Road trip to Colorado

Chef boy Ali

Taking my TJ to colorado in a few weeks and wondering if I should put the hard top on for the journey. We plan to visit a few state parks, and hit up some trails. Is the soft top over kill for a road trip?

Reactions: Chris
Me personally, I can't stand the soft top on road trips, especially on the highway. I LOVE the hardtop for long trips and wouldn't have it any other way.

Based on road noise? I'm leaning towards the hard top for visibility, security, and fuel efficiency

Based on road noise for sure. The hard top is much, much quieter than the soft top. Also, I feel like it has better visibility, and no doubt about better security.

I'd travel with the hardtop to.
Once in Colorado if you are camping in one spot it is pretty easy to lift the hardtop off and go topless when the weather is right.

Everyone is going to be different, but I love my hard top so much that I got rid of the soft top completely. I simply have no need for it. I'm either a top on or top off type of guy. There is no in between.

And, I always read the weather report before I go out. So, if there's a chance of rain, I put the hard top on, no questions asked.

Everyone is going to be different, but I love my hard top so much that I got rid of the soft top completely. I simply have no need for it. I'm either a top on or top off type of guy. There is no in between.

And, I always read the weather report before I go out. So, if there's a chance of rain, I put the hard top on, no questions asked.

I have thought about that philosophy. I like the cleaner look of no top.

Reactions: Chris
I have to admit, that was part of my reasoning as well. It looks so much cleaner without any soft top there in back.
Do you have quick release fasteners for the hard top then? Seems like it would be a nuisance to take on and off based on weather

Do you have quick release fasteners for the hard top then? Seems like it would be a nuisance to take on and off based on weather

Yeah, I do. I've also got a hard top hoist in the garage. I can get it on or off in about 5-10 minutes tops.

I'm off to Summit and Jackson counties in a couple weeks also (basically the first week of July). Going to hang out and drive the access roads up near Troublesome Pass/green Ridge area near Rand.

As for the top, I definitely leave my hard top on for road trips. There's only so much noise I can deal with for 14 hours. That, and this time of year you are definitely bound to get rained on up there at some point. And, like they said before, it's pretty easy to take off at camp.

Have a great trip!