Road trip to Ohakune

Kiwi TJ

I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Decided it was time I took a 2 day road trip , south towards the middle if the North Island, a small ski town called Ohakune, I detoured slightly and visited a vintage car wrecker yard over a number of acres then the next day did a 3 hour mountain bike trail.....I start the pics with the trip down.
DSCN0918.JPG
DSCN0812.JPG
DSCN0809.JPG
DSCN0957.JPG
DSCN0962.JPG
DSCN0956.JPG

The wreckers yard was awesome ..3 hours later I had to leave and make my way to my motel :(
Loved the cars though, some old and new....some rare and some I just felt sorry for..
OUTSIDE FIRST...(I took dozens of photos so Im careful to bore you too much lol)
DSCN0818.JPG
DSCN0820.JPG
DSCN0852 (2).JPG
DSCN0865.JPG
DSCN0854.JPG
DSCN0868.JPG
DSCN0879.JPG
DSCN0881.JPG
DSCN0896.JPG
DSCN0890.JPG
DSCN0884.JPG

The ride is called the 'Old Coach Road' track...about 1908 is used to be the link road between to railways as the terrain was too difficult and costly to get a train track through it. Half way there is a huge viaduct that's was restored which you can cycle over.
DSCN0928.JPG
DSCN0932.JPG
DSCN0950.JPG
DSCN0949.JPG
DSCN0940.JPG
DSCN0946.JPG
DSCN0945.JPG

Another viaduct and part of the original coach trail and part of the original road.
The last few pics are coming out from the forest to open fields and a long fast downhill part.....wooohoooo !!!
DSCN0933.JPG
DSCN0936.JPG
DSCN0935.JPG

DSCN0955.JPG

DSCN0938.JPG

Last edited:
Dang, Kiwi! That's some beautiful scenery, my friend!
Thanks buddy, in 3 hours of mountain biking I cycled through everything from tight single tracks to big open spaces...wet muddy to dry and cobbled, uphill and down again...loved it

Welcome to the forum and to Jeeps too.... This jeep thing will get under your skin thats for sure haha.
Im planning a trip down to see my parents in Chch at the end of the year , maybe early Jan...Just getting my TJ ready for the big trip at the moment.

Reactions: AutoCrat
Welcome to the forum and to Jeeps too.... This jeep thing will get under your skin thats for sure haha.
Im planning a trip down to see my parents in Chch at the end of the year , maybe early Jan...Just getting my TJ ready for the big trip at the moment.

Would love to catch up, let me know when your are passing through Welly and if you will have time for few cold cans. Haha.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Ive had my TJ for 10 years so Its part of the family now

I totally understand that feeling, you will spot another rare breed (Parked next to TJ in garage) in one of the pictures in my thread. I bought that in 2005 in USA and carrying with me everywhere ever since. Lol.

• Love
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Would love to catch up, let me know when your are passing through Welly and if you will have time for few cold cans. Haha.

Sounds like a plan.... Its gonna be a long haul...but worth every minute.
There are only a few Kiwi's on this site... allot have come for a short time and gone again.....Maybe I could make a new post to see how many Kiwi member we have on here now that are active

Reactions: AutoCrat
I totally understand that feeling, you will spot another rare breed (Parked next to TJ in garage) in one of the pictures in my thread. I bought that in 2005 in USA and carrying with me everywhere ever since. Lol.

Yeah I did spot that... looks awesome...do you have any other pics of it ?