rebuilt auto transmission (4Kmiles) with crappy used RC springs 2.5 lift,33s and 3.73 gears. I'm wanting to take it on a 1400 mile road trip in a month. What should I look to check and or replace before I head on my adventure. All of it will be highway and mountain roads.

dfee73318e69b7bc3a66f863cc48cce1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the maintenance has been kept up with, check the tire pressure, check the fluids, put gas in it and have a safe trip. Otherwise, the list can get pretty long.

Reactions: Rob5589
Pretty simple stuff if the maintenance has been kept up.

Most important things would be to check the battery (it should have a date on it for when it expires), tire pressure, tire tread, and basic things like the oil level, coolant level, and other fluid levels. Inspect the brake pads to make sure they have life on them as well.

Lastly, I would get underneath it and make sure there aren't any large, obvious leaks (especially coolant).

Check all your belts and hoses. Make sure the cooling system is up to snuff. Lube the chassis, and check all other fluid levels. Torque lug nuts to spec and air pressures. I did a 2000 mile round trip in mine last year and developed a radiator leak half way thru from a cracked radiator tank. Bring JB weld with you and spare fluids(brake fluid, gear oil, engine oil, power steering fluid).

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to replace my radiator since I have to replace my a/c condenser. Should I go ahead and replace it with OEM or aftermarket. Also is it worth going with a electric fan?

Reactions: Ryan Thomas
Do not go with an electric fan, that's a waste of money and will offer no benefit whatsoever (contrary to popular belief) over the stock fan and cooling system.

As far as radiators go, you definitely want to use a stock OR Mopar radiator.

Here's a good thread worth reading when it comes to overhauling your cooling system (which I would do before a road trip):
Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ

That thread also has all the part numbers for everything you'd need to do your cooling system. You'll find it's actually not nearly as expensive as some might think. A new cooling system using factory parts will last you easily another 100k miles.

That's the one thing I always worry about on higher mileage cars and long road trips... the cooling system. That seems to be the one thing that fails most often.

Reactions: 94c2500
Make sure your windshield washer system works and the tank is full, lots of bugs out there committing suicide now. Found out the hard way recently on our trip. Carry a squeegee and some soapy water just in case to use at rest stops. Really annoying when you can not see well.All of the above are good ideas.

Last edited:
What should I look to check and or replace before I head on my adventure.
I also have 2 cross-country road trips this summer, and have been prepping for them like crazy...but only because I have no idea when all the maintenance had or has ever been done really.

I can tell you, I've changed my differential oils front and rear recently and it has made a noticeable difference in just cruising. Bring a small amount of certain fluids with you, I would say mainly coolant and motor oil at least and have then in an accessible area.

Most importantly...make sure all your speakers jam pretty good, tunes are an absolute must have on any road trip. ;)

X2 on the bug stuff, in addition to the good suggestions above.

My travels take me from Colorado to California on a very frequent basis, with different routes. I carry a can of "Sprayway" glass cleaner, clean rags, and a compact squeegee . Too many times I have found the gas station windshield wash contaminated, smearing my windshield with goo that is hell to get off.

This trip I'm on, I hit a patch of bugs all at once that made my windshield look like a LA drive-by shooting (where the rounds actually hit). No place to stop for miles, and when I did, all it took was a soaking spray, a squeegee scrape, wipe, and then a cleaning spray and wipe. Super clean, on my way.

Also, if you do frequent long road trips, you might want to consider for the future, an extended range fuel tank. I went with the Gen-right 24 gal tank. It bolted right in to my stock 2006 TJ mounting, used the stock fuel sending unit and lines. They did recommend a 1" body lift for tank-top clearance. Didn't care for that idea, but did it anyway, and it looks fine.

They are pricey, I lucked out with my extended warranty, and some dealership arguing about being sold a jeep with a known safety hazard (fuel splash-back), that it was covered.

Have a safe and fun road trip

Ray

Reactions: MikeM
X2 on the bug stuff, in addition to the good suggestions above.

My travels take me from Colorado to California on a very frequent basis, with different routes. I carry a can of "Sprayway" glass cleaner, clean rags, and a compact squeegee . Too many times I have found the gas station windshield wash contaminated, smearing my windshield with goo that is hell to get off.

This trip I'm on, I hit a patch of bugs all at once that made my windshield look like a LA drive-by shooting (where the rounds actually hit). No place to stop for miles, and when I did, all it took was a soaking spray, a squeegee scrape, wipe, and then a cleaning spray and wipe. Super clean, on my way.

Also, if you do frequent long road trips, you might want to consider for the future, an extended range fuel tank. I went with the Gen-right 24 gal tank. It bolted right in to my stock 2006 TJ mounting, used the stock fuel sending unit and lines. They did recommend a 1" body lift for tank-top clearance. Didn't care for that idea, but did it anyway, and it looks fine.

They are pricey, I lucked out with my extended warranty, and some dealership arguing about being sold a jeep with a known safety hazard (fuel splash-back), that it was covered.

Have a safe and fun road trip

Ray
Add a small amount of vinegar to your window washer cleaner reservoir to avoid streaking too!

Thanks again everyone. I have another question. I've had a on going issue with a leak that is coming in on my passenger side floor it streams down under the dash. I just don't know how I've done this and got rid of the foam but still water can't figure out how.
5c9dbba1053ab092dd3c77e1447a5f3f.jpg