Road trip!

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
We got the TJ out in the woods this weekend to celebrate the wonderful weather. Did slightly under 300 miles between Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Only about 40 miles of that was on what could generously be called pavement. The rest was on dirt and gravel. Did the loop from Carleton to Tillamook, and then back to Forest Grove and then home on Saturday. The two short trips on Friday and Sunday were nice, but we ran into a few wanderers who have been listening to the advertisements to "Get out and visit your Forest" that the local ad counsel and the US Forest Service have been running all winter. Going to have to watch out for those folks in the woods this spring. They are what a mariner would call a hazard to navigation.

The creeks are full, the trees are green, the roads came through the winter in pretty good shape and life is good! Spotted the eastern Elk herd, and the cows are really fat and pregnant. The western herd is still MIA at the moment. Lots of deer sign, but no deer. The bears are out and about, but didn't spot any.

Gotta love the PNW in the spring!

Reactions: Chris
Very cool! I'm with you 100%. The PNW in the Spring and Summer is fantastic. There are so many roads up here that I haven't explored, it's just mind boggling!

Reactions: StG58
Working on two new routes right now. One from McMinnville to Astoria and one from Mollala over towards Sisters. The latter one is going to be difficult because of the Warm Springs reservation and the "Wilderness Areas" in the Cascades. Haven't figured out how to thread the needle yet.

More like 16 - 17 mpg. Gas mileage really sucks, comparatively, when you spend most of your time running around in 1st and 2nd gear going straight up the side of a mountain. On the bright side, the 4 banger does really well at that and doesn't totally suck gas and blow it out the tailpipe. I know people think I'm crazy, but there is a method to my madness.

Oh, and I remembered that I need to relocate my rear license plate. No hits, no runs and no errors, but it did take a significant wack from a rather large tree branch on one of the trails we were on Saturday. Gotta get that thing off the corner of the tub, or I'll be wondering where it went one of these days.

Reactions: Stinger