Rock Rails or Slides for an LJ

Jorge Bolivar

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
After miss (not really miss it but a fellow Jeeper solid advice me not to go without rock rails) the chance to be on Stillwell Stomper jamboree for not have rock rails. I decide to look for rock or root damage protection for my LJ. I have been seen few styles, frame drilled, body mounted, frame/body mount mounted but can't make my mind as I do think they will bent on the middle due the LJ long wheel base. Maybe is me, not sure.
Not looking to play on the rocks like @Jerry Bransford but definitely like to be ready in case I do encounter that situation.
What do you guys opinion or recommendation it is?

Something tub mounted seems to be the preference. I think that design is stronger and looks better. Provides way more protection than the frame mounted rails.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

I was wondering about this as well. I still have the rubicon stock guards on my body and I was wondering if I should get frame mounted ones and leave the stock sliders on that way if the frame mounted guards flex at all it will just flex into the steel rubicon slider. I also like the idea of a lower guard for a step into the jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about this as well. I still have the rubicon stock guards on my body and I was wondering if I should get frame mounted ones and leave the stock sliders on that way if the frame mounted guards flex at all it will just flex into the steel rubicon slider. I also like the idea of a lower guard for a step into the jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went this route as well, using some Body Armor Rock Rails. Not as strong as tub mounted but I hope in conjunction with the stock Rubi stuff, should be ok. I've bonked them once or twice on the trail and they held up well. Really didn't want to remove the stock stuff and then drill more holes in the side of the Jeep.