Rock slider / nerf bars?

John Z

What is a good solution for a rock slider that also functions as a side-step / nerf bar?

Currently I have Rugged Ridge nerf bars which are great for getting in and out of the car. However, it would be nice to have something that also serves as protection for the rocks.

This is the best I am aware of that serves both purposes... some are designed mostly as a step with some protection, others like Savvy's are designed with protection as the primary goal with a step as its secondary goal... http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-TJ-Rock-Step-Steel-Sliders-RKR-STEP.htm

I'm running Savvy's rocker guard with the narrower version of the steel slider so it's not much of a step at all like the above model has. At 68, I still don't have need for a step to get into my TJ running 35's and 5" of lift. :)

How tall are you Jerry? My TJ is 5" as well and I think my lack of height (5'9) makes it more challenging to get in and out. Not that I can't do it without steps, they just make it easier of course!

The case of the incredible shrinking man...

My USAF records say I was 6-0 at induction in 1966 but my medical records said I was 5-10 many years ago. I'm lucky if I'm 5-9 now lol. My 25 year old son who just left to go back to Louisiana just finally made it to 5-10 when I measured him during his visit home and he now finally seems taller than me which he is just giddy over lol.

Reactions: Chris
I gotta say I haul my ass up into the Jeep with a good pull on my rollbar's grab handle. Without that handle I might need a step but I think getting in with a step is harder than with just a quick pull up from the handle.

I gotta say I haul my ass up into the Jeep with a good pull on my rollbar's grab handle. Without that handle I might need a step but I think getting in with a step is harder than with just a quick pull up from the handle.

Agreed on the handle. I find myself pulling my weight up from the roll bar handle so a step is probably useless.

Have you seen those M.O.R.E collapsible steps? Seem pretty cool, but looks like it might be an invitation to get ripped right off on the rocks.

When I get the Savvy sliders, I've always just planned on putting a piece of skateboard type tape on top of the slider to add some grip if I decided that was needed. I'd rather have a slightly harder time getting in the jeep than sacrifice strength of armor. The entire weight of the jeep can come down on the rocker guards and I'd rather not buckle it.

But like Jerry, I just swing my leg up in the jeep and pull myself up. However, unlike Jerry, I'm only one year out of undergrad :D

Bonescustomcreations.com

Made locally in oregon city, or.
We've got countless hours in the fitment.

20160120_152859.jpg